What's a good app to use when using the treadmill?

Options
I need to get in some running(for a karate class) and I need proof…so I use MapMyRun and I like it. Today I was using it at the gym. BUT…for the third time it didn't log my distance. I even turned on the free wifi at the gym. My friend said the GPS doesn't think I'm moving because I'm basically standing in place. Makes sense. Usually I'm outside running or running around the HS indoor track, and it's worked fine in there. So, what apps does anyone use while they're on a treadmill that logs their runs? I have a FitBit, but that doesn't show when I'm running. Just shows steps only. That won't work to track my running. Any suggestions? Thanks for the help!

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Use your phone to take a picture or video the treadmill screen when you are done running. GPS devices don't work on treadmills...and I don't know any apps for treadmills.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Your Fitbit can be used to track your run. Hold the button down to start a recording (like a sleep session) at the beginning and end of your run, then you can easily view the stats of that session on the app or site. It knows if you're running vs. walking and will estimate the distance and tell you your time and estimate of calories burned.

There is a way to 'break out' a session afterward, too, if you didn't use the recording method. Go to Log, Activities and use the little stopwatch icon toward the bottom of the page.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    Netflix.
  • SheGlows
    SheGlows Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ I think this is what you meant to say..

FghYC8H.gif
  • RunninGran
    Options
    I run on the treadmill also. I use the Zombie 5k app and it gives the options of whether you are holding your phone or in an arm band or you pocket. I only used that part of the app once though so I don't know how accurate it is. I didn't like any of those options so I bought some Bluetooth earbuds (the wire drove me crazy hanging down when I was running) so now I just sit my phone on the treadmill. I now have a sports watch also with a footpod and today was the first time I ran with the footpod and heart rate monitor. The treadmill gave me 324 calories burned and the footpod/watch only 219. The footpod/watch was also off slightly on the distance as well.
  • Takes2long
    Takes2long Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I have the FitBit flex. I"ll look into that suggestion. I"ll also check out the Zombie run app. :laugh: LOL…I HAVE taken pictures with my phone as proof. Thankfully, the second time the instructor walked by and saw the numbers herself.
  • riirii93_
    riirii93_ Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ I think this is what you meant to say..

FghYC8H.gif

lmfao this is the best gif i've seen all week
  • oneloopygirl
    oneloopygirl Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I have Nike + on my ipod and a little pouch for my running shoes to hold the little chip for it since I don't like nike shoes. Actually works well on an treadmill and outside. I've run the GPS and it on an outside run and they are in sync. You can calibrate the nike+, which I did off an outside run and it's been fine since.