What's the use of counting macros vs calorie deficit?

Options
Hi,

This might sound like a stupid question but I have read over and over on here that ultimately to lose weight you simply need a calorie deficit.

I was therefore wondering what the benefits are of controlling macros? I have been using a 40carb, 30protein, 30 fat ratio recently but would love a bit more information about the value of this?

I'm aware protein is important for muscle repair but if someone's general goal would be to lose a bit of fat and improve their lean body mass is this really necessary? It's just that I'm working long hours at the moment and have started eating more convenience food so seem to be going over carbs...!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• 1992Leigh1992
    1992Leigh1992 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Sorry if this isn't much help. I personally don't have an overall macro goal, in terms of percentages.But I do look at the individual macros in foods becuase they will influence my success in sticking to a calorie deficit.

In general, it is a lot easier for me to stick to a calorie deficit when I am getting lots of protein and complex carbs.

Say I'm chosing a snack at around 160 calories. If I continue to chose 160 calorie snacks that is made up of refined sugar, I will still feel hungry. If I choose something with lots of fibre or protein, it will be more satisgying.

I'm also vegetarian. Before being vegetarian, I usually ate meat once per day, at dinner. I intially didn't worry about counting protein because I knew that a large majority of people get MORE than an adequate amount of protein. However, I noticed myself feeling really hungry in the evening.

I was reaching my minimum recommended protein intake during the day. BUT, my body was used to having a certain amount of protein and a certain amount of carbs at that particular time. Like often if I JUST eat protein for dinner and no vegetables or starch, I'm also not completely full.

So I look at the carbs/protein/fats ect of the foods I use for cooking to make a balanced meal.

I don't know if that answere your question. I am assuming having a set goal is just a way of trying to acheive optimum health and/or for goals relating to muscle gain.
  • BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Hi,

This might sound like a stupid question but I have read over and over on here that ultimately to lose weight you simply need a calorie deficit.

I was therefore wondering what the benefits are of controlling macros? I have been using a 40carb, 30protein, 30 fat ratio recently but would love a bit more information about the value of this?

I'm aware protein is important for muscle repair but if someone's general goal would be to lose a bit of fat and improve their lean body mass is this really necessary? It's just that I'm working long hours at the moment and have started eating more convenience food so seem to be going over carbs...!

Especially yes. Macros are about body composition. Getting enough protein, ensures muscle retention in a deficit, fats are important for hormone control and overall health, carbs are energy, fiber helps keep things running smoothly.

That said. Yes, Calorie deficit rules weight loss but what you lose is important, too. Picking a moderate deficit and getting a good amount of protein ensures you retain LBM and don't lose it along with fat, which will leave you leaner at goal weight. (Also resistance training would be helpful as well)

It does get easier to find foods that fit. It took me awhile to find things that I like that help me meet my goals. Going over on carbs isn't necessarily bad, assuming you're getting enough protein, fats and fiber. I prioritize protein, fat, and fiber, then let carbs fall where they may. I do well high carb, typically but it will come down to personal preference
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    eat donuts
  • Yurippe
    Yurippe Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    Would like to read other answers later.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Yep, with that goal it is definitely necessary.
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    Thank you all! Very helpful :)