why do i gain weight so easily?

Options
Hi,

I have just been on holidays with my friends. We went to the french mountains and did a lot of climbing, walking, hiking and running.

I ate much less than most of my friends. This evening I checked my weight and gained almost 5 lbs. None of my friend gained weight. How can you explain this? I am much taller and heavier than most of my friends so my BMR should be higher than them.

Thanks for your feedback!

Replies

• levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating at a deficit for a long period of time and this was a "splurge" it's mostly water weight. I once gained 4 lbs overnight because I ate too much pizza. I then lost the same 4 lbs the following day.

Just get back to your plan.
  • ndrec
    ndrec Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    It's just water retention. For example, I usually fluctuate for about 4 Lbs depending how much carbs I eat and I'm able to gain or lose that much in just 48-72 hours eating the same amount of overall Kcals and protein, but juggling with carbs and fat.
  • apeandjazz
    apeandjazz Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    hi iam lost haha, how can I make a post like this iam kinda new and I have tried but nobody has answered me ?> help please thanks in advance
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    ugh....srs dude???
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I have just been on holidays with my friends. We went to the french mountains and did a lot of climbing, walking, hiking and running.

I ate much less than most of my friends. This evening I checked my weight and gained almost 5 lbs. None of my friend gained weight. How can you explain this? I am much taller and heavier than most of my friends so my BMR should be higher than them.

Have you considered getting professional help? From all the threads you've created it really seems to me that you might have an eating disorder or possibly body dysmorphia and I think you're looking to the wrong place for help :flowerforyou:
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Have you considered getting professional help? From all the threads you've created it really seems to me that you might have an eating disorder or possibly body dysmorphia and I think you're looking to the wrong place for help :flowerforyou:

I'd have to agree.
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    Hi,

I'd have to agree.

I agree as well.

You need it at this point
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Jamal_Guildford Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Honestly... I had an eating disorder last year. But now i think i know how the body works so i got rid of this eating order.

As for the weight gain, i thought it was a water rention too. The next weeks will tell me if i am right.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Honestly... I had an eating disorder last year. But now i think i know how the body works so i got rid of this eating order.

As for the weight gain, i thought it was a water rention too. The next weeks will tell me if i am right.

to be hoenst, if you knew how your body worked, you wouldnt have posted this topic?
  • arfuss
    arfuss Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My advice is!

Forget about weight! Unless you have alot of knowledge and equipment to measure body fat, musclemass, bones, watermass etc. Forget about weight and start looking in the mirror! Instead of taking your weight.. Get a camera and place it on a tripod.. Take a picture once a week.and let the camera stay put. Take a picture at the same location every week. Front, back, . And compare them after 4 weeks!
  • Laura3BB
    Laura3BB Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations I think.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    Oh dear.. don't get me started on that. I have crazy water weight gains (in the upwards of 7-8 pounds). The taller and bigger framed you are, the more water you retain when you do retain. Stop worrying about that. It will level out in less than a week.
  • littlekitty3
    littlekitty3 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    Hi,

You weighed yourself in the evening.
    Water retention.
    Eating less can sometimes lead to weight gain long term...I know that one sounds crazy. Especially when there's a past of ED, the body retaliates and reacts to it because it wants to live.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Hi,

to be hoenst, if you knew how your body worked, you wouldnt have posted this topic?

Because I think I still have a lot of things to learn... this is why I posted this topic
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Hi,

You weighed yourself in the evening.
    Water retention.
    Eating less can sometimes lead to weight gain long term...I know that one sounds crazy. Especially when there's a past of ED, the body retaliates and reacts to it because it wants to live.

I also think this is water retention. We will see in the next weeks.

And I dont get crazy because I gained a few pounds. I am 6.4 for 178 lbs (BMI: 21.5) so this is not a big deal if I gain a few pounds.
  • Jamal_Guildford
    Options
    Oh dear.. don't get me started on that. I have crazy water weight gains (in the upwards of 7-8 pounds). The taller and bigger framed you are, the more water you retain when you do retain. Stop worrying about that. It will level out in less than a week.

I am not worried at all... I also think this is water retention. Getting back to my previous habits and see how it goes.
  • slimbettie
    slimbettie Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else on the water retention thing. I have learned to not even worry if the scale goes up or down at as much as 8lbs at a time....I can gain and loose 8lbs overnight, it's like magic! Oh wait, it is not magic. It is water retention.