Heidi Powell Blog Post of BMR...kind of totally false?

Options
julies90
julies90 Posts: 646 Member
http://heidipowell.net/5366/all-about-calories/

Thoughts? Sounds to me like she is getting TDEE and BMR very confused. It's frustrating because all sorts of people are commenting that they need to start eating like, 1,000 calories in order to lose weight. .

Replies

• michael1976_ca
    michael1976_ca Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    150 pounds x 12 = 1,800 calories (BMR)

really I'm male and mfp has me just over this and I'm heaver then 150 pounds
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I really like Heidi but I do think that she must have TDEE and BMR confused. I'm just under 150 and my BMR is 1437 and my TDEE is 2215 because I workout a lot. Her calculation is like right in the middle of my BMR and TDEE though so, it actually is a good number for me to be eating at.

ETA: I don't do the carb cycling thing though.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I think she's confused too. And based on what she said at the last bit about how burning X amount isn't an excuse to eat more, that would put some people in ridiculously low NET calorie levels.

Not to mention the fact that her calculation makes no sense for either of my numbers - my BMR (according to my calculations) is in the 1600s and my TDEE is around 2200 (so I aim for between 1700 and 1800) but per her calculation, my BMR is over 2500 calories. If that was even my TDEE I'd be losing weight almost twice as fast as I am now doing exactly what I'm doing now. Hmm.

Also, if her weird calculation was correct, people who are at goal are looking at eating way low forever with zero regard to activity level. If a person weighs 115lbs, according to Heidi they'd have to eat 1380 calories forever and not eat back exercise. Hmm... sounds wrong to me.