Your diet on a trip!

Options
Hi all!

I was going to make this a blog entry but then I thought, hey, I'll share it with everyone who may be interested. Yesterday I had to do a turnaround flight to Los Angeles and back for business. As we all know, anything out of our routines can put our diet and exercise plans into a tail spin.

Now, I'm really good at knowing how to eat out in restaurants and order food so it's healthy and calorie conscious. What I have not been good at, in the past, is planning snacks so I don't end up either starving or eating junk from the airport stores and restaurants.

So I decided to plan! The night before, in my purse, I packed an apple, a prepackaged single serving of peanut butter and some healthy crackers along with a plastic knife. I knew I could get nonfat lattes anywhere so I was covered for coffee (LOL, sorry, that's my lifesaver!) At the restaurant, for lunch, I ordered poached salmon on a bed of spinach tossed in fat free vinagrette. I ate half for lunch and saved half to eat as dinner later when waiting for my flight back home. The result?

I ate well yesterday and stayed within my calorie limits. It was easy, peasy not to fall victim to eating badly at my meeting or the airport and I was so happy with myself for planning ahead.

I guess it's true: If you fail to plan, you plan to fail. So...PLAN, PLAN, PLAN! In February we have a longer conference--several days--and I'm already planning on my survival kit for that!

What travel tips do you have for staying within your diet and getting exercise? Share, share, share!

Replies

• pleal
    pleal Posts: 6
    Options
    Good advice!
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    Good subject! I will be interested to see how others plan.

I take a few apples, pre-packaged trail mix, pistachios or almonds. Since I do not over eat almonds I will take a big bag of them with for whenever I am really hungry and have no place to get anything heatlhy. One year my whole family joined me in the almonds and I still had some left when I came home. I know how many calories 10 had and ate them in 10's. My sister was laughing at me but it worked. That vacation I did not gain one pound. I maintained and I was happy.

If I do not have time to pre-plan, I found you can buy an apple or banana in most places like airports, convenience stores, etc. It is higher but it is better then buying other junk out there.
  • catherine1979
    catherine1979 Posts: 704 Member
    Options
    Whenever I go to a conference, I scope out the hotel online first... does it have a pool? A gym? I also look to see what restaurants are close by, and check out their menu online if possible.
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    My husband works out of state , whenever he's within 6 hrs driving time of me I go spend the weekend with him. So I spend a lot of time in my car. I always have a goody bag with walnuts , string cheese , apples, and yogurt !
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,385 Member
    Options
    My husband works out of state , whenever he's within 6 hrs driving time of me I go spend the weekend with him. So I spend a lot of time in my car. I always have a goody bag with walnuts , string cheese , apples, and yogurt !

String cheese is also a favorite of mines.