Weight Resistance Machines vs Free Weights

Options
Hi,

The fitness instructors at my gym set me up on a weight machines programme but a lot of my male friends who lift weights have said free weights do more than the weight machines at the gym.

I am confused as to what the differences are between free weights and machines as I am basically doing the same movements with the same weights and feel like it is working... but why the huge consensus against weight machines?

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? should I be switching to free weights or bars/benches instead of the machines?

Replies

• lowerhogan
    lowerhogan Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use the weights machines also, the machines tend to target the one area that it is designed for. But the free weights involve a lot of technique and form to be quite good but you could be hitting a lot more muscle groups by lifting a bar or dum bell.

I would suggest that you start with the machines to get used to the weight and then if moving over to the free weights have someone with experience show you proper technique etc as you don't want to sprain or injure yourself either.

(I am in no way an expert on this just a regular gym user)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Free weights are more efficient and effective. Do not fear free weights. But on the flip side, machines aren't evil, just less effective in most instances.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Free weights are more efficient and effective. Do not fear free weights. But on the flip side, machines aren't evil, just less effective in most instances.

Agree with this.

They're all tools at the end of the day that can be used more, or less, effectively.

It's against the religion of this site to suggest the use of anything other than a barbell, but if you're moving closer to your goals using machines and you're happy with your progress, then that's just fine.
  • steveyinasia
    steveyinasia Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I use the weights machines also, the machines tend to target the one area that it is designed for. But the free weights involve a lot of technique and form to be quite good but you could be hitting a lot more muscle groups by lifting a bar or dum bell.

I would suggest that you start with the machines to get used to the weight and then if moving over to the free weights have someone with experience show you proper technique etc as you don't want to sprain or injure yourself either.

(I am in no way an expert on this just a regular gym user)

Pretty well right here, free weights require the stabiliser muscle to keep good form. If you are new to strength training, the machines can teach you the right plane of movement. After you are confident, move to free weights however remember one thing, always stick with correct form over increased weight.
  • JamesDanek
    JamesDanek Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    The general reasoning is that machines isolate major muscles and neglect the supporting muscles that assist balance, mobility etc.

Although any exercise is good exercise the idea that starting out with compound routines using freeweights works those minor muscles as well as the major muscle groups. The main advantage to this is that it starts to develops better overall functional strength and minimising risk of injury later on.

I personally started out with compound freeweight training (Stronglifts 5X5) but as I have progressed I have started to incorporate some cable machine work into my routine.

There is no right or wrong really but as has already been said do not fear the free weights