Suddenly gaining weight back after losing over 100 Lbs

Options
Hi,

This is my first time posting here, just started using the site about a week or so ago.

I currently weigh 266-268(fluctuations), 5' 10". In september of 2012 I weighed 377 Lbs, I dropped about 50 lbs because of a medical condition that fall/winter, and decided afterwards I wanted to finish what my body started. I started dieting last summer and since then have lost another 60. But, about 2 months ago I weighed 261, I'm starting to get worried that this isn't a plateau and I'm somehow putting the weight back on even with 500 calorie deficits each day. I'll admit, I haven't been getting out to the gym as much lately and when I do it's not for long because I'm just so darn tired all the time. Has anyone experienced a temporary weight gain or am I doing something wrong? I mean, I don't eat super-healthy like some, I simply can't afford to. But I do eat within my calorie goal, I should still be losing right?

Replies

• suprangela79
    suprangela79 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It might help if you opened up your diary for others to see and take a look at what you are eating everyday. :smile:
  • kdhamner
    kdhamner Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Have you adjusted your calories since your weight loss to reflect the change in your caloric needs? Also, since you aren't exercising like you were before, make sure that your MFP goal shows that, so if it changes anything with your caloric need, it will be reflected. You say you are really tired - have you had blood work done to make sure nothing else is going on right now?
  • Eoghann
    Eoghann Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    If you've started gaining weight again then by far the most likely explanation is that you're not actually at a 500 calorie deficit any more. That could be for a few reasons:

- At 266 lbs your BMR will be significantly less than it was at 377 or even 327 and that could cut into your deficit
    - You are getting less exercise but haven't adjusted your diet to compensate for burning less calories
    - There's something off in your calorie estimates.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    As others have said, reassess your goals. After losing 100 lbs not only do you require less calories to maintain weight, you also burn less calories doing physical activity. Add in to that your self reported decrease in physical activity and this may be the cause of your stall. I'd personally spend a couple weeks playing around with your calorie intake in an attempt to find what your new maintenance calories are. After eating maintenance for 2 weeks to a month, I'd then reestablish a deficit by removing calories and weight loss should resume at that point. I do this every 10-12 weeks of dieting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Eating healthy food has cost me less than eating junk food. I don't know why everyone says it's so much more expensive. It isn't. If you'd rather not eat healthy food, that's totally cool. But it really isn't more expensive.

Check with your doctor to make sure everything is okay.

Exercise more. It will give you energy and help get the fat off. Eat a little less (or eat more food, but make it healthier.)
  • nickimeade
    nickimeade Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I mean, I don't eat super-healthy like some, I simply can't afford to. But I do eat within my calorie goal, I should still be losing right?

So, congratulations on losing the weight - you're doing great! But I am concerned about this comment about what it costs to eat healthy - this is sadly a myth that many people with lower incomes get trapped in. I understand that there are food deserts and that the cost of overly processed foods is often much cheaper than fresh foods, but you can eat right and get healthy even if your income is low. I do it every day on a very limited budget.

I don't think we are allowed to post outside links here, but, if you google search "eating healthy on a low budget" a ton of websites with resources pop up, including a very good one from the US Dept of Agriculture.

Opening up your diary for your friends to see will help, too, I leave mine open for my friends and it helps me remain accountable for what I eat. We are not wealthy but last night I prepared shrimp sauteed with spinach and acorn squash stuffed with quinoa, mushrooms and shallots.

And finally, you may need to adjust what you eat and when you eat - your metabolism may be working against you.

I have over 200 lbs to lose.. One day at a time, one healthy bite at a time. Good luck!
  • Krizzle4Rizzle
    Krizzle4Rizzle Posts: 2,704 Member
    Options
    As others have said, reassess your goals. After losing 100 lbs not only do you require less calories to maintain weight, you also burn less calories doing physical activity. Add in to that your self reported decrease in physical activity and this may be the cause of your stall. I'd personally spend a couple weeks playing around with your calorie intake in an attempt to find what your new maintenance calories are. After eating maintenance for 2 weeks to a month, I'd then reestablish a deficit by removing calories and weight loss should resume at that point. I do this every 10-12 weeks of dieting.

How YOU doin :wink:
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    When you make the commitment, it's lifelong not just when the weight drops off... I think this is where some get confused because we think that once the weight comes off we can maintain but if we resort back to our old lifestyles, it will return. I say this from personal experience...
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I would definitely recheck your numbers but also don't ignore the fatigue. Is there a reason for you to be so tired? If not, I would do as another poster suggested and get some blood work done.. my first thought was that your thyroid could be out of whack.. Good luck and congratulations on your great loss so far!!
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I would go over your numbers again since having lost all that weight. It is most likely that you are eating above maintenance if you are gaining weight. Readjust your numbers and take it from there. Make sure that you are weighing and measuring everything you eat so that your calorie counting is correct. Not going to the gym will no effect your weight loss as much as not being in the deficit will. Eating in a caloric deficit is the most important for weight loss.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1080242-a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1235566-so-you-re-new-here

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/819925-the-basics-don-t-complicate-it

These links should help you get back on track.