What's the use of counting macros vs calorie deficit?

Options
Hi,

This might sound like a stupid question but I have read over and over on here that ultimately to lose weight you simply need a calorie deficit.

I was therefore wondering what the benefits are of controlling macros? I have been using a 40carb, 30protein, 30 fat ratio recently but would love a bit more information about the value of this?

I'm aware protein is important for muscle repair but if someone's general goal would be to lose a bit of fat and improve their lean body mass is this really necessary? It's just that I'm working long hours at the moment and have started eating more convenience food so seem to be going over carbs...!

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    It really isn't a vs thing. They are in combination. Ultimately to lose weight you need a calorie deficit yes...

I count Macros to ensure that I am getting in all that I need to maintain my muscle mass and be healthy.

And yes if you are looking to lose fat and improve lean mass than protien is very important.

Going over Macros isn't that big of a deal as long as you don't do it at the expense of the others.

That being said if you are hitting your macros you should be hitting your calorie goals too....
  • ajnb88
    ajnb88 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Even while staying under my calorie goal, I'll almost always go over on at least one macro - It's remarkably hard to get it perfect on both.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Without enough protein we risk losing lean muscle mass while losing weight , instead of mostly fat. So I try to get enough protein and don't really worry about the rest. I don't hit the protein spot on either. You're obviously doing better than me but if you want to say screw the macros for a minute while you temporarily give more focus to other things in your life, I would highly recommend the strategy of attempting to keep your protein high enough and letting the others fall where they may
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    You could lose weight with a calorie deficiency but if you are not meeting your macros then you will be in jeopardy of bad health. This is the benefit of macros. Macros ensure you are meeting your body's level of required nutrients. Calorie deficiency plus meeting your macros allows you to lose weight and achieve/maintain good health.
  • kessler4130
    kessler4130 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Your body can make up the difference in fats and carbohydrates if it needs to, but it cannot synthesize amino acids to preserve muscle. Muscle repair, recovery and growth all contribute significantly to your caloric needs, the more muscle mass you have, the more calories you will burn. Protein is the alpha macro nutrient, it should be full filled above all others, excess protein is simply converted to glucose and used just as a carbohydrate would be, although at a much slower pace than if you were to simply just eat carbs.
  • Lourdesong
    Lourdesong Posts: 1,492 Member
    Options
    What everyone so far has said. I'll just add that I'm here for weightloss but I track my macro's mainly for 2 reasons: 1) As a means to cross check my calorie total, and 2) to try to hit the protein total because higher protein helps me feel fuller longer.

I hope higher protein will also help preserve lean muscle mass, but on the day-to-day, that's not my top concern.

If carb-heavy convenience food isn't impeding your progress, then do what works for you. I personally would be hungry if carbs took over my diet.
  • FindingAmy77
    FindingAmy77 Posts: 1,266 Member
    Options
    you can go to the site IIFYM and read all about it. but I don't track macros. I only track calories and do my best at eating healthy and filling.
  • katmurraymint
    Options
    That's great- thanks everyone, really makes sense! Particularly the scientfic stuff Kessler4130! Also nice to see that everyone can give themselves a break from time to time :) Thanks again!
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    The "macros" thing has nothing to do with weight loss. If you eat fewer calories than you burn, you'll lose weight.

Some people have been told by doctors to eat low-fat, low-sodium, et cetera, so those other columns come in very handy.

Talk to your doctor, get your own recommendations and go from there.