Gallon of water a day.

Options
Does anyone consciously drink this? I read an article of a woman who did every day for a month and she found it was really beneficial. Just wondering if anyone finds this helpful with diet and overall health?

Replies

• 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    Unnecessary. The conventional wisdom is that you need 8 cups of water, from all sources. That includes water contained in foods. I personally aim for 8 cups of water a day straight up, but that's a far cry from a gallon.
  • Branstin
    Branstin Posts: 2,320 Member
    Options
    The amount of water a person should drink depends on many factors like health, medication, weight, climate, etc. The key is to keep your body well hydrated and this could come from fluids in fruits, soups, coffee, tea, and not just water.
  • kimnsc
    kimnsc Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I do it because I tend to sweat alot while working out and I noticed that it really helped my skin.
  • spiralated
    spiralated Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    The amount of water a person should drink depends on many factors like health, medication, weight, climate, etc. The key is to keep your body well hydrated and this could come from fluids in fruits, soups, coffee, tea, and not just water.

This ^

A "normal" day at work I drink far less than what I drink at a full day of drum corps rehearsal (where I probably get about a gallon and a half of fluids). Listen to your body, not a rule.
  • thecrushinator
    thecrushinator Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    I've heard evrything from 8 8oz a day to formulas for have your bodyweight in oz's.
    Personally I get down about a gallon and half a day. It gets really easy after a while, I'm very fidgity so fidgit by drinking water.

Positives: Skin is awesome! like really really awesome. nails started growing like crazy, eyes cleared up (I had that yellow thing going on) Teeth look a lot better too from lack of soda. monthly cramps are gone entirely.

Drink as much water as you can.

EDIT:

Yes you will have to pee every half hour, but you'll feel better.
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I drink half my weight in ounces each day (per my doctor) Now i a pretty big girl so drink about 125oz each day. It's hard at first I was always in the bathroom but once my body got use to it, i didn't go as often. I find for me that I never truly feel hungry (i eat 5 small meals every couple hours as well) so I am eating for nutrient rather than hunger. My skin is also alot healthier, my face is clear, smooth and glowing. I had dry patches on my elbow that no longer exist. I actually crave the water, I am thirsty if i don't get the water in. I also eat alot of fruit and know that there is water in the foods i eat that add additional water intake.

I have a 32oz water bottle at work and I drink 4 of them throughout the day as I don't have a bubbler at home and tend not to drink as much when i am home.

I don't know if it makes a difference in the actual weight loss, but I have found that if I am full I am able to maintain my calories each day which indirectly is helping with the weight loss... so :drinker:
  • rhoule76
    rhoule76 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I drink on average around 80 oz a day because I find I do feel better when I do this. Some days it's less, depending on my body and how I feel.
  • edetloff
    edetloff Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think I am pretty close because I drink three 16 oz bottles at the gym. and I drink about three 16 oz solo cups at work, there are 128 ounces in a gallon. So I might be about 32 ounces short, as a guess.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    My son does, because he has migraines and his neurologist recommended it. Some people are very sensitive to deydration and their headaches are caused by even very minor fluctations in fluids.

My father-in-law does because he has serious kidney problems.

I did when I was nursing. 42 oz for the baby, the rest for me.

I do not. But there have been studies that suggest that it is a MYTH that we all need that much water in a normal temperature environment when we're not sweating a lot.

But it won't hurt to drink a glass of water an hour.
  • R_Bedard
    R_Bedard Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I drink 4Litres a day which is just above a gallon. I feel refreshed and my skin feels good. I find it easier on workout days. The bad part is - you go to the bathroom A LOT! Also, spread it out. I drink 24oz with my workout, 24oz on the way home from my workout, and try to get 24oz with every meal. I have cut out pop and find it easier now!
  • Shropshire1959
    Shropshire1959 Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    Nope .. drink when you are thirsty.

oo...oo .. Imperial (real) or American gallon? :-p
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    I'm about a gallon sometimes more, but its because that's ALL I drink...n it's flippin hot here!
  • iheartinsanity
    iheartinsanity Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I live in the PNW, and I still drink a gallon to 1.5 a day (but no more than that). I do an hour of cardio, plus 30 mins to an hour of weights 5-6x a week, plus I walk to run all my errands 5 days a week...so it's 100% vital even in a moderate climate. I have an extremely high activity level and usually walk 30K or more steps a day. If you're sedentary and sit at a desk 5 days a week you might reconsider, but if you're activity level is high, I'd highly recommend it.
  • jms1739
    jms1739 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I try to drink at least a gallon a day. It helps me to feel full, helps with body function and keeps my skin hydrated. Plus when I work out I sweat a lot and if I don't drink more water, I get cramps and headaches due to my body needing more fluids.

But I feel that it is a person preference, and every one should do what they feel is necessary for themselves. The normal recommendation is 8 8oz glasses of water a day. But if you feel you need more then drink more. Just be careful because you can cause serious health issues if you drink way more than your body can handle.
  • craftergin
    craftergin Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I drink about a gallon a day. Before I changed how I eat and move, I developed gout. Drinking lots of water is a way to keep from having a flare-up and/or kidney stones. It also helps with elimination (both #1 and #2).
    Like others have said, listen to your body. Personally, I'm a firm believer in flushing toxins out of the body.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    I drink at least a gallon every day without trying, and that doesn't include my coffee, tea, and foods (I eat a lot of fruit and soup).

Some people are just fish.
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Same here. A gallon is nothing on most days, especially when I'm training. AC in summer and heating in winter take a lot out of me, too. Positives for me: no headaches, no cramps, nice skin, not tired all the time.....extra cardio due to bathroom on the 2. floor....
  • Jerseygrrl
    Jerseygrrl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I drink a half gallon a day. I find that, when I stick to it, I feel "better" over all. Specifically, I feel more energetic, I have better workouts, I sleep better, and my stomach is flatter.
    There is absolutely nothing scientific to back this up. It is just my experience. I think, like just about anything, "your results may vary."
    I worked into it slowly. 8 ounces a day, then 16, and so on. I take a 48-ounce bottle of water to work and I have to have it finished before I leave for the day. That leaves just 16 ounces to get in at home, and it seems very doable.