How are Calories burned calculated on the site?

Options
I have been using an Elliptical machine which provides calories burned as you are excercising. I notice when I enter the time on the this site, the calories burned is much larger than the amount the machine indicates. Any advice on whether I should go with the machine or the site calculated calories burned?

Replies

• Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, I would invest in a good HRM. I found this site is very..generous when it comes to workout calories. I also find the gym isn't that reliable either. But of the 2, I would say go with the gym.
  • Dafrog
    Dafrog Posts: 353
    Options
    i always go with the gym, MFP always gives me more on elliptiacal as well and less on treadmill. I use the gym readouts. taught bout getting a HRM although cant justify the money right now, things kinda tight
  • rainastar
    Options
    I just Nike+ and calculates my calories burned based on my step, my weight and my pace and it off from MFP by about 20-30 calories. I would go with the gym over this one, personally.

But, yes, a Heart Rate Monitor would help fill the gap.
  • luv2ash
    luv2ash Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options
    MFPs calories burned is very inflated--I wear a HRM and MFP is always 200 or more calories more!!! Thats important stuff, and I am not sure why MFP is so inflated.
  • ktrame71
    ktrame71 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I have been using the calories burned according to mfp. I find the monitors on the machines give me a different readout each time I am on the particular machine. I do agree that a heart rate monitor would be the best way to have an accurate count. Someday I will get one of those....
  • jaycee76
    jaycee76 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I have a hrm and find that the gym equipment is way under calories burnt. Some of the sessions on MFP lists are a little over but not massively for my details
  • alyssa83202
    Options
    Definitely go with the machine's reading, it knows how fast you are going and at what resistance so it will be more accurate than the MFP suggestion. Sometimes, I burn less than the MFP calculation and some days I burn more. It all depends on how hard I'm working.
  • pleal
    pleal Posts: 6
    Options
    Thanks for the input everyone!