Can't do a squat properly

Options
It seems that when someone is teaching me how to do squats I wake up the next day feeling sore but when I do squats lets say a week later on my own (the way I was taught) it doesn't feel right and I wake up the next day feeling nothing.

It's frustrating because I know I'm doing them wrong as I am doing them and I can't understand why that is if I JUST watched a video or was given advice on how to do squats properly not long ago.

I have tried putting a chair behind me, facing a wall, using a medicine ball, etc. I feel nothing at all if I am doing it on my own.

(Please don't tell me to get a trainer. My budget says no)
All other advice welcomed!
I'm hoping someone has something I haven't tried yet.

Replies

• Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It seems that when someone is teaching me how to do squats I wake up the next day feeling sore but when I do squats lets say a week later on my own (the way I was taught) it doesn't feel right and I wake up the next day feeling nothing.

It's frustrating because I know I'm doing them wrong as I am doing them and I can't understand why that is if I JUST watched a video or was given advice on how to do squats properly not long ago.

I have tried putting a chair behind me, facing a wall, using a medicine ball, etc. I feel nothing at all if I am doing it on my own.

If you go to a gym feel free to walk up to a trainer or someone who works there & ask them to help you with your form - more than likely they'd be happy to!!

Oh and sore doesn't always indicate progress or a good workout :smile:
  • LolaKarwowski
    LolaKarwowski Posts: 217 Member
    Options

If you go to a gym feel free to walk up to a trainer or someone who works there & ask them to help you with your form - more than likely they'd be happy to!!

Oh and sore doesn't always indicate progress or a good workout :smile:

If I ask a trainer they just keep telling me that they can train me for so and so money and blah blah blah. I mean they do end up showing me.. but only after talking to them for 15-20 minutes (not kidding!)

So I shouldn't be looking for soreness always? I really thought that's how one knew they had a great workout.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    the lack of aching muscles does not mean you're doing them wrong.

why do you think you're doing squats wrong? If it's just the lack of aching muscles, then ignore that, it means nothing. If it's something else then please say what it is and maybe there are other things we can suggest to help
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options

why do you think you're doing squats wrong? If it's just the lack of aching muscles, then ignore that, it means nothing. If it's something else then please say what it is and maybe there are other things we can suggest to help

It's just the fact that I'm sore when someone is showing me how to do a squat properly and then I'm not sore when I do them on my own. That's really the only thing I telling me I was doing them wrong.
  • Megmo127
    Megmo127 Posts: 76 Member
    Options

It's just the fact that I'm sore when someone is showing me how to do a squat properly and then I'm not sore when I do them on my own. That's really the only thing I telling me I was doing them wrong.

Also, maybe try a different variation of a squat! There are SO many that all produce great results!

http://www.leanitup.com/9-must-do-squat-variations-torch-fat-demolish-lower-body/

Here are a few ^^
  • RunningMyPugandPapi
    RunningMyPugandPapi Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Put the medicine ball on the floor and squat until your butt hits it. Then do, say, 3-5 sets of 10 reps of that. If you don't feel that the next day, then do more sets the next time (or up your reps).

But maybe you've just got really strong quads already :) If that's the case, try squatting with a weighted barbell!
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Not being sore does not mean you are not doing squats correctly. It could be that when you were doing them with someone you used more weights, or did more reps, or did something else that made you sore.

What type of squats are you doing (body weight, with a bar - and if so, how heavy, goblet, etc.)? It's hard to give you some advice without knowing a bit more.
  • farfromthetree
    farfromthetree Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    That is a tough question. My first thought would have been the medicine ball. The only thing I can think of is when I am being watched, I think my squats are slower and I concentrate more on my form, tighening my glutes/legs. When I do them at home I feel like I rush...
  • micheleld73
    micheleld73 Posts: 914 Member
    Options
    That is a tough question. My first thought would have been the medicine ball. The only thing I can think of is when I am being watched, I think my squats are slower and I concentrate more on my form, tighening my glutes/legs. When I do them at home I feel like I rush...

Agreed!! On my own I tend to do them faster which means I'm not working the muscle, it's more like I'm doing cardio. I find if I do weighted squats, I tend to do them slower and focus on the movement and not the number of squats.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

Then you're not doing them wrong. Muscle soreness does not mean you had a better workout than if you did the same workout and didn't get sore. Personally, I get soreness from doing a new exercise, the next time I do the same exercise, I don't get sore, or any of the times after that, even doing the same workout with heavier weights than before.

Sounds to me like you're doing them right and you just have a false idea in your head that you have to be sore after a good workout. You don't have to be. Soreness is *not* an indicator of how good the workout is. You can do an excellent workout and not get sore after it.
  • Walter__
    Walter__ Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Once you've been lifting for a decent amount of time, you don't get sore anymore. Your muscles feel a little fatigued, sure, but not sore.

If you're sure that you've got the correct form then start to focus on your mind-muscle connection. That means if you want to work your *kitten*, then focus on feeling your *kitten* when you squat. Really focus and think about feeling your glutes throughout the entire range of motion, from top to bottom.

Mind-muscle connection makes a hell of a difference.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Put the medicine ball on the floor and squat until your butt hits it. Then do, say, 3-5 sets of 10 reps of that. If you don't feel that the next day, then do more sets the next time (or up your reps).

But maybe you've just got really strong quads already :) If that's the case, try squatting with a weighted barbell!

Or squat jumps. That will teach those quads what for! XD
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options

As mentioned, the soreness means nothing. Video your squats if you think you're doing something wrong.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Funny funny!! I have a trainer so I'll tell you the words I always hear!! Arch your back, chest out (I sometimes have to look angled like upwards to do these 2), knees bent, butt sticking up and out, and drive at the knees using the hip joint as your hinge. You will feel it!!
  • Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Options

As mentioned, the soreness means nothing. Video your squats if you think you're doing something wrong.

Agree. Soreness is part of the adaptation process and as you keep exercising with a specific movement, your body adapts and gets stronger and soreness will lessen over time. That's why "muscle confusion" is very misguided, but let's not digress to that. LOL. Video your self like recommended, watch something by Mark Rippletoe or "So You Think You Can Squat" and try to practice. You can definitely do some practice with air squats, then grab a dumbbell and do some Goblet Squats. The load is of course in a different position but it's a good way to learn the range of motion with some kind of load.
  • LolaKarwowski
    Options
    Not being sore does not mean you are not doing squats correctly. It could be that when you were doing them with someone you used more weights, or did more reps, or did something else that made you sore.

What type of squats are you doing (body weight, with a bar - and if so, how heavy, goblet, etc.)? It's hard to give you some advice without knowing a bit more.

It's great to know now that soreness is not an indicator of a great workout. This makes me feel a lot better, especially since I'm a newbie and I could of gone months and months thinking this. So thank you all for that!

I'm just doing a regular squat for now. No machines, no dumbbells, no medicine ball, etc. I really want to make sure my form is perfect before adding any weights. Without a trainer or friend there, I will have to video tape myself and compare with other videos I can find online!
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Once you've been lifting for a decent amount of time, you don't get sore anymore. Your muscles feel a little fatigued, sure, but not sore.

If you're sure that you've got the correct form then start to focus on your mind-muscle connection. That means if you want to work your *kitten*, then focus on feeling your *kitten* when you squat. Really focus and think about feeling your glutes throughout the entire range of motion, from top to bottom.

Mind-muscle connection makes a hell of a difference.

I read this in the voice of the yoga teacher from Couples Retreat.
    Um not that I saw that movie.....
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options

I'm just doing a regular squat for now. No machines, no dumbbells, no medicine ball, etc. I really want to make sure my form is perfect before adding any weights.

Though bear in mind you'll be making adjustments to that form once you put a bar on your back, regardless.
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I'm just doing a regular squat for now. No machines, no dumbbells, no medicine ball, etc. I really want to make sure my form is perfect before adding any weights. Without a trainer or friend there, I will have to video tape myself and compare with other videos I can find online!

If you're just on body weight squats, that might be why you are not sore. I'm new to lifting (1 month in) and I find that I have to go up on my squat weight pretty rapidly in order to continually feel "sore" from the squats (at least 5 lbs or more per week). A lack of soreness does not mean that your muscles are not growing; muscles can grow without micro tearing, although some people say that they grow more rapidly with a certain amount of tearing (which is what creates the soreness). Too much tearing is over training, so there's some happy medium there.

With that in mind, you can still train without getting sore - By way of example; eventually I will not be able to increase my squat weight because of other limitations (for example, how much I can lift with my arms or back), but I will still train the muscle, whether or not it gets sore, and it will still grow, although likely not as rapidly as before.

If you like the soreness (some people do; I do, even though I know it's not necessary), you can try switching up your workout (a new exercise is more likely to produce soreness), or add some weights (start slow; going too heavy will just create injuries).
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options

It's great to know now that soreness is not an indicator of a great workout. This makes me feel a lot better, especially since I'm a newbie and I could of gone months and months thinking this. So thank you all for that!

You can put the videos on YouTube and post links here for feedback.

Don't completely rule out a trainer. I found a powerlifter who runs a gym and charged me $25 for an hour session and changed my squat and deadlift for the better. Beats the advice I was paying way more for at my regular gym.