Starting back at the gym tonight

Options
So, two of my coworkers and I are starting back at the gym tonight.

Its been a LONG time since I've worked out.

What workouts would you recommend for a "beginner"?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    depending on your starting fitness level and what your gym has you should start on strength training.. if your gym doesnt have a squat rack, power cage or free weights, then look for leg press machine, chest press machine, lat pull down machine , overhead press machine. .

if your gym does have those things and you dont have a good baseline of strength, then work your way up to being able to do at least 45 pounds on those machines after which time you can start using the barbell.

do some cardio (not a crazy amount) where's it's somewhat challenging but not completely uncomfortable. work your way up to being able to do 30 minutes of challenging but not completely uncormfortable cardio.

then after 1-2 months of consistent training you will have developped a good baseline of fitness and can start doing more challenging things
  • princessquitealot
    princessquitealot Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Only the fun ones...the ones that will make you want to do it again and again!
  • johnnylakis
    johnnylakis Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    You have to start slow. Do some treadmill, some stairmaster, some elliptical (not a big fan of the bike). You should also do some light weights. They should have Precor machines, so do some biceps, triceps, chest, abs, (dont worry about lower body for now). The key for now is low weights and many reps. As you progress you should move to more weight and less reps.