How often do you weigh yourself?

bgoodsmile
bgoodsmile Posts: 68 Member
I know (from the many, many times I have gained & lost the same 20-25 pounds....) that you should not weigh yourself every day. Yet, I can't help myself! Some mornings I am truly shocked to be up a pound when I only consumed around 900 calories the day before. I have lost 9.5 pounds in 4 weeks which is OK... I guess I am very impatient this time around & I just want to see those numbers DROP!!

Replies

• takkyboomboom
    takkyboomboom Posts: 43 Member
    Once a week for me. No particular reason other than I am positive that every day would be very bad for me! I would be totally obsessive then and would make bad choices. My nutritionist suggests once a month but that's not enough gratification for me!
  • sartho13
    sartho13 Posts: 4 Member
    Morning and night, i know you really shouldnt but i find its the best way to keep me motivated! And i know when im not weighing myself the scales become the enemy and i gain weight
  • Rhaynestorm
    Rhaynestorm Posts: 62 Member
    I weigh every morning without clothes and just after I use the bathroom. I like to see the up and down trend and I have a graph app on my phone that I input the data into. It works for me and helps keep me motivated. Sometimes it's frustrating to eat really well and still have the scale go up a pound and a half in one day for no reason but sometimes it drops by that much as well.

I wouldn't recommend that everyone do this, however. You just have to find what works for you.
  • ryblueeyes
    ryblueeyes Posts: 257 Member
    Once a week - first thing in the morning. Try hiding your scale. I've found that if it's out in the open, I will jump on it every chance I get. Also, try tracking your measurements monthly. Good luck on your journey!
  • Edwardshar
    Edwardshar Posts: 271 Member
    Every morning before I go to the gym! :) I try to keep it consistent at the same time every day. Helps take out some of the variance.
  • Beth_Gorman
    Beth_Gorman Posts: 35 Member
    Every morning so I can see what is working & what's not. I've noticed even when I eat around the calories you stated if I don't eat enough protein I still don't lose. I've started drinking drinks with protein.
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    I weigh every morning without clothes and just after I use the bathroom. I like to see the up and down trend and I have a graph app on my phone that I input the data into. It works for me and helps keep me motivated. Sometimes it's frustrating to eat really well and still have the scale go up a pound and a half in one day for no reason but sometimes it drops by that much as well.

I wouldn't recommend that everyone do this, however. You just have to find what works for you.

all of this

I would be so freaked out by weighing in just once a week or once a month. I would feel totally unsure of where I "stood". I weigh in every morning like the poster above and it's a great thing FOR ME but may not suit everyone.

I think it's important to remember that our weight loss is not linear. There are many factors that play into each day's weigh in such as sodium, water retention, exercise (muscle recovery "gains" can occur even with minor exercise), etc. I put faith in my overall diet/exercise habits and eating at a deficit and it pays off.

I will not allow one light day of healthy eating followed by a 0.5 lb "gain" derail that...I think this is where some people run into trouble and start believing "it doesn't matter what I eat, I still gain"...I told myself that for years and I was wrong.
  • vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    I weigh myself every morning without any clothes on, after I go to the bathroom (usually it's just before I jump into the shower). I'll sometimes weigh myself at night too for fun to see how much I put on throughout the day.
    I like to see the ups and downs. It helps me stay motivated and I can see trends. I'm able to see what foods are working and which ones not so much. This isn't for everyone though.
  • I do every morning before I have had anything to eat. I know that weight fluctuates, but I use it more as a guide to average my weight over the course of a week. It also helps me keep track of what days are not so good and what days are better. I know what food cause more weight fluctuation and what foods my body likes!
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    I know it's not healthy But I weigh myself everyday ... ???????????? it helps me stay motivated
  • IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER
    IUSE2BAHEAVYHITTER Posts: 105 Member
    ????????????????
    Morning and night, i know you really shouldnt but i find its the best way to keep me motivated! And i know when im not weighing myself the scales become the enemy and i gain weight

I agree
  • yellowsnowdrop
    yellowsnowdrop Posts: 154 Member
    I got really really obsessed with what the scale was saying to the point that it could totally wreck my week. I now weigh every 2 to 4 weeks and am happier with that. As long as I'm sticking to my calorie allowance and doing some gym work then know in the end this will all pay off. I've lost weight really FAST in the past but it never stays off because I don't learn lessons on how to do things properly, this time if it takes me a year to loose the rest of my weight (around 30lbs) then so be it.
  • I weigh myself every morning after I use the restroom and before I have anything to eat. Keeps me motivated.
  • radmack
    radmack Posts: 272 Member
    I weigh in just about every day.
  • Leenda62
    Leenda62 Posts: 96 Member
    Everytime I am in my bathroom. Sometimes I go for best 2 out of 3. LOL
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    I weigh once a month. I try to weigh a few days after my period just for consistency's sake, so sometimes it's 3 weeks between weigh ins and sometimes it's more like 5 weeks between them. It just depends on what's going on in my life and when I remember to get the scale out.
  • Jim_Barteck
    Jim_Barteck Posts: 274 Member
    I weigh in daily, but I'm comfortable with the daily ups and downs of water retention varying the weights. If that's an issue, then once a week or even once a month is a better choice.
  • missdibs1
    missdibs1 Posts: 1,092 Member
    everyday I can't help myself (I know)
  • lisaanne1369
    lisaanne1369 Posts: 377 Member
    Friday- good weight!
    Then waite till Tuesday or Wednesday depending on how bad I was over weekend!
  • kaseyr1505
    kaseyr1505 Posts: 624 Member
    I have started to weigh myself twice a day, so I can see my average weight, and figure out when I start to bloat before my period, and how much sodium causes bloating. I am close to my goal weight, so seeing the number does not cause any negative feelings.