water consumption

Options
I am wondering if ice tea counts towards your daily water consumption of 8 glasses of water or if it has to be a decaf drink that counts. Thanks for the replies.:happy:

Replies

• melkeps
    melkeps Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I always count water as water. any other drinks even the decaf or no calorie ones are extra.. I dont count them at all.
  • doshie1
    doshie1 Posts: 19
    Options
    I believe only 1 decaf drink a day counts towards your H20 intake...I think I remember reading that somewhere...but couldn't tell you where.
  • Lose6
    Lose6 Posts: 11
    Options
    Thanks for your help.
  • lucy_weng
    Options
    I've read in a few places that the 8 glasses of water can come from anywhere -as in soups, milk or even moist bread! I don't think coffee and alcohol counts though (goes straight through your body =p)
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    There is an amazing book called "You're not sick, you're thirsty". The quick answer to your question is no. It is important to keep track of the amount of pure water you drink. Interestingly enough, according to this doctor it isn't 8 glasses for everyone. For one thing, people have different definitions of a "glass". 8 oz.? 12 oz.? 20 oz.?

He suggests drinking half of your body weight in ounces.

For example, a 200 lb. person should drink 100 ounces.

That would be:

12.5 8oz. glasses or
    8 12oz. glasses.

It would only take 5 of the 20oz. cups given at some restaurants.

I hope this helps and suggest the book. It is important also for your skin to have enough water. It also keeps you feeling engergized.

P.S. The excess trips to the girls' room can take some getting used to, but it is worth it.
  • Graceannelizabeth
    Graceannelizabeth Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I am having a hard enough time drinking 8 glasses of water a day (64 oz) which is the recommended amount. I couldn't possibly drink anymore.:noway:
  • wildmamatiger
    wildmamatiger Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    That is the recommendation per the Mayo clinic to "avoid dehydration". I prefer to set my standards a little higher than just to avoid being dehydrated. Also, those recommendations are not tailored to an individual's current weight situation. Neither does it take into account that we are trying to lose weight. That is the bare minimun in order to avoid negative health consequences.
  • NMandaMarie
    NMandaMarie Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    Besides having a belly full of water and having to pee a lot, I've only have good results from drinking water. Here's my testimonial about water:

1) I eat less when I drink the right amount of water
    2) My skin is clearer. I used to have a general redness on my upper arms and it would get worse when I worked out. It was so embarrassing at times I would wear a short-sleeved shirt to the gym or not go at all. Don't have that issue anymore. :)
    3) I feel better. It's hard to explain this one. I just feel like I'm physically working better, that my body is processing everything better...
    4) I can run on the treadmill b/c I have the energy - I've never been a much of a runner. This (water + treadmill) also helped my joints not ache, running or not.
    5) I used to get little headaches all the time - not any more
    6) My TOM was no fun, now it's tolerable ;)

I can't stress enough to people that they can't afford to NOT drink water. "We're made to drink water; its not like the cave men had coke." :D