Acid reflux?!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• GDLAZ
    GDLAZ Posts: 3,784 Member
    Options
    For me if I eat tomato based foods too late in the evening it can occur. One thing that helps is to keep your head elevated. I have friends who put bricks under the head of their bed to ensure this. But you may want to consult a doc to see if it is not a medical issue that can be resolved.
  • johnwhitent
    johnwhitent Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    Another perspective: Mine disappeared when I lost weight, and my doctor said that is quite common. I eat, and have always eaten, spicy foods, breads, carbs, etc. I have never restricted any food group and lost weigh by cutting calories and lost the acid reflux by losing weight.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options
    Reflux has nothing to do with what you eat.

Yes it does.

OP: Certain foods trigger acid reflux. The most common triggers are alcohol, black pepper, garlic, raw onion, spicy foods, chocolate, citrus fruits (and orange juice), coffee, tea, soda, peppermint, and tomatoes.

Don't overeat. Several small meals throughout the day is better than 2 or 3 large meals.

Do not eat close to bedtime. Lying down makes digestion more difficult leading to reflux.

Obesity also causes acid reflux because the excess fat around the belly increases the pressure on the stomach, forcing fluid up into the esophagus. Losing weight= less reflux (maybe even no reflux!)

Other causes of reflux include hiatal hernia, pregnancy, smoking, asthma, diabetes, and delayed stomach emptying.

I personally take Protonix for my reflux. It's the only PPI that has worked for me. I hear it is the best RX medication for acid reflux.
  • idmalone
    idmalone Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Please see a doctor. Reflux puts you at an increased risk for oesophageal cancer, and is already disturbing your sleep. There are so many things (food, underlying medical issues, stress, etc) which could be contributing, MFP (no offense to all the very helpful people here) is not the place for medical advice. Neither is google.