Will I gain weight?

Options
I think I'm ready to really try to start maintaining, not just putting it off because part of me still wants to lose. I'm 5'4 110 lbs.
I used to be around 140. I wouldn't say I was fat, but I'm young and a little bigger than I should have been. I knew that if I kept up my eating habits, and I would keep gaining and I would be overweight.
I lost a lot of that 25lbs by eating 800-900 calories a day for 3 and a half weeks (I went down to 116lbs; I lost weight VERY rapidly). I stopped after that because I was making myself miserable and I knew if I continued I could develop a full-blown ED. I'm now eating around 1200.
However, I'm still usually under that. I almost never let myself go under 1000, but I'm consistently between 1050 and 1150.
To maintain, MFP sets me at around 1500. I'm just worried if maybe, somehow I lowered my metabolism and that amount might make me gain (it's been about 3 months between when I first started losing weight and now). Is that possible?

Replies

• einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    You have been eating at a low number for awhile. Please tell me you at least eat back exercise calories.

Aside from getting some professional help, you might want to up your calories slowly (50-100/week) and not panic if you gain a few pounds. That will inevitably come off. Honestly, your maintenance is probably going to be higher than only 1500/day anyway.
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Sadly...no. I never eat back exercise calories. I was about to add my net is probably below 1100. I never added it in to MFP because they didn't have what I did. I would serve a volleyball 10-15 feet, jog to get it, jog 15-20 feet back. Repeat 120 times. It usually took an hour and fifteen minutes to complete. I stopped that recently and I'm trying to see if I'll gain on an ACTUAL 1200 cal diet. Now I'm doing 30min weightlifting workouts, but I'm actually including cals burned into the net. Would 3 months of a low cal diet have slowed my metabolism?
  • einzweidrei
    einzweidrei Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Sadly...no. I never eat back exercise calories. I was about to add my net is probably below 1100. I never added it in to MFP because they didn't have what I did. I would serve a volleyball 10-15 feet, jog to get it, jog 15-20 feet back. Repeat 120 times. It usually took an hour and fifteen minutes to complete. I stopped that recently and I'm trying to see if I'll gain on an ACTUAL 1200 cal diet. Now I'm doing 30min weightlifting workouts, but I'm actually including cals burned into the net. Would 3 months of a low cal diet have slowed my metabolism?

If they didn't have what you did, then you should have put your calories at moderately active. This would have given you more calories.

You will not know without trying. I really do hope you see someone professionally. I already gave my advice on the best possible way for you to increase your calories.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I think I'm ready to really try to start maintaining, not just putting it off because part of me still wants to lose. I'm 5'4 110 lbs.
    I used to be around 140. I wouldn't say I was fat, but I'm young and a little bigger than I should have been. I knew that if I kept up my eating habits, and I would keep gaining and I would be overweight.
    I lost a lot of that 25lbs by eating 800-900 calories a day for 3 and a half weeks (I went down to 116lbs; I lost weight VERY rapidly). I stopped after that because I was making myself miserable and I knew if I continued I could develop a full-blown ED. I'm now eating around 1200.
    However, I'm still usually under that. I almost never let myself go under 1000, but I'm consistently between 1050 and 1150.
    To maintain, MFP sets me at around 1500. I'm just worried if maybe, somehow I lowered my metabolism and that amount might make me gain (it's been about 3 months between when I first started losing weight and now). Is that possible?

probably not in 3 months...

you might gain weight from increasing your carbs.

however i doubt very much that your TDEE is 1500 if you're young.
  • janupshaw
    janupshaw Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Expect a 5 pound gain when switching to maintenance. This isn't actual fat, but your glycogen stores being replaced.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    You can't live on that few calories if you are logging accurately and moving at all.

Up your calories. You're young. You can do it. You're not going down a healthy path, and the goal is HEALTH and HAPPINESS.
  • bluecat145
    bluecat145 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I'm trying to prepare myself for any weight gain. I set a range; my weight should not go above 130 or below 105.
    I'm going on a real 1200cal diet+exercise cals to see if I gain weight. If my metabolism has slowed, will it go back to normal after I start eating a proper amount.
  • caracrawford1
    caracrawford1 Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    Sounds to me like the beginning of an ED. If you are afraid to eat at reasonable levels, afraid and/or consumed by thoughts of gaining weight, among other things, please seek help.
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options
    No. You might see a temporary increase in weight from this change, but it'll be water. Give your body a few weeks to adjust.

Also, your TDEE is certainly not 1500. By my calculations, it would be more like 1600 if you don't exercise at all. If MFP is telling you to eat 1500 to maintain your weight, then you need to eat all of your exercise calories back.

I really hope you actually increase your intake, because at 5'4" 110 lbs, you shouldn't be losing any more weight. And eating as little as you've been eating is no bueno, even if you had weight to lose.
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    Options
    When I was younger and stupid I did the same thing as you. Lowered calories drastically for a few months to reach my "goal weight" of 105 pounds (I am also 5'4"). This was after I had my last baby and I just wanted to drop 25 pounds fast.

I maintained this weight for a couple of years actually, and while I did eventually add calories, looking back now I was not healthy.

I eventually smartened up, and had the revelation that the scale DID NOT MATTER, what did matter was that I was healthy and strong and felt good about myself (and of course, looked hot). I fell in love with weight lifting and fitness, and started eating way more.

So fast forward 10 years to now, I am about 8 pounds heavier, but have lost basically all of my cellulite, have firmer and more developed muscles, still wear small clothes, can eat A LOT, and just enjoy life way more. I barely ever check the scale, and I don't care! It is freeing to be released from that ball and chain.

So my recommendation to you is stop now! Stop obsessing over the scale, start eating, work out, stay active, enjoy life! You might gain a few pounds but who cares! My TDEE is like 1900 and I eat over that a lot. I know you as a young girl who is active will have a higher maintenance.