STUPID HRM!

Options
Lisa1971
Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
It says I only burned 38 calories after working out HARD on my elliptical for 12 mins! WTF? How do you know when the batteries need to be changed and how do I do this???? I have a polar F6.

THanks!

Replies

• bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    Read the instruction manual. If you don't have it, try Polar's website. Most Polar HRMs need to be sent back tot he manufacturer to have the batteries replaced.
  • ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    I took mine to a watch place in the mall and they changed it. If has been a while you may want to check the battery. Now if it is newer and still acting up call them
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    It's possible your chest strap was slipping around during your workout and wasn't able to pick up your heart rate during the entire session? Mine does that sometimes, and I have to adjust it to compensate so that it won't slip down and miss my heart rate :)
  • blakeym
    blakeym Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I had to send mine in to Polar to have the batteries changed after about a year. If it's new take it back to the store.

Oh....make sure you go into settings and check your weight and height and age are all set correctly. Make sure the heart rate is showing before you hit the start button, and check it every so often to make sure it working.

On average (depending on your height / weight etc) you should be burning about 100 calories every 10 mins. Keep in mind that you burn less initially; as you get your heart rate into the "zone" you will see faster caloric burn.

I also turn mine to calories burned and work out until I hit the number I want to burn off.
  • NikkiDerrig386
    NikkiDerrig386 Posts: 1,096 Member
    Options
    Tell me about it. Mine has been messed up. It hasnt been catching my heart rate. Like it was 00 for 5 mins until it finally caught it :/
  • lexistepps
    lexistepps Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Also, make sure you are moistening the little electrodes before you start your workout, makes a big difference :)
  • aviduser
    aviduser Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    You can usually tell if the battery needs replacing. With mine (also Polar), it usually has trouble registering the heart rate on the watch (in which case the chest strap battery needs replacing) or the watch goes dead (in which case the watch battery needs replacing).

I am not surprise that your HRM only shows 38 calories after 12 minutes. It takes 15 minutes to get past the anaerobic stage and into the cardio stage. Plus, 12 minutes is not very long overall. You do not say that your total workout was 12 minutes, but I would be curious to know what your calorie total was after 30 min., or 45 min.

The other factor is that your idea of "hard" might not be objectively hard. Calculate your max heart rate (rough estimate 220- your age) and multiply that by .8. For example, if you are 40, your max heart rate is around 180 bpm. You are working "hard" when your heart rate is between 140 and 160. Over 160 and you are back into the anaerobic stage again--this is a short burst zone (think about the sprint at the end of a race).

Depending on your physical condition, you might feel like you are working hard (perceived exertion), while objectively you're only at 120 bpm. This will change as your conditioning improves.

I hope this helps. My trainer has suggested that I do 2 days a week of 1 hour of light cardio (recumbant bike). I have been doing this, with my heart rate at around 115 bpm. One hour of this, which is easy enough to read a book while doing, burns 500 calories.

Anyway, more than you asked for, but I hope it helps.