stretched stomach?

Options
I lost 80 pounds 3 years ago and have since gained 15-20 back, im not sure how much since im too scared to step on a scale, i have been eating ridiculous amounts of food, and am scared that i will get back to my former self. i made up my mind yesterday that enough was enough i ate healthy all day and yet when i finished my shift at 11pm i was starving, is it possible i have stretched my stomach? and what can i do to ensure that i dont over eat even when i "feel hungry"? is it even hunger im feeling or habit? ive honestly lost knowing what it feels like to actually be hungry since i eat every hour or 2. help?

Replies

• Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You can't "stretch" your stomach. Your stomach doesn't get bigger or smaller based on how much or little you eat.

Make sure you are eating an appropriate calorie goal for you, and not too little. If you're eating too little calories, this could be the culprit. You don't need an aggressive goal, just a moderate one. If it helps, have snacks every 2 hours or so.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    You can't "stretch" your stomach. Your stomach doesn't get bigger or smaller based on how much or little you eat.

Make sure you are eating an appropriate calorie goal for you, and not too little. If you're eating too little calories, this could be the culprit. You don't need an aggressive goal, just a moderate one. If it helps, have snacks every 2 hours or so.

I eat a lot at work but I do not eat a lot of calories at work. Fruits and veggies are great snacks.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I think it's more of a mental thing. I also think it has to do wtih the quality of the food you eat. Make sure you're getting plenty of protein, healthy fats and fiber as these will help keep you feeling full longer. In my experience, eating mostly carbs just leaves me ravenous. For instance, yesterday I planned out a nice healthy day but decided to indulge when someone brought in treats for a co-workers birthday. After eating the sweets, I had a major blood sugar crash and had to eat more in order to have the energy to get through the rest of the day. That's just no good.

I also find boredom to be a major trigger for me. I'm good if I'm busy but once I get a chance to veg and relax, I might "feel" hungry. This is basically the same as emotional eating. So I find an alternative - keep busy by playing games on my tablet or reading a good book, or even better, getting off the couch and going for a walk or popping in an exercise video. The latter is great because if I'm still hungry after, I've earned calories for an extra snack. :)

P.S. I can relate. I'm just getting back on track after regaining about 10 pounds over the last several month. It's tougher than I'd have thought!!
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

I eat a lot at work but I do not eat a lot of calories at work. Fruits and veggies are great snacks.

Definitely! Snacks don't necessarily have to be high calorie :) There are a ton of great low calorie options that will help you feel full!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    no stretched stomach...

But if you are feeling hungry try eating more protien and fiber. They keep you feeling fuller longer.

I personally have to otherwise I am ravenous all the time...esp if I am eating fruits...
  • jessiedee28
    jessiedee28 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the tips, its nice to know people can relate. I just feel like im obsessed with food sometimes, so i know its all in my head sometimes, i used to have insane will power, now if you put chips infront of me they will be devoured. ugh...