What to eat in outdoor event - help?!

Options
Hi!

I'm kinda freaking out a bit here. We are going to an airshow Sunday with the kid and some friends, however, there will not be any healthy food, it's all going to be fastfood or a airport bistro that have stuff like mac and cheese grilled cheese and typical Quebec food (poutine anyone?).

Edit I just read that outside food is forbidden! :( can't even bring water bottles or apples

I really want to go, it's something I know we will all enjoy.

But for ONCE I'm -very- motivated about eating right and exercising, I don't think eating hotdogs, poutine and burgers would be the smart thing to do, especially since all the food stands wont have any nutritional info so I wont be able to calculate precisely.

Ideas? should I just stay home? I really want to go, but seriously being healthy is way more important for me right now.

PS - I'm also not sure how i'll hold to the temptation of all the yummy greasy food. I'll know more tonight (I'm going to see a movie and I'm a huge popcorn fan, I'll bring my own (sssh! we're not supposed to do that) so it's a inbetween, I'll still get the crunch, without the buttery/salty goodness of the theater popcorn :P

Replies

• StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    First you'll be walking around all day so the extra calorie burn should offset the extra calorie intake.

I'd probably go for a hot dog. You won't know the exact details but can guesstimate. Normal buns are about 110-150 calories each, and the hot dog itself probably 150-250?
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I'd bring my own food. There are a lot of options you can take in a small backpack that doesn't need to be refrigerated.

This site has a good list

http://greatist.com/health/healthy-portable-fridge-free-snacks
  • geneva042
    Options
    no food allowed on site :(

They check the bags and all
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Eat there if you're there long enough to have a meal. Only eat 1 meal instead of mindlessly grazing through a bag of popcorn meant for 4 people. One meal will not make any difference in your long term success.

I go to beer festivals and wine festivals all the time. I eat one order of something and move on. I log it as best as I can, but with all the drinking, I usually add 2,000-3,000 quick calories and call it a day. I go to the gym the next day.

Calorie counting doesn't mean not eating. Everything in moderation. Poutine 1 day will not change your overall results.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    what is wrong with hamburgers and poutine? seriously?

I ate those while I was losing, i just didn't eat two burgers and an extra large poutine.

Why give up something that you really want to do because you are trying to lose weight? are you never going to go anywhere again that might have "AMG BAD FOOD"...

Please...
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I would wake up and get a workout in beforehand. Then I would eat a good breakfast.

I'd go to the event and have a great time - and probably a burger. Nothing wrong with a burger (or anything, really, as long as it fits).
  • Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Eat a large breakfast. Eat a meal just before you go; heck, even eat something while in your car. Just don't allow yourself to get hungry, go to the event and look for the highest calorie foods. Alternatively you can just save all of your calories for the event and just enjoy yourself. That or if you trust yourself, find something sensible like a simple sandwich, wrap, plain hot dog, etc. And only finish half of it or eat based off of real hunger cues.

I'm going to a beach picnic event today and there will be yummy foods but I'm not going to freight. It should be fun rather than to worry about a single days food intake.
  • murphy612
    murphy612 Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    no food allowed on site :(

They check the bags and all

Oh, didn't know that. I'd either eat a very large breakfast so I wouldn't be hungry and just drink water. Or eat the food there in moderation. Maybe half portions and share with others? That's about all I have, that's a tough one!
  • wyattj99
    wyattj99 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I didn't lose 70 lbs by staying home and not having a life. Like they said, one meal wouldn't break you, eat bad in moderation and your going to be walking which means burning calories.
  • geneva042
    Options
    Speaking of hot dogs specifically, I don't think eating one would be the WURST choice (har har).

ahaha

well after much talk with the bf, we decided not do go
    NOT because I couldn't find a way to eat food there, but because that with a toddler not having snacks on hand is suicide (especially since he's having a growth spurt atm and eats like a pig! seriously this morning he had like... 2 bowls of oatmeal with berries in it, one banana and a huge glass of milk!)

Also, only place we found with kids earprotection are soldout for the week and ordering from amazon would be too tight on time :S

I mean, at worse, an apple and nuts are easily hidden in a diaper bag :P

we'll go somewhere else instead though, there's the hot air ballon festival that's closer ^-^
    we always try to do outdoor stuff on sundays anyhow :D

thanks everyone for the answers!