Replies

• gmdaniel
    gmdaniel Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    May he RIP.....I loved Mork and Mindy!
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    I didn't realize that he had been battling depression - such a sad loss.
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    How does one wage war against depression? I don't understand how it takes a person into the abyss. I can't believe it

If you don't suffer from it, you will never understand it. Just accept on the word of us that DO suffer, that that abyss is very much real, and it's more awful and horrifying than you could ever fathom.

You can "wage war" on it by raising awareness, by not sounding disbelieving or judgmental (whether that was your intention or not I can't say) about it, and encouraging those who suffer from depression to seek help, and reminding them that there is always a way out, if they are willing to look for it.

Truth. x1000.
  • twrobbel
    twrobbel Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I saw him recently on the John Stewart show and was quite surprised during the interview about the many battles he has fought personally. Hopefully he is no longer struggling and he is as happy as he has made everyone else.
  • kxbrown27
    kxbrown27 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Dude wasn't just a comedic genius, but he could also play the complete and total creep. One Hour Photo is one of my favorites of his. Utterly disturbing.
  • redrose1026
    redrose1026 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    RIP Robin. You were quite seriously and honestly one of the best in the game, ever. Your absence is going to be very sorely missed. I don't think a celebrity death has hit me quite this hard- Heath Ledger depressed me; but this man - this man is different. I grew up watching this man. It is unbelievable that he is gone so soon. Please be happy and joyful; the way I will always remember you, funny man.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Bangarang Peter......Hook
  • Chevy_Quest
    Chevy_Quest Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    The scene of him singing Figaro in Mrs. Doubtfire - captures just one facet of his brilliance.

Thanks for posting
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    mork-sofa-o.gif
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I just saw a really funny black comedy with him in it this year. I saw him in the early 2000s doing standup at Gotham Comedy Club - it was a surprise appearance - and it was a great performance.
  • Mariachicat
    Mariachicat Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    The movie I really enjoyed was called "World's Greatest Dad".
  • RECowgill
    RECowgill Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    My wife committed suicide a year ago in what sounds like much the same way. She had chronic depression her whole adult life, as far as I know from her teenage years onward. She was 36 and left me with 2 little girls.

Logic doesn't play much part in suicide. People forget how much they are loved and how many people love them and depend on them. The mind enters a tailspin into a black hole. I never knew what she was planning, she was smart and kept it hidden from me. She knew that if I knew her plans I would've stopped her. That's how you can tell when they are serious and it's not just for attention.

It's hard to hear this news and separate one from the other. What I've learned is that suicide is entirely preventable, people need to be proactive and step up, get involved when they see or hear alarming things. In my wife's case we all failed her, her family and mine, there were many opportunities to help that were missed. I think we all need to pay more attention to those at risk people, those who really need it the most.

And a person who commits suicide isn't thinking it through. It inflicts a lot of pain on the living, we have to keep going on thinking about the pain, ourselves and each other. For the one who commits suicide their pain is over, and all they've done is given it to their loved ones.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    My wife committed suicide a year ago in what sounds like much the same way. She had chronic depression her whole adult life, as far as I know from her teenage years onward. She was 36 and left me with 2 little girls.

Logic doesn't play much part in suicide. People forget how much they are loved and how many people love them and depend on them. The mind enters a tailspin into a black hole. I never knew what she was planning, she was smart and kept it hidden from me. She knew that if I knew her plans I would've stopped her. That's how you can tell when they are serious and it's not just for attention.

It's hard to hear this news and separate one from the other. What I've learned is that suicide is entirely preventable, people need to be proactive and step up, get involved when they see or hear alarming things. In my wife's case we all failed her, her family and mine, there were many opportunities to help that were missed. I think we all need to pay more attention to those at risk people, those who really need it the most.

And a person who commits suicide isn't thinking it through. It inflicts a lot of pain on the living, we have to keep going on thinking about the pain, ourselves and each other. For the one who commits suicide their pain is over, and all they've done is given it to their loved ones.

:flowerforyou:
  • neveragain84
    neveragain84 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    :brokenheart:
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    I don't usually get worked up over celebrity deaths, but I am genuinely sad to hear of Robin Williams' passing.
  • LadyCouerlyn
    LadyCouerlyn Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    So incredibly sad. I haven't been able to get over it all day. I don't know that I can watch anything just yet... It's far too soon. Especially since I want to watch Patch Adams... I just... I don't think I can yet...

RIP Robin Williams. You'll be missed by family, friends, and fans alike.
  • airdale8263
    airdale8263 Posts: 2,155 Member
    Options
    RIP Robin Williams. You'll be missed by family, friends, and fans alike.
  • Beautifulbridgittlee7
    Options
    RIP funny man. My mom and I still remember when you were on the Bonnie Hunt show , and literally started talking through your butt.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Watching the birdcage in his honor.:brokenheart:

Another great movie!