How Important Is The Number On The Scale?

Options
I've noticed that when people discuss issues that they are having with weighing in, it's often recommended that they throw it away. I understand that emotionally it might help them, but is it really a good idea to stay off the scale? Wouldn't this cause a slower weight loss further down the road (and possibly a stall) which would only cause that person to get frustrated again?

I'm only wondering because I know that our weight plays a factor in calculating TDEE and needs to be recalculated with every 10-15 pound loss.

Replies

• MelsAuntie
    MelsAuntie Posts: 2,833 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less about the number on the scale; I haven't stepped on a scale since sometime last fall. I don't have any idea what my TDEE is, nor do I care.
  • epido
    epido Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    I am seriously thinking about forgetting about the scale for a while. I have been stuck for two months now when it comes to the scale, but still loosing inches. It is completely frustrating the heck out of me, and is hurting me more than helping me at this point. It's time to focus on some of the other ways to measure success!
  • hearthwood
    hearthwood Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    You"re right, it's not a good idea to stay off a scale. That's how 25 pounds did a stealth attack on me, by my refusal to get on a scale. I was soooo bad I would even tell the nurse at the doctors office to not tell me how much I weighed. My doctor finally made me notice--and it's been a long-long road back to take off those 25 pounds.

Weigh yourself at least once a week, preferably in the morning--before coffee.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    The scale is only one way to measure progress, not the end-all. You can also measure by inches in various areas of the body, the way clothes fit, the way you look in the mirror / in photographs, etc. As you get closer to goal the scale matters even less - muscle density and percentage of fat at that point will determine how you look far more than the actual number.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    Even though I haven't tossed my scale out, I clearly understand those who have made that suggestion. People hop on the scale and freak when the number goes up or doesn't go down. The problem with a scale is that the number generated doesn't breakdown body composition (fat, muscles, water, bowels, etc.). A person could be on target with their calories deficiency but if they consumed too much sodium then the number on the scale will go up. You see this a lot when people panic and state that they gained X amount of weight overnight or within a week.

Weighing yourself once a week with the same scale under the same conditions along with taking measurements every couple of weeks is a better process to follow in my opinion. Look for the trend every 4 weeks or so and see if it is going down. Adjust your plan if needed but don't obsess over the stupid scale. Scales, by themselves, suck!
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    To an extent, it has its purpose. It's when it becomes an obsession and one is weighing in every day and being disheartened by fluctuations that are beyond their control, that it becomes an issue. There's so many factors to scale weight that once one gets leaner, it becomes mostly a useless tool. I do think it has its function in terms of progress and ensuring one is losing weight at a sustainable pace.

For instance, I've gained 6 lbs in my bulk. I have seen minor ups in measurements and still fit in the same clothes as well as I did 6 lbs ago. If I had settled with "my goal weight is xxx lbs", the scale would have worried me. I might not have even bulked at all, had I used the scale as my key factor.

Ideally, one should use how they feel to ultimately decide when to stop and there are many posts I see of people wanting to lose more weight even when they're either a healthy weight or bordering on underweight because they just aren't happy with the scale. that's why it's more important to focus on mirror and measurements in the long run. Scale weight only says so much. There are some people on here who are, according to BMI overweight . BMI doesn't account for muscle.
  • jkal1979
    jkal1979 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    The scale is only one way to measure progress, not the end-all. You can also measure by inches in various areas of the body, the way clothes fit, the way you look in the mirror / in photographs, etc. As you get closer to goal the scale matters even less - muscle density and percentage of fat at that point will determine how you look far more than the actual number.

Oh I know it isn't the only way to measure progress, I also take measurements and pictures once a month. I weigh everyday and it doesn't bother me at all. Once I log it I just go on about my day and I don't think of it again until I weigh in the next morning.

I'm not really talking about it in terms of using it as a measurement of progress, but as a way to make sure that your calorie goal is correct in order to keep losing.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I've noticed that when people discuss issues that they are having with weighing in, it's often recommended that they throw it away. I understand that emotionally it might help them, but is it really a good idea to stay off the scale? Wouldn't this cause a slower weight loss further down the road (and possibly a stall) which would only cause that person to get frustrated again?

I'm only wondering because I know that our weight plays a factor in calculating TDEE and needs to be recalculated with every 10-15 pound loss.
    No, seeing the number on the scale doesn't make your body lose or gain more.

I lost my first thirty or forty pounds before I even bought a scale.

You can lose and gain weight without a scale. :)

It might make a difference with TDEE. I don't know (and don't want to know) what that is. If you need the number, you need it! But if you don't care about TDEEs and just want to diet and exercise, no scale necessary! :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options

I totally get your point. If it's all about calories in/calories out, how can you know what those numbers should be if you don't know approx what you weigh?

I guess if you are so traumatized by the number on the scale, you are better off just using trial and error to figure it out, otherwise you will just give up altogether? Maybe that's just the lesser of two evils...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    it's still important, very important to me. Because as hard as I train myself, I am still an average Jane and can't put on enough muscle to make difference in my shape. So scale weight still says something about my overall fatness...However, to keep my own sanity, I havent stepped on for a while...not matter what I do, it won;t budge. I know I am stupid and don't want to feel more stupid looking at that number...

I know I am insane...
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

No, I don't think it's a good idea to completely ditch the scale, but not sure if keeping yourself frustrued into depression is a better idea...I have developed a phobia against scale and am constantly worried...I choose not to step on it but on the back of my head, I know I need to lose weight...it's so upsetting. :(
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Next, I'll throw out my wrench. I mean who needs tools, anyway?!
  • HanamiDango
    HanamiDango Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    To an extent, it has its purpose. It's when it becomes an obsession and one is weighing in every day and being disheartened by fluctuations that are beyond their control, that it becomes an issue. There's so many factors to scale weight that once one gets leaner, it becomes mostly a useless tool. I do think it has its function in terms of progress and ensuring one is losing weight at a sustainable pace.

For instance, I've gained 6 lbs in my bulk. I have seen minor ups in measurements and still fit in the same clothes as well as I did 6 lbs ago. If I had settled with "my goal weight is xxx lbs", the scale would have worried me. I might not have even bulked at all, had I used the scale as my key factor.

Ideally, one should use how they feel to ultimately decide when to stop and there are many posts I see of people wanting to lose more weight even when they're either a healthy weight or bordering on underweight because they just aren't happy with the scale. that's why it's more important to focus on mirror and measurements in the long run. Scale weight only says so much. There are some people on here who are, according to BMI overweight . BMI doesn't account for muscle.

Sums up how I feel about it too.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    To me, not that important. I have a neighborhood I want to weigh for my body type and that's really about 170-180. Thick enough but svelte. But I still look nice at 200, surprisingly. I'm 5'9" and strong framed.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    I love my scale. I love the numbers and the data...things I can chart and graph. The math of weight loss. For me that's how it works, including my motivation, my goals, all of it. Numbers. Calories in and out. Calories burned. And so on.

All of this is how I've lost the last (and EASIEST) 89 lb of the 133 I have lost and I am grateful for all of the numbers that have empowered, frustrated, and thrilled me.

People see things differently though. I say use/do what works for you :-)
  • kimothy38
    kimothy38 Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    You"re right, it's not a good idea to stay off a scale. That's how 25 pounds did a stealth attack on me, by my refusal to get on a scale.

Surely your clothes must've felt different though? Scales just show a number - they don't tell you how you feel about yourself or whether it's fluid or fat contributing to your weight. If you want to judge yourself and give yourself more ammunition to feel bad then go right ahead and weight yourself.
  • JoeValencic
    Options
    I'm required to weigh in and log my weight every day (along with ALL food logging) until next Monday when I visit the nutritionist at the VA for the second visit. The initial goal she set for me was 30#, and I've exceeded that with one full week to go. First visit at 4 weeks saw 24 lbs lost, and I've lost an additional 15 lbs in the past 5 weeks. The logging of food and weight each day helped motivate me, while building a mental database of what to eat and what to avoid. Not sure what her instructions will be on Monday, but so far her direction has been excellent.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,741 Member
    Options
    You"re right, it's not a good idea to stay off a scale. That's how 25 pounds did a stealth attack on me, by my refusal to get on a scale.

Surely your clothes must've felt different though? Scales just show a number - they don't tell you how you feel about yourself or whether it's fluid or fat contributing to your weight. If you want to judge yourself and give yourself more ammunition to feel bad then go right ahead and weight yourself.

I didn't own a scale for years but honestly the bigger you get, the less difference you can feel in your clothes. I have no doubt right now if I gained 10 lb, my size 10 skinny jeans would let me know. But when you're 267 lb and wearing slightly baggy size 22 dressy chinos...you can easily get to 307 lb in those same pants without discomfort...and that is a HUGE difference. I am speaking from experience, sadly.

I refused to own a scale until the DAY I joined MFP on 3-25-13, simply because back in high school I drove myself nuts weighing on my stepmom's bathroom scale. I remember being really careful with what I ate and going from 230 to 239 in a week and thinking any excuse to diet was futile. That was one of my main excuses for many years, honestly. I probably weighed 239 after Pizza Hut for dinner or something, but I had ZERO understanding of how calories worked, effects of sodium, weighing in the morning vs nighttime, etc..

Every time I went to the doctor (every year or two) I was totally surprised by a loss or gain of ~20 lb each time...never even knew what to expect, really!