Not losing weight??

I'm female, 5'5 160lb and I exercise daily. Every day I go on long exhausting bike rides(if I'm feeling especially lazy I'll go longboarding a shortish distance) until I feel fatigued, and I love it! But I've only been gaining and gaining. I understand that it's likely muscle, but my waist is 33 inches and that's said to be unhealthy for my height...

I've been exercising for almost a year daily (except for vacation which was 4 weeks). The smallest weight I've been at was 153 which was after my vacation, backing up my belief that is was muscle contributing to my weight. I've been around 161 and 162 for the last few years, (the highest I've been at was 170 which was after I was in a wheelchair for a bit.)

I don't understand why I'm unable to take inches off my waist! I'm 40-33-39, and that hasn't changed significantly in a while.
People often tell me I'm busty/curvy but I want to look athletic.. I play several sports and do track. My diet is usually water or powerade for drinks and fruit and vegetables for food. I am guilty of junk food once or twice a week, and when I eat junk food I go to town on it.
I can get over the fact that my weight is result of toned muscles, but I don't look as toned (stomach wise) as I 'am'.
Is there something I can do differently to fix this? Perhaps a different diet?

Replies

• ramiromuniz1
    ramiromuniz1 Posts: 13 Member
    Are you tracking calories? Weighing your food portions?
  • Supertact
    Supertact Posts: 466 Member
    You're clearly not in a calorie deficit.

That's all it takes to lose weight.

You eat too much.
  • ramiromuniz1
    ramiromuniz1 Posts: 13 Member
    Gotta respect the beard. This guy knows what he's talking about lol
  • A healthy weight range for 5'6 is 125-155 so you aren't very far off of the top of your range. Don't focus too much on your waist measurement as body types can play into waist measurement. Focus in how you are feeling. You may want to head to you DR. and talk to them. They may have suggestions.
  • lavendah
    lavendah Posts: 126 Member
    It's not all about what you're eating..It's about HOW MUCH too.

I know it's healthy to remove processed/junk food, sugar etc from your diet but I personally haven't been able to do so.I have only reduced the quantity to the point at which I don't starve myself.And I'm losing ,though it has slowed down.

I'm not saying you should go my way..If you eat good stuff and also track the calories,it would be the best and I'm sure you'll start losing.

As for waist of 33 inches being 'unhealthy' for your height,I've never heard something like that..Your waist size will also depend on your natural shape (which you can hardly change). Are you an apple shape? You don't have to worry about specific measurements,just the range in which your overall weight and bodyfat falls in.
  • UnfortunateOrange
    UnfortunateOrange Posts: 2 Member
    Thank you! I did a test to see my proper calorie deficit and was given a meal plan with food suggestions and so on. If anyone wants to check out the site I used --- http://shtrainer.com/pages/v2/free-diet-plan-workout-routine.html
    It's pretty straight forward and simple, and sets up a perfect plan.

I'm definitely going to change my diet, before I didn't really know what I should be doing because I'm not too keen on keeping track of calories due to advice from an old nutrition teacher. Reading up on this stuff shows that a lot of what he taught me is off. Once again, thanks!