1200 cal of healthy vs 1200 of bad

Options
SO I've heard cal in is cal out. If you exercise and burn more than you're eating, technically you should lose weight no matter what you eat right? I don't think that's true! Maybe initially you'll lose weight but I think you have to eat good foods and exercise more than you eat for a lasting weight loss without plateauing?

My problem is where did this magic number of 1200 cal come from? It seems like mostly women try to aim for 1200 when they're losing weight. Is it enough though? I admit that's my magic number of daily intake too. But I'm noticing I could eat 1000 cal worth of pizza, and want to eat more later. But if I meal prep 1200 cal worth of good healthy nutritious foods, I can barely eat all of it. Then the problem I run into is that I work out in the am, work all day, take the dogs for a walk to the park at night, and I'm more than 500 cal deficit that's already set up to lose a lb a week it ends up saying I can still eat like 500-900 cal at the end of the day. Not sure If I need to just bump up my calories or what. I don't like night eating, and I'm more prone to pizza beer ice cream at night. So I've been eliminating night eating after 7 pm (another one of those mystical things don't eat after 7, don't have more than 1200 cal to lose wight).

Anyways, any real life examples of toning muscle and losing just a couple lbs and fat %s would be awesome. I'm kind of sick of the 1200 cal 500 cal deficit rules. I want proof from new friends that it's how it should work. 1200 cal of good foods is almost torture to me to finish eating all of it.

Replies

• imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    Sorry that I can't give you the proof you need, it literally doesn't matter what you eat for your calories to lose weight. There are tons of people who are living proof that it doesn't matter. As long as you're at a deficit in the correct amounts, you will lose weight.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    1200 calories is just the lowest to be considered healthy and non-detrimental, although it can be depending on your starting weight.

Doesn't really matter what or when you eat your food, it's all about calorie deficit.
  • nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I really don't like to be rigid. I really want to in moderation go to my fav brewery and have a beer and cheeseburger, or my other brewery pizza and beer. I still work out double time to make up for those calories so I come out even for the day (deficit if i'm lucky). I just hear ppl harp on the what you put in your body will show-- but will it really? A diet full of whatever half health food half meh food some bad food if I'm burning more, it doesn't matter right?

My starting weight was 124 22-24% started end of December, I'm at 117 and 20%. But I was really rigid and getting annoyed with it but it worked. I still want to love the things I enjoy eating.

I guess people are just saying for example abs are made in the kitchen. Well if I'm doing everything I can do and have my cheat meals, those abs aren't just going to go away, and I'll still lose weight? I've gotten in a few arguments that I'm not seeing my results because my diet isn't clean enough. Just looking for confirmation, or proof that that's totally wrong.
  • Aikigoth
    Aikigoth Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Its not my degree area but I've noticed that all the cico studies are always short term. They don't address vitamin decencies or long term damage.

Who do you think would live longer? A man who eats organic (which is more nutrient dense) vegetables, fruits, lipids and proteins or the man who eats from McDs all the time? Eventually, something is going to give.

Short term (the twinkie study, the McD study) have suggested that the body deals more mathematically. However, the test subjects are white males who usually are assumed to be metabolically healthy. Short there is debate over how sugar sensitivity works on weight loss. Corn syrup fed to rats puts on more pounds than the same number of calories of sugar- so it seems there is some wiggle room.

Long story short, I'll pass over what my trainer and I decided today. What is the worse that will happen if it is cico and you actually eat really clean 90% of the time with moderate cheats? Do you lose anything? I don't think so.
  • Meerataila
    Meerataila Posts: 1,885 Member
    Options
    Long story short, I'll pass over what my trainer and I decided today. What is the worse that will happen if it is cico and you actually eat really clean 90% of the time with moderate cheats? Do you lose anything? I don't think so.

Tell my wallet that!

I still agree with your reasoning, though. It's just godawful expensive to eat healthier, especially organic. And after reading studies on a possible link between pesticides and herbicides and diabetes, I'm even more determined to find and buy organic whenever I can.
  • nicoletteamber
    nicoletteamber Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! I really am eating clean and I'm trying to get my body weight in gms of protein, limit the fat, to half of my body weight, and leave the rest up to carbs. healthy ones that is. I just want to know it's ok to have a cheat meal. Tired of people telling me if you want results you can't ever have a cheat meal or cheat day. That's too rigid, I enjoy nights out to have and to eat whatever. I'll even get a burger but have a side salad instead. Or split the burger. I just want that food I enjoy without being judged.
  • mikegerber1
    mikegerber1 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I've been told that eating after 7 is a myth. a calorie is a calorie no matter when you eat it. If you have a preference, or know you are prone to bad habits after 7, that's a good reason to "close the kitchen". the other is if you have some sort of acid reflux thing or something that would interfere with digestion while you sleep.
  • stephe1987
    stephe1987 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where the 1200 comes from. 1200 calories is 1200 calories.

The number 1200 is the lowest recommended intake because it's difficult to maintain proper nutrition if you go below that. Some sites say a VLCD is below 800, but this site gets mad if you eat less than 1200. It's also super easy to gain weight back if you go too low.

Feeling full is another story. Different foods are more filling than others and it's important to keep that in mind when planning meals.

Proper nutrition is important for health, especially long term. A lot of people notice (especially as they get older) that they feel like garbage or feel tired if they eat certain foods. You can lose weight by going on special diets but that's not recommended because you're more likely to gain the weight back as soon as you stop eating that way.
  • j6o4
    j6o4 Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • ldy_78
    ldy_78 Posts: 61
    Options
    My rule of thumb has always been

calorie quantity = weight loss or weight gain
    calorie quality = overall health

Hasn't done me wrong yet. And I've found that eating 400 calories of pasta sits differently than a 400 calorie salad with lean protein. The fast acting carbs make me bloated and thus I weigh more and look heavier (though it might not be actual fat), while the slow burning fuel (proteins and slow acting carbs) keep me light on my feet. I do feel this when I train - no joke.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    Its not my degree area but I've noticed that all the cico studies are always short term. They don't address vitamin decencies or long term damage.

Who do you think would live longer? A man who eats organic (which is more nutrient dense) vegetables, fruits, lipids and proteins or the man who eats from McDs all the time? Eventually, something is going to give.

CICO is all that matters for weight loss.

I don't think anyone is saying it is all that matters for longetivity or even short term health.

Of course you will have vitamin deficiencies if all you eat is Twinkies and fries - but nobody is arguing for that.

OP I don't know where the magic number of 1200 comes from either.
    I do think it is the right number for some people - usually older shorter less active women.
    I don't know how tall you are but I can see you are 26 years old.
    Yes, you probably should be eating more than 1200.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    You can lose weight eating junk food.

You will be healthier and able to eat more if you eat healthy food.

Everyone has to decide for themselves how much junk food they will eat, if any.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I eat 1800-2000 cals most days, and I eat after 7pm - and I've reached goal weight, lost fat and inches, and increased my strength. I still eat pizza, burgers, drink beer, enjoy ice cream, chips, etc. Most of my daily cals are "healthy", but there's room for the treats and other foods I love as well, because it truly is calories in, calories out. As long as I stay below my TDEE, I don't gain. I've kept the weight off for over two years now.

:drinker:
  • joanna_82
    joanna_82 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    If you want to have a few beers and enjoy a cheeseburger once in a while- then do it. fit it into your calories. Or don't and just enjoy it and get back on it the next day.

I believe in eating well because as you say, you get to eat more food than if you eat junk, but I still like to have my treats and the things I enjoy. I just don't have them too often and when I do I work them into my allowance.

in terms of the deficit at the end of the day- I tend to pre log my excersise at the start of the day and then just eat a little more during the day. i.e a glass of milk, some soup with lunch, an extra banana etc all adds up and means I fuel my exercise for later but I don't end up with a huge deficit at the end of the day. I always leave half my excersise calories though given MFP inaccuracy.

hope that helps