Chia Seeds

Options
I would like to make chia seeds a staple in my daily food intake. I found a few receipes from Pinterest but wasn't really impressed. So I'm wondering what do you make with chia seeds that you include in your daily diet.

Replies

• nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    My favorite is to put it in soup, tuna, protein shakes, or plain nonfat greek yogurt with unsweetened almond milk berries and chia & flax seeds! Problem with chia seeds is I usually try and put them in something where they will puff up before I eat them.
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    I have heard...but not tried yet...to put them in some water before you want to use them and they will jell up and be a nice consistency to put in almost anything. Gonna try it at breakfast.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    I have heard...but not tried yet...to put them in some water before you want to use them and they will jell up and be a nice consistency to put in almost anything. Gonna try it at breakfast.

this is the preferable way to use them. I tried just throwing them into the blender when I make my smoothies and its a little gritty. I even take a baggie full of them premeasured out to McDonalds when I treat myself to a fruit and yogurt parfait. When I am having the granola topping, I don't mind the crunchiness of the chia. Any other time I just let them soak in water for like ten minutes before using or keep some "gel" already in my fridge to use. I have a friend that sprinkles them on her pizza too. IT absorbs moisture in anything, especially your intestines so drink extra water when using.
  • rh091
    rh091 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I found a great superfood dry cereal with chia seeds, hemp seeds and buckwheat. I sprinkle it over some yogurt with fruit and it's great! Here's a link to the product http://us.naturespath.com/qia
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal, yogurt, smoothies... Sprinkle a little on rice, a little on your desserts, a little in stews, a little here and there. It adds up and so will the benefits. :)
  • myfitnesspale3
    myfitnesspale3 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I grind them because I read somewhere that makes them "more available". And not so big after hydrating.

Yeah sorry, no more detail.
  • katrinadulce
    katrinadulce Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I take equal parts chia and flax seeds and grind them into a corse flour. A coffee grinder is perfect for this.
    I put them into eggs, smoothies, and both hot and refrigerator oatmeal. It absorbes much faster and there is almost no grittiness.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    I use chia seeds in my overnight oats, not too much, though...the little devils have a lot of calories....

1/3 cup non fat plain Greek yogurt
    1/3 cup Bob's Red Mill 5 whole rolled grain plus flax seed, or country muesli
    2 tsp chia seeds
    1/2 cup Silk soy milk light
    1/2 scoop of my favorite protein powder
    1/2 cup fresh blueberries or strawberries
    some sweetener to taste

Stir up. Cover. Keep in the fridge over night. Looks a bit runny at first, but the grains and the chia seeds will suck up all the milk until morning.
    Enjoy
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I add to greek yogurt, cottage cheese and soups
  • lmr0528
    lmr0528 Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I put a TBSP of chia seeds in my smoothie every morning for breakfast.
  • nlg1974
    nlg1974 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    15g in my breakfast cereal each morning - along with flaxseed/linseed etc that I've been using for some time. I already liked seeds in my cereal so it's not made a difference to taste but definitely keeps me full until lunchtime.
  • EmilyStopFlying
    EmilyStopFlying Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    i cook them into my porridge, i can barely notice they're there taste wise but i've been fuller longer after breakfast since using them
  • YogaEveryDay1984
    Options
    They barely have any flavor and can be added to almost anything. I put them in my oatmeal or cereal every morning for breakfast.

Be careful of which brand you buy. I get mine from Olmec Foods (www.olmecfoods.com). This brand comes from their ancestral lands in Mexico and is always very clean and pure. I have bought others that have had rocks, sticks, stems & debris in them....
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I put a couple of tablespoons in 8 oz water, let them gel up and drink it a half hour before my long runs.... helps greatly with hydration and slow-burn energy