Hungry now that I'm lifting

Options
Ever since I started lifting I feel like I am always hungry! Especially on lift days... I always eat my exercise calories back and I even upped my calorie allowance when I started lifting. I've been trying to eat more protein to help my muscles rebuild and to keep me feeling full. I can't figure out why I'm still starving all the time!

I am female 5'3" and 210 lbs. I set my calories at 1860 which is supposed to be around 1 lb a week.

Replies

• stacynoell
    stacynoell Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    How often are you eating? mini meals will help. I am about your height and size and only eat 1500-1600 a week and I lift 3 times a weeks. I eat a protein bar before workout and a half smoothie after for recovery. Total about 500 calories.
  • bschoo01
    bschoo01 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and then a snack or 2. So I feel like I am eating often enough.

Before i started lifting I had my calories set at 1600 and wasn't as hungry then as I am now that I lift and am at 1860 calories.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    How is your fat and fiber intake? Protein is a great one to help feel satiated and retain muscle, typically recommended to eat 1g per pound of lean body mass but fat and fiber also help. I typically eat oatmeal or eggs and cheese for breakfast, they keep me fuller much longer than other things. How's veggie intake? I can squeeze quite a few vegetables into my allowance that helps me feel full. Fruit too.

I definitely feel you on the lifting days and wanting to eat more front ;)
  • bschoo01
    Options
    I could afford to eat more veggies and fruit! I'm more likely to incorporate veggies into something rather than eating them alone. I'm usually slackin a bit on fiber too.

Thanks for the tips :)
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will keep you fuller longer.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    I could afford to eat more veggies and fruit! I'm more likely to incorporate veggies into something rather than eating them alone. I'm usually slackin a bit on fiber too.

Thanks for the tips :)

Absolutely and yes, I am very guilty of hating veggies. They have to be cooked and seasoned or put with other things for me as well! Cucumber slices in salt water is pretty decent. Sometimes I use season salt on zucchini, tomatoes, etc and bake them! Do you like greek yogurt? I eat it almost every day, love it!
  • Momjogger
    Momjogger Posts: 750 Member
    Options
    I usually eat breakfast, lunch, dinner and then a snack or 2. So I feel like I am eating often enough.

Before i started lifting I had my calories set at 1600 and wasn't as hungry then as I am now that I lift and am at 1860 calories.

I am the SAME WAY! I eat more on loft days and less on others. I look at my goal as a weekly, not daily one. I also eat more protein and LOTS more veggies and less processed and starchy carbs (they make me more hungry).
  • bschoo01
    Options
    Unfortunately I am not a yogurt fan! I have tried all brands and flavors hoping I would come across one I would like... I do however like tomatoes and cucumbers with salt and pepper on them! I just don't think to buy them to eat them plain I suppose.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    Eat salads. I like Cardini's low fat dressing, with chicken on it. Raw celery and cucumbers - you don't have to like them, just eat them prior to meals to bulk and sooo good for you. Also try roasting your veggies with a little oil with your meals.
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    the thing is you're supposed to be hungry.

you are doing the work that tells your body that it needs to grow and get stronger but in order to do that energy in the form of food is required. it's always a balancing act when you're lifting, increasing the weights and eating at a deficit. of course to lose weight you dont want to always give in the the nomnoms, but what you can do is start eating more things that will keep you feeling sated and still provide nutrition.

i eat a lot of eggs, avocadoes, thin thin protein bars, 2% fat greek yogurt, and meats like beef pork lamb and chicken as well as fresh fruit and veggies. i eat 1700-2000 calories in 2-3 meals. i find that for me protein and fat are good appetite controllers.
  • eurochick64
    eurochick64 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    After my work out i always have scrambled eggs on toast , course 35 calorie bread ! :noway:
    I eat veggies all the time, sometimes steamed, but i prefer roast they taste better, ...I also lift,!
    At meal times i fill up with salads, or veggies with my protein , Greek yogurt with blueberries / strawberries, whatever is on offer at the store!! :huh:

My point is,There is no reason to ever be hungry, eat LOTS but eat the right things you can eat a LOT for your daily calories..... Try putting different things on your veggies, sometimes i put Mustard on mine, ha ha ha
  • bschoo01
    Options
    ugh! Pasta is one of my weaknesses :(
  • Momjogger
    Options
    I don't like prepared yogurt so I make my own with Fage 0% with fresh or frozen fruit *strawberries and red raspberries are my favorite, and a couple packets of Stevia. Sooo good.
  • Momjogger
    Options
    Pasta - one cup prepared with protein (chicken breast or turkey sausage or turkeymeatballs) and lots of veggies. I like zucchini with pasta. I cut it up, steam it and mix it with the sauce.
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    Protein and fat will keep you fuller longer.

^^^^^^This! Protein, protein, protein. If you are lifting correctly you are tearing down and rebuilding your muscles, for which your body needs protein.