Please help... have I got this right?

Options
I know it's been done over and over on these boards but I need someone to tell me I have this right in my head.

It's just the way I learn...

My cals burned on a normal day (think it's called BMR) is 2530
My net cals to eat a day is 1530 for a 1000 cal deficit to lose 1kg a week.

So, if I exercise and burn 500cals (walking 8kms per hour) that will drop me to 1030 cals and that is way too low. So I need to 'eat back' those cals to keep at 1530 cals a day?

I know it seems like a silly question but as I said it is just the way I learn....

Any other input is appreciated

ETA: I am 51kgs overweight and know that 1kg a week is attainable at the moment

Replies

• MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    The amount of calories you eat back from exercise is up to you. It is strongly suggested to be at least 1200 net for healthy female body functions. You can go back up to your 1530 if you wish. Many people over estimate the exercise calories and will over eat and wonder why they are not losing weight. Personally I only enter half the time I exercise so I am not tempted to over eat my exercise calories. If they don't show in my diary I tend not to eat them back.
  • Meg2528
    Options
    Wow thank you for explaining it that way Nycky. This the first time I got this whole exercise thing on this site. I have read many many explanations but never understood it. Thank you.
  • Nycky
    Nycky Posts: 11
    Options
    Meg, I never really got it either. I have a hard time eating enough calories as it is, because to me low calories means weight loss - higher calories means weight gain...
    I know everybody talks about calories in and calories out and BMR/RMR and 'starvation mode' etc etc but I never get it unless I have numbers in front of me and it's explained fully AND in laymans terms.

Mzbug, the 1200 cal mark is a general number - the more you weigh the more calories it takes to 'run your body' so to speak. Because I am heavier than the average woman (ok a hell of a lot heavier!) I use more calories to get around than people of a smaller weight. That 2530/1530 number will go down as I lose weight but for now that's what it is. But thank you for your input.