Middle-aged, polycystic and diabetic and LOSING -- pics

Options
I have been lurking on these boards for awhile and seeing people's stories/pics on here has been very motivating and has helped me immensely. I've decided to share my story to help other ladies out there who are like me and may be feeling discouraged.

So, I have been overweight/obese my entire life. I have lost weight many times in the past but this time it feels different. I am fully committed and willing to do what it takes to get to my goal this time and stay there. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes and polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) in my early 20s. If you're not familiar with PCOS, it is a hormonal disorder that makes weight loss more difficult (amongst many other things). Since I have been logging my calories here on MFP and walking (LOVE my fitbit) I have lost 25 lbs in a month and a half and on my way to 30 lbs lost for 2 months! I am posting these pics for other ladies out there who are like me...YOU CAN DO THIS! I started at size 20/22 and am now into a size 16/18 with 18's quickly becoming too big. I am 5'5 and my start weight was 265 and I am now 240 just for reference. I know I have a long way to go but I feel like I am making steps in the right direction. Being middle aged and having PCOS is a challenge yes, but one you can overcome!

This is me at my starting weight. I am mostly very camera shy (like many of us obese ladies are) so I don't have many full body shots, sorry. The first pic is of me in my Halloween costume and the 2nd is one of me playing Scrabble with a buddy of mine. I am about 265+ in these pics.

heidihalloween1_zps5a4aa22f.jpg
heidiscrabble_zpscc17a6b7.jpg

This is me taken this morning after losing 25 lbs. It's kind of hard to tell the difference so I am also including a face pic for reference as well (after the loss). Sorry for the poor pic quality.

progress1_zps83014365.jpg
heidiselfie_zpsffde195e.jpg

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    You are doing GREAT! Congratulations on your success so far.

I'm 38 and have PCOS. I know that it is supposed to make losing weight harder but I really think that if a person is committed to changing her lifestyle, she can be very successful losing weight and getting in shape despite PCOS. You are a evidence toward that. Keep up the good work :)
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    Thank you so much for the words of encouragement!! I appreciate it. ♥
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    You rock, sister! Keep fighting the good fight!
  • runningagainstmyself
    runningagainstmyself Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I'm 27 and was diagnosed with PCOS at 18. I managed to successfully take off 85lb. despite the challenges in weight loss. You are well on your way and I am so happy for you! Keep it up!
  • mlcdz
    mlcdz Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Congrats! That's great progress and your pix are beautiful. I'm trying to tweak my routine as I am losing - albeit VERY slowly (25# in 8 mos.) If you don't mind my asking - how long does it take to get 10,000 steps in your fitbit, how many days a week do you walk, are you doing strength training too? Finally, how many calories a day are you eating? Do you eat whatever you want in your calorie limit or follow a specific type of eating (lo carb, vegan, hi protein, etc). Your information will really help me. Thanks for your time and for sharing your info/story/pictures - it's really helpful!! :smile:
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    I'm more than happy to share what I have been doing.

Right now, I have my calories set at 1260 but I often "eat back" some of the calories I earn from walking so I roughly average about 1500-1700 calories a day. I eat pretty much whatever I want as long as it falls within my calories and so far, that has been working!

I walk at least 15k steps a day and have that set as my default instead of 10k. When I check, 10k is about 3 miles of walking a day for me and I hit 15k at about 6.5-7 miles a day (which is not as hard to do as one would think). I walk a mile on my lunch break at work, park about 1/2 mile from where I work to get in some extra miles and then walk anywhere from 1 hour to 2 hours after work. So far, I haven't done any other exercise but I do plan on incorporating some weight lifting into things down the road as I know it's helped many ladies. Walking so far has been the best for me!!!!! I find that I love it. I walk at a pace of about 2.75 miles an hour at the moment.
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Very well done! you can definately tell the difference - keep up the good work.
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    Thank you very much!!!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    Thank you so much for sharing your inspiring story! I love how you say that losing weight this time feels different, and it sounds like it feels like you're building lifelong habits that aren't a diet, but simply part of your life. I know you'll encourage others to increase their daily steps with your examples of how you fit walking into your day. Keep up the fantastic progress! ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • Crystal4cats
    Options
    Congratulations! PCOS makes it an extra challenge to lose weight, and you are doing very well! You really rock the red outfits!

I'm menopausal, and it's harder to lose weight than before, but MFP is very inspirational. I love reading about other ladies here who are doing so well.

FitBit rules! I love being able to track my activity just living my life. I plan to add weight training and swimming to my activities soon.
  • babydaisy81
    babydaisy81 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    That's great, you look amazing! I have PCOS and it's so frustrating for the weight to come up, I have given up a million times in the past. But not this time! You're a great motivation, its great to hear that you haven;t had to do the carb cutting/reduced dairy/whatever else type of diet that I feel like I need to be on!
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can totally see the difference, especially in your face. You look fantastic and great job!
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    Thank you very much ladies! I really do think I am going to get to my goal this time. It's thanks to kind words like these that help me think, I CAN DO THIS. I don't want PCOS or my age (42) to be excuses. Forty-two is really not *that* old anyway. :-)
  • Wildfire916
    Options
    Not sure if this pic is any better than the other one I posted but it's a little more full length. :)

4fb013b4-612f-4e71-9241-f85b1fc38451_zps78f28be4.jpg
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    WOW! You're looking and doing tremendous--thank you so much for posting, your post is truly inspirational!
    :love: :flowerforyou: :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!