HELP!! Clueless female *body beast*

Options
So I finally took the plunge and ordered body beast today... but as always I keep stressing about not knowing what the heck am doing. I have never lifted before, besides doing les mills pump 3 times a week, and totally clueless as to what weights I am going to require.. I contacted beachbody for advice on what weight range I am going to require, they were of no help!!! I know its a bit of an awkward question as everyone is different... would adjustable weights be my best option? really don't want to be spending the crazy amount of money on the bowflex sagi recommends for the program... anyone got any recommendations for good weights that are not overly expensive? as I say... totally clueless, maybe I am over thinking stuff, just don't want to waste my money on weights that I am going to quickly progress out of... kind of wish they gave you a weight range to be lifting like they do in les mills pump for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels

Replies

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    You might get more replies if you put more exclamation points after HELP. :bigsmile:

I'd get adjustable dumbbells that go to at least 20 lbs each hand, like this:

http://www.walmart.com/c/kp/adjustable-dumbbells

And a door-mountable resistance band kit, like:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Bundle-Monster-11pc-Resistance-Exercise-Bands-Ankle-Band-Set-Yoga-Gym-Fitness/31430804

Eventually you may need to add heavier plates to the dumbbells, but that one should last you for at least a couple months. Or look for a bigger set at thrift shops.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing Body Beast. I use dumb bells (5,10 & 15 lbs), a stability ball & pull up bar. You don't need the bowflex and I'm not sure why they would recommend it since no one is using a machine. You could get the resistance band with door attachment in place of the pullup bar, but I purchased mine on Amazon for about $30. Agree with looking at thrift stores, craigslist or garage sales if you want to acquire more, but if you are just starting I would recommend what I use. I'll friend you for more support and DON'T GIVE UP!!
  • thump418
    thump418 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I have done Body beast several times now. the only equipment you really need is a stability ball, adjustable weights (only because having to change the weights out is a pain), and a pull up bar (or a band with a door attachment).

You can get adjustable weights at target that will go from 5-25 pounds for about $35 each. All the exercises can be done with dumbells.

the Bowflex that is being suggested is not the the machine with the bands. It is the bowflex selectec. It is an adjustable weight set that goes from 5-52.5 pounds. That is what I use, but I used the 25 pound adjustables for the first time i did it.

Body Beast is a great workout. If you need help/support with the work out just give me a shout

Greg
  • dedicationANDdumbbells
    Options
    I just started another round of Body Beast feel free to add me. I use dumbbells ranging from 7 to 30 lbs., EZ-curl bar and a weight bench. I use the resistance bands instead of the chin-up bar. I already had this equipment before purchasing Body Beast. If I were just starting out and slowly trying to add equipment I would purchase dumbbells and a stability ball 1st. Just my thoughts. Good luck and Beast Up! :)
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The "Ghetto" solution would be to purchase a stability ball, a chinup bar, and a selection of weights ranging from as low as 5 lbs to as high as 30-40, and you will eventually need to step up even from that. The program recommends using more equipment than that, but you can make do with just that (though some exercises will be awkward).

Honestly after you look at the wide range of weights you'll need, adjustables start to not seem so expensive. And Powerblock is superior to the Bowflex ones Sagi recommends (Beachbody pushes Bowflex heavily due to affiliate reasons).
  • Strongandscrappy
    Strongandscrappy Posts: 1,735 Member
    Options
    I am starting body beast in about a month after I finish my second round of P90x3. I'm alittle nervous too because I don't know what to expect. Looking for friends that have done it or are doing it.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    The "Ghetto" solution would be to purchase a stability ball, a chinup bar, and a selection of weights ranging from as low as 5 lbs to as high as 30-40, and you will eventually need to step up even from that. The program recommends using more equipment than that, but you can make do with just that (though some exercises will be awkward).

Honestly after you look at the wide range of weights you'll need, adjustables start to not seem so expensive. And Powerblock is superior to the Bowflex ones Sagi recommends (Beachbody pushes Bowflex heavily due to affiliate reasons).

Wow ghetto? Really?
  • msunat97
    msunat97 Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Body Beast isn't bad. Here's a female review for some perspective. http://www.ashleysweeneyrd.com/beast/

I found another site when I was looking at BB last year. I'll look for it to see if I can find the link again. This review went step-by-step through the entire workout with exercise explanations.

Don't worry about it. Watch the video & look at the exercise videos in bodybuilding.com for more help.
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    So I finally took the plunge and ordered body beast today... but as always I keep stressing about not knowing what the heck am doing. I have never lifted before, besides doing les mills pump 3 times a week, and totally clueless as to what weights I am going to require.. I contacted beachbody for advice on what weight range I am going to require, they were of no help!!! I know its a bit of an awkward question as everyone is different... would adjustable weights be my best option? really don't want to be spending the crazy amount of money on the bowflex sagi recommends for the program... anyone got any recommendations for good weights that are not overly expensive? as I say... totally clueless, maybe I am over thinking stuff, just don't want to waste my money on weights that I am going to quickly progress out of... kind of wish they gave you a weight range to be lifting like they do in les mills pump for beginner, intermediate and advanced levels

I already had the chin up bar, bands, and Bowflex dial weights (5 - 52 lbs) before starting Body Beast. I've done P90X, Insanity, and P90X3 before and I have to say I have REALLY enjoyed Body Beast. You'll find Sagi gets annoying (he NEVER shuts up), but the workouts really push your body to the limit and you will see results if you stick with the program.

Feel free to add me as a friend if you want to compare notes/advice.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options

Wow ghetto? Really?

Body Beast is a pretty equipment intensive program, and if you go with that equipment selection I mentioned, you'll be using the "low equipment" modifier for most every exercise. If you don't think that affects the results as opposed to working with the more "recommended" equipment selection, you've got another thing coming.
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    The highest weight I've used is 30lb. Smallest is 5 lb. when you start 5's, 10's, and possibly 15's would be a good place to start with dumbells. You can use them instead of EZ curl bar too