Eat or Throw It Out?

Options
Last night I pigged out and ordered a deep dish pizza (just got back to Chicago and barely eat them). I have 4 remaining slices in my fridge. I saved it for left overs, but now that I see the calories, I see that one slice is over my daily calorie limit. And half a slice won't really be enough to eat for me.

So I have come to the conclusion, I need to suck it up, eat the pizza, and do better on food choices once I finish it off or I just throw it away and forget about it.

Not sure what I should do? I hate throwing away good food, but I really don't need those calories.

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    throw it out.. because deep dish is disgusting and it's not pizza :tongue:

seriously though, why cant you just fit the calories from the pizza into your calorie goal?

ETA : i just read better and one slice is over your calorie goal?!? is your calorie goal under 600 or something??
  • dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Is it Lou Malnatis , Giordano, Pizzeria Due!!! Yummy!!!!

Eat one slice and have a side salad with it if your calories allow. Why throw it out if you dont come to Chicago often unless you are here to stay and plan on going in the future then toss.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I think you're misreading something. One slice can't possibly be more than your daily calorie allotment, though it might be more than you have left for dinner. :smile:

Wrap the remaining slices up individually and stick them in the freezer for days when you have the wiggle room.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You could cut the slices in half.

But I'd probably toss it, much as it would pain me. I usually avoid ordering pizza for that reason, really--pizza for one night is great on occasion, but if it turns into three nights plus a couple of breakfasts, more than I planned for.
  • GothyFaery
    GothyFaery Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Do you know anyone you could give it to? I too hate to throw away food so if I'm not going to eat it, I bring it to work for my co-workers. They don't mind higher calorie foods.
  • williams969
    williams969 Posts: 2,528 Member
    Options
    throw it out.. because deep dish is disgusting and it's not pizza :tongue:

seriously though, why cant you just fit the calories from the pizza into your calorie goal?

^^Yeah, this? So, one slice is over your calorie goal--what IS your calorie goal? You're male and young, I can't imagine a slice of deep dish being, say 2,500 calories. I'd be one to freeze individual servings and take one out once and a while as an indulgent treat.

Yum, a giant salad with vinaigrette and 1,000-1,500 calories of delicious (if it's a smaller piece) would be a great long run day fuel for me. You *could* just mail it to me, I'd give it a good home, in mah bellay!
  • epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Yeah - Chicago Deep Dish is over my calorie goal for a day - even one slice :( However, I LOVE It. If it is the real deal (i.e. from Chicago) and you never get it (I live too close so this excuse does not work for me) - then you can freeze individual slices already cooked and they reheat really well! I'd do that and pick a splurge day every once in awhile to enjoy (maybe one you know will be a big exercise day).

Oh - I think I read wrong. If you actually live in Chicago - toss it. You can get it anytime. And next time make sure you get it only when you're out with others and can have just one slice. I feel your pain - I haven't had any in over a year because I just can't control myself around real Chicago deep dish.
  • AndyPGonzalez
    AndyPGonzalez Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    1 slice is 1920 calories, I'm only allowed 1490 (with workouts, 1590 today), half a slice would leave me way too hungry. Honestly, as much as I love pizza, I'll freeze it and save it for a cheat day once I can stick to being under my limit for a few days.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Where did you get that calorie estimate? It sounds suspicious. 1000 calories of bread, cheese and toppings shouldn't leave you hungry.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Last night I pigged out and ordered a deep dish pizza (just got back to Chicago and barely eat them). I have 4 remaining slices in my fridge. I saved it for left overs, but now that I see the calories, I see that one slice is over my daily calorie limit. And half a slice won't really be enough to eat for me.

So I have come to the conclusion, I need to suck it up, eat the pizza, and do better on food choices once I finish it off or I just throw it away and forget about it.

Not sure what I should do? I hate throwing away good food, but I really don't need those calories.
    If you want to eat the pizza, eat it.

If you don't, don't.

Do whatever makes you happiest. :)
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    Give me all the pizza!!!!!!!

Seriously, it's only one day. Just eat it and be done with it. Why throw out perfectly good food?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    That's the thing with food, for the average person living in God's own country, anyway

Chicago is not going anywhere. Great food is not going anywhere. If you've eaten to your satisfaction, dispose of the rest of it. You could either store it if you're currently able to, or trash it if you're not, or some of the other suggestions.
  • drabbits3
    drabbits3 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I would bring it to work so it wasn't going to waste but I wasn't getting fat either!!!!!!