Weighing food

Options
1seb1
1seb1 Posts: 30 Member
Lets say i dont eat " All" my apple, i just eat what i want, total weight of my apple is example 100 g and i throw away 20 g ( the middle seeds and heart) ,, question is should i write down i ate an80 g apple or a 100 g apple? Tx guys :-)

Replies

• MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    For me, I always err on the side of more calories in my diary than what I eat.
  • abadvat
    abadvat Posts: 1,241 Member
    Options
    A cow weights on average 750 kg - I eat a steak weighting 350 grs.....
  • meridianova
    meridianova Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    when i cook, i weigh all the ingredients and figure that even if i don't eat everything on my plate, i'll still log it as if i ate everything. better to err on the side of caution than underestimate.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    If you weigh the amount you ate, just write down that amount. I don't include the weight of peach pits or banana peels, for example.

It's not going to be that many calories anyway, but if you can be accurate, why not be accurate?
  • MityMax96
    Options
    when i cook, i weigh all the ingredients and figure that even if i don't eat everything on my plate, i'll still log it as if i ate everything. better to err on the side of caution than underestimate.

+1

Case in point.
    I am gonna start logging my quest bars reflecting full calorie count when totaling up the macros.

So the Apple pie quest bar says 180 calories....
    But when you total all the macros in said bar, it is is 225
    So I added in 45 Quick Add calories today.
  • psjoholm
    psjoholm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    What are macros?
  • psjoholm
    psjoholm Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I weigh the apple and count the entire weight into calorie count, even though I don't eat the core...like most said, better to be on the safe side.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Never mind.

On another issue, the macros not matching the calories is a separate issue and I'd love to understand how the figures could be that off, to know how to account for it. I've seen that raised before and no particularly convincing answer given.
  • MityMax96
    Options
    Never mind.

On another issue, the macros not matching the calories is a separate issue and I'd love to understand how the figures could be that off, to know how to account for it. I've seen that raised before and no particularly convincing answer given.

Some will dismiss the calories, if the calories are from fiber.

So for instance, w/ the Quest bars....they are like 20 gr of fiber....
    So when they total calories for it...
    They take total calories less fiber calories == net calories.

Each gr of carb/protein == 4 cal
    each gr of fat == 9 cal
  • MityMax96
    Options
    What are macros?

Protein = 1 gr = 4 cal
    Carb = 1gr = 4 cal
    Fat = 1 gr = 9 cal

Alcohol is a different macro altogether and is equal on the order of ~7 cal
  • ComingUntrue
    ComingUntrue Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    You could log it and overestimate

or you could take your best guess at how much you ate. I usually do this. If I know I've got 100g of apple and I eat most of it, about 80%, then I log 80g instead of 100.
  • 1seb1
    1seb1 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Excellent tx evryone, think ill keep on logging what i eat but not the core, i like to see more space to eat, i can afford it, i am still losing weight at the moment, im in the lose fat mode athe moment :-)
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    before I throw away the leftovers I reweigh them and subtract..I know anal; but thats just me.
  • alfonsinarosinsky
    alfonsinarosinsky Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    A cow weights on average 750 kg - I eat a steak weighting 350 grs.....

touché