How do you measure your waist?

Options
This is something that I've always wondered: when you take your waist measurement, do you take it at the thinnest part of your stomach or just below your belly button? Because for me, fat accumulates more right below my belly button rather than around the smallest part of my stomach, but it might be easier to take it at the same place every time if you do it at the thinnest point. Any opinions or help would be appreciated. :D

Replies

• StephanieMM717
    Options
    I take it right at my belly button... because I know I am taking it at the right place every week. I also keep track of my hips.
  • mbnharrison
    mbnharrison Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I measure right at my belly button but I also measure my chest, rib cage and widest part of my hips :)
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (wish I could find the link) that your "natural waist" is where your body bends - so, to measure my waist, I put my hand to my side, and bend to the left (or right) and that's where I measure - on my body thats usually below my ribs just above my navel.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I measure the thinnest part since that's your true waist.
  • qtwells82
    qtwells82 Posts: 352
    Options
    My fat roll covers my belly button :laugh: :ohwell:
  • Catzwitch
    Catzwitch Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I take one measurement at my belly button that I call my waist measurement and then I take another measurement like an inch or maybe two below that that I call the Pooch measurement. The idea is to get the pooch measurement and the waist measurement as close to the same as possible, lol
  • ivyjbres
    ivyjbres Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I measure at the thinnest part of my waist, but I also accumulate weight/water/bloat in my lower abdomen. I don't measure it, partly because I want to hide from specifics when my belly sticks out further than my boobs, partly because its so easy for me to loose, I don't feel like it really counts. I can gain it back and loose it again over the course of a week if I let myself go and then get back on track.
  • akalei
    akalei Posts: 34
    Options
    I measure the thinnest part too for the waist. Like where my pants sit. But its weird cause if you google it shows people measuring around their belly button area. Thats more like stomach to me. I don't wear my jeans up to my stomach.
  • bellinachuchina
    bellinachuchina Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (wish I could find the link) that your "natural waist" is where your body bends - so, to measure my waist, I put my hand to my side, and bend to the left (or right) and that's where I measure -

Yes, it's where the body naturally creases, when you bend to the side. For me that is in the middle of my ribs & navel!

Here's a couple links w/ pictures:

http://www.vlatex.com/images/measure1.jpg

http://www.ladybikerstuff.com/images/uploads/chart body.jpg

http://www.thai-wedding-dress.com/measureguides/general measurements.jpg
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    I take 2 stomach measurements, smallest area and at my belly button. My stomach has a bad overhang due to an emergency Csection, I aslo measure my hips with and without the overhang. Along with arms, thighs, calves, chest...think I have 13 points I measure once a month.
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Trainers measure your waist right where the top of your hip bone is, usually level with the belly button.

For your own, at home, information, you can do it that way OR in the alternative, measure at the smallest point while you're sucking it in. The one benefit of this method (for home use/comparison) is that folks usually suck it in the same amount and they're measuring the smallest point so it gives them a steady method for comparison. It can be a bit harder to do it the way trainers do because measurements can be off if the tape isn't perfectly level, or if you're standing taller or sucking it in or letting it out.

I measure my way for my clients, but have them measure the other way for at home. Our changes usually come about about the same over time.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Here is the guide I use to do measurements. The reason I use the bend of the waist is because I'm measuring on a lot of people. This makes sure I'm measuring the same spot because unless there is some sort of accident that causes spinal issues, they will always bend at the same spot. And if they have an accident like that, they probably aren't worried about their waist size anymore. If I have a really overweight client who loses a lot of weight in the stomach, I can't use the navel at all because when the skin drops, so does their belly button. I even had a client years ago who had a tummy tuck and didn't have a navel anymore because it was in the excess that was cut out and the doctor didn't make a fake one like they would now. Talk about confusing for a new trainer who was taught to use the navel! :laugh: In this list you will see that I also take a lower abdominal measurement, which is generally below the navel where most women store the excess fat from the childbearing years. Personally, I'm always happier to see that number go down then the waist, but that is a vanity thing. Any measurement where you are measuring the thickest point, you want to turn sideways and look in a mirror to see the thickest part, or have someone else measure you and they measure from the side to determine that thickest point.

Measurements
    Wrist--Measure around at the point between the bony protrusion of the arm and the hand
    Forearm--Measure the length between the crook of the elbow and the wrist. Divide that in half and then measure around at the midpoint.
    Bicep--Measure the length between the underarm and the crook of the elbow. Divide that in half and then measure around at the midpoint. If you are looking for muscle growth, do this measurement with the bicep flexed, as well as, relaxed.
    Neck--Measure the length between the base of the jaw and the collarbone. Divide that in half and then measure around at the midpoint.
    Shoulders--With the arms down by the side, measure around the body approximately 1 inch below the top of the shoulders.
    Chest--Measure around the body with the tape measure at the base of the armpits.
    Bust--Measure around the body at the fullest part of the breast, usually at the nipple line.
    Waist--Bend sideways and feel for where the spine bends. Measure around the body at that spot.
    Lower Abdominal--Measure around the body at the fullest part of the "baby bulge".
    Hip--With the feet together, measure around the body at the fullest part of the butt.
    Thigh--Measure the length between the connection point of the leg and the top of the kneecap. Divide that in half and measure around the thigh at the midpoint.
    Calf--Measure the length between the bottom of the kneecap and the top of the foot. Divide that in half and measure around the calf at the midpoint. Another option on this one is to measure at the fullest part of the calf, but there is no guarantee that you are measuring the same spot each time with that option.
  • emadigan
    emadigan Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I take one measurement at my belly button that I call my waist measurement and then I take another measurement like an inch or maybe two below that that I call the Pooch measurement. The idea is to get the pooch measurement and the waist measurement as close to the same as possible, lol

I do the same thing!
  • RobinSchneid
    Options
    This is an interesting post for me because I am really high waisted. My body curves in a few inches above my belly button, but that is not where pants and skirts fit. If I have a long enough skirt I have been able to hike it up when it gets too tight at where most people have a waist and then it will fit. So I think I just have too much belly fat in the general waist area. Never had much of a defined waist anyway.
  • Amandac6772
    Amandac6772 Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options

I do exactly the same thing!
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I take it were my belly button is because otherwise I would never be able to remember where to measure. I do not do any other body section (is that the right word~lol) for the very reason that I cannot remember from time to time where I measured last.
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    I don't often measure, but when I do I do the thinnest part as its easier when doing it yourself. I remember a fitness instructor telling me before to do thinnest part and at belly button xx
  • embym
    embym Posts: 65
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I guess it might just be best to do the thinnest part, the "pooch" and the bellybutton, just to be thorough. My torso is a little weird so that might be best anyway. :D
  • murasakiookami
    Options
    Bump for reading later. I alsways have toruble measuring myself so this will be a lot of help
  • Paige1108
    Paige1108 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I take it were my belly button is because otherwise I would never be able to remember where to measure. I do not do any other body section (is that the right word~lol) for the very reason that I cannot remember from time to time where I measured last.

I always do my waist at 1 inch above my belly button and my hips at 7 inches below my belly button. That way I know I'm always doing them the same. Also when I worked in a theater costume shop that's where they had us do the measurements for all the actors. Easy to remember and always the same. Hope that helps.