How do you deal with Food Allergies?

Options
2»

Replies

• EJand94
    EJand94 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    UGH! i feel lucky just having a soy allergy and some nuts after reading this! I went to a restaurant that we go to all the time. I got a plain burger patty with no seasoning or condiments, and I had a slight reaction. Soy can even be added to ground meat as a filler. gross. I usually get fish, but I wanted something different. So much for that! I think I'll just stick to fish.
  • Nan_
    Nan_ Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    When I was in my 20's I was sick a lot and found out that I was allergic to about 14 foods. Many of them were staples and most of them were my favorites. I don't remember all of them but I do remember I was allergic to lettuce (seriously, lettuce?), tomatoes, mushrooms, fish, and apples. I don't remember the rest of the food.

I began getting allergy shots and eventually I got to where I was able to eat nearly all of the 14 foods again. I still can't eat mushrooms or fish though.

Now I am gluten free, dairy free and soy free, so my foods are once again limited. Soy and gluten are in everything, I swear, lol!
  • GillianMcK
    GillianMcK Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm having a problem with my place of employment. I had an accidental exposure (because a new crewmember didn't know and threw some away in the trash)...not too bad, but enough of one to need medications. I want them to just send out an e-mail and restrict bringing it into the building, but they are fighting me on it. I'm about to call the ADA and speak to them, because I like breathing and don't want to die.
    I think I would object quite strongly to not being able to eat something healthy that I wanted to eat, just because 1 person in the area was allergic. If I was aware of the person being allergic I certainly wouldn't mind making sure that it was no where near them and was disposed of in specific bins to avoid contact with them, but to just ban it entirely I would have real issues with.
    How do you leave the house, someone might have dropped some on the pavement or put it in a public bin, are you looking to get it banned for the whole town and any other town you might visit, what if someone in a shop touches one and then touches the same door handle as you??
    I'm allergic to peanuts & walnuts, however the people I work with are aware of it and any they bring with them are in sealed containers and kept away from my desk, I'm careful about washing my hands/using hand sanitiser so if I happen to touch an area where they have also touched I'm much less likely to need an epi pen, I can't cut out the risk 100% unless I stay at home and don't leave the house and that's not living!!
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    Currently, I'm having a problem with my place of employment. I had an accidental exposure (because a new crewmember didn't know and threw some away in the trash)...not too bad, but enough of one to need medications. I want them to just send out an e-mail and restrict bringing it into the building, but they are fighting me on it. I'm about to call the ADA and speak to them, because I like breathing and don't want to die.
    I think I would object quite strongly to not being able to eat something healthy that I wanted to eat, just because 1 person in the area was allergic. If I was aware of the person being allergic I certainly wouldn't mind making sure that it was no where near them and was disposed of in specific bins to avoid contact with them, but to just ban it entirely I would have real issues with.
    How do you leave the house, someone might have dropped some on the pavement or put it in a public bin, are you looking to get it banned for the whole town and any other town you might visit, what if someone in a shop touches one and then touches the same door handle as you??
    I'm allergic to peanuts & walnuts, however the people I work with are aware of it and any they bring with them are in sealed containers and kept away from my desk, I'm careful about washing my hands/using hand sanitiser so if I happen to touch an area where they have also touched I'm much less likely to need an epi pen, I can't cut out the risk 100% unless I stay at home and don't leave the house and that's not living!!

The employer is asking for a lawsuit should this individual have a medical emergency on the property from their allergy, and the employer refused to cooperate with their requests. It's not like they're trying to ban something because they don't like it. It doesn't matter if people "keep it away from them". Some people have allergies so severe that they need epi-pens on them and cannot be in the vicinity of the item that causes them to react. For example, very severe peanut allergies.
  • nam985
    nam985 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Food allergies suck. There's no two ways around it, they can be a major pain in the *kitten*. I'm allergic to bovine casein, kiwi fruit and chestnuts (not any other nuts, just those). I've dealt with these pretty much all of my life, and I learned to live with it. I read labels, speak up with concerns, ask questions, and to know my limits. My casein allergy isn't that severe (just some hives and itchiness, not enough to send me into anaphylaxis) over the last 25 years (and under my allergist's supervision and guidance of course) I have gradually been able to build up a tolerance to small amounts of milk products so if I don't overindulge the antihistamines I take every morning are sufficient to keep any reaction at bay. On the other hand, kiwi makes my lips and tongue swell up and chestnuts could very well kill me so both of those foods must be avoided.

There will be an adjustment period but you will soon get used to just dealing with it. I think adjusting to my allergies was harder on my family than it was on me, until I was old enough to know better there was no milk, cheese, yogurt, ice cream, etc. allowed in our house!