Cheating Daily, almost binge eating in a way

Options
Ok, so I was stupid and got on the scale this morning and due to me getting back into my bad eating habits and not working out I gained back my 6lbs and an additional 3lbs. Then decided to eat a damn candy bar!! So basically I have a problem. I will do great all day pre-plan my meals and be within and sometimes under my limit. Then once I hit home after work, its chips and salsa, some bread with butter, a piece of cheese and a 90calorie soda. Then I will make dinner and eat it. Then after dinner probably end up having a beer or two. So my perfect day at work ends up horrible. I know I should just eat veggies or something when I get hungry making dinner but I always go for the bad stuff. Also no matter what time I go to bed I am soo beat and choose sleep instead of working out. Has anyone else had this problem with stuffing their face once they get home? If so how did you beat it? Also my diary is open so feel free to take a look! Thanks in advance! :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Replies

• const1ar
    const1ar Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Heres the thing...you have to recognize your triggers..as a person who lived with Bulimia for several years and struggled with binge eating disorder after my original "recovery" I have a ton of experience with this issue and honestly I can say it continues to be an everyday struggle. My advice to you is to talk to your doctor. Both binge eating and oversleeping are symptoms of depression. It may be that you are just feeling over indulgent after a workday of being on track, but something else might be going on. If you think it is just over indulgence I would suggest you start doing activities to keep you busy and keep your mind occupied. good luck =]
  • meinola
    meinola Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Ok, so I was stupid and got on the scale this morning and due to me getting back into my bad eating habits and not working out I gained back my 6lbs and an additional 3lbs. Then decided to eat a damn candy bar!! So basically I have a problem. I will do great all day pre-plan my meals and be within and sometimes under my limit. Then once I hit home after work, its chips and salsa, some bread with butter, a piece of cheese and a 90calorie soda. Then I will make dinner and eat it. Then after dinner probably end up having a beer or two. So my perfect day at work ends up horrible. I know I should just eat veggies or something when I get hungry making dinner but I always go for the bad stuff. Also no matter what time I go to bed I am soo beat and choose sleep instead of working out. Has anyone else had this problem with stuffing their face once they get home? If so how did you beat it? Also my diary is open so feel free to take a look! Thanks in advance! :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Have you considered trading your AM cereal for a high protein shake? I find if I start my day with more protein, I'm less likely to indulge in "bad" treats. And maybe try a couple of other swaps, greek yogurt for your sour cream (tastes practically the same, but you can also make it sweet with honey and cinnamon. really yummy), maybe some real dark chocolate instead of the Fiber One bars, so you feel like you are actually indulging? I keep the individually wrapped dark choc squares with sea salt in my freezer and two usually kills my chocolate craving at night. If you know you want the beer, can you nix the soda? Personally, I can't have ANY "real" Coke/soft drinks, b/c then I want to eat Popeye's or Wendy's. :noway:

Hope this helps!
  • CassieR6
    CassieR6 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Have you considered trading your AM cereal for a high protein shake? I find if I start my day with more protein, I'm less likely to indulge in "bad" treats. And maybe try a couple of other swaps, greek yogurt for your sour cream (tastes practically the same, but you can also make it sweet with honey and cinnamon. really yummy), maybe some real dark chocolate instead of the Fiber One bars, so you feel like you are actually indulging? I keep the individually wrapped dark choc squares with sea salt in my freezer and two usually kills my chocolate craving at night. If you know you want the beer, can you nix the soda? Personally, I can't have ANY "real" Coke/soft drinks, b/c then I want to eat Popeye's or Wendy's. :noway:

Hope this helps!
    [/quote]

Thank you very helpful tips! My sour cream is what I use to make my dip for the veggies. Never thought of using greek yogurt instead. The days that I would workout I got in the mode of making a smoothie which I loved but I have it in my head that I can only do that if I work out! I am strange.

Oh and now I want Popeyes's and Wendy's! Hahahaha :wink:
  • CassieR6
    Options
    Ok, apparently I screwed up the formatting haha
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to lose you will need to place some foods off limit. For me it was my eggs & bacon w/ buttered toast in the morning and fries & chips with lunch. For dinner I got rid of the big potato carbs and the butter & sour cream. Salsa is not to bad but the chips can be very bad. It also helps to replace the bad food with good foods. I went with a 900 calorie oatmeal breakfast with fruit and nuts. I snack a lot too. Apple and lite protein shake in the morning and lean meat for lunch (340 ~550 cal) tree nuts and a baby bella 50 cal cheese in the afternoon. I don't do starving well. Throw in some running and I am good.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    The best thing I can suggest is to just work those things into your day. If you know you're going to have chips and salsa when you get home from work, work them into your calorie goal.

I looked at your diary, and I noticed you have a 1200 calorie goal. That's awfully low. Is there a reason you have such an aggressive goal? Perhaps being at a more moderate deficit would be more beneficial to you. In essence, because you are being too restrictive and aggressive with your calorie goal, your body is rebelling. It's telling you to eat more, when in fact, you should be listening to it and eating more. Also, when you exercise, you should be eating at least half of those calories back. You need to fuel your body properly for the extra work you're giving it.
  • meinola
    Options
    Thank you very helpful tips! My sour cream is what I use to make my dip for the veggies. Never thought of using greek yogurt instead. The days that I would workout I got in the mode of making a smoothie which I loved but I have it in my head that I can only do that if I work out! I am strange.

Oh and now I want Popeyes's and Wendy's! Hahahaha :wink:

I know, the fast food cravings are TOUGH! But it's also about the little swaps/omissions, I went to Chipotle with a friend over the weekend and got a burrito bowl (so no tortilla, had brown rice instead of white, no cheese, a REALLY hard thing for me) and we split a bag of chips, each only eating about 6-8. Definitely eat more protein. My trainer recommends 1 gram per pound, which seems INSANE, but it absolutely keeps you more full and from bingeing on the bad carbs. A couple more ideas, whole grain breads and drink as much water as you can. I don't log mine (I should), but I typically drink close to a gallon of water a day.
  • CassieR6
    Options
    The best thing I can suggest is to just work those things into your day. If you know you're going to have chips and salsa when you get home from work, work them into your calorie goal.

I looked at your diary, and I noticed you have a 1200 calorie goal. That's awfully low. Is there a reason you have such an aggressive goal? Perhaps being at a more moderate deficit would be more beneficial to you. In essence, because you are being too restrictive and aggressive with your calorie goal, your body is rebelling. It's telling you to eat more, when in fact, you should be listening to it and eating more. Also, when you exercise, you should be eating at least half of those calories back. You need to fuel your body properly for the extra work you're giving it.

I agree! It always gives me that little of a goal. Probably because I wanna loose as much as I can fast. Also once I start getting my big *kitten* in gear I plan on upping it to probably 1300 to 1400.
  • meinola
    Options

Also this +1. My new calorie goal is 1778 and allows for a loss of .7 per week.
  • jillian_fan2425
    jillian_fan2425 Posts: 167 Member
    Options

+1. Most people do not need to be at 1200 calories. I know you want to lose fast, but Rome wasn't built in a day and you didn't gain all of your extra weight in a day. It's better to be patient and be kind to your body as you lose weight. Also, some will disagree but I never put any foods off limits. I wouldn't have stuck with this as long as I have so far if I had done that to myself. I have made simple changes, like trying to drink more water than I used to (which was basically none), eating more fruits and veggies, and getting more protein, but I still have a beer or diet soda with dinner if I want it. My guess would be that you're trying to stick to too strict of a regimen and that's why you find yourself cheating when you get home from work.
  • slomo22
    slomo22 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem, I just stopped buying junk food at the grocery store. Works like a charm! Buy some fruit for snacks. Papaya and mango, add lemon to the papaya...so good
  • KeairaSedai
    KeairaSedai Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I will start with saying I read nothing but the original post. I just wanted to put in what worked for me..

I used to LOVE eating, well I still do mind you. But since 4 weeks I can skip breakfast or eat a light breakfast, eat a very healthy lunch and dinner and I will be so full the rest of the night I don't want to snack. My most favorite thing ever was potatoes.. and chips.. and french fries..

I haven't had any chips in a month now, and potatoes only a few days in those 4 weeks, I am amazing myself, because I find myelf not even wanting them anymore.

The trick? Honestly? I don't know for a 100%.. I switched to a low carb diet, high in protein and fat. You seem to snack on savory snacks as well, so it's not so much sugar you're craving it seems... I no longer eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes (or only in really small amounts) but I upped the meat, fish, veggies and fruits. Wow. I mean, it's obvious of course, but even so I never actually did it. The best benefit for me (other than losing 8 pounds in 4 weeks, that I had gained and gained after setting my original goal here) is that I am full. I crave no snacks. I eat three meals a day and maybe a piece of fruit around 3-4pm.

So.. best advice? When you get home if it's no time to cook yet, do something relaxing that you enjoy, being occupied stops you from eating.. a good hobby or so. Then, if you can keep up the healthy eating for a few weeks, you'll find it becomes easier. The less snacks I eat the less I want them..

Maybe this is no help at all, but after 4 years I finally went to a dietician and now I am finally getting somewhere. Feel free to take a look at my diary.
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options

Hope this helps!

^^^This is what real advice is!!
  • mscheftg
    mscheftg Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Everything I've read so far, in the way of advice, is good. Awesome job everyone who answered!!!
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    I agree! It always gives me that little of a goal. Probably because I wanna loose as much as I can fast. Also once I start getting my big *kitten* in gear I plan on upping it to probably 1300 to 1400.

To ease into things, try to lose no more than 1 lb a week. This should give you a higher daily calorie limit. You may be able to fit a beer, snacks, etc into your day once in awhile and that may cause less binging. Once you're used to calorie counting, you can reset your goals, if you wish. It's better to lose slowly, steadily and succeed than to try to lose quickly and fail.
    Have you tried increasing your protein? Perhaps add a hard boiled egg to your breakfast or have one as a mid-morning snack, for instance. Protein will keep you fuller for longer. Some protein at lunch is helpful, too.
    As for exercise, I go right after work. I eat a small snack (nuts or a fruit, etc) as I leave work, go home, work out, then start making dinner and go on with my evening.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    The power is in your hands. Make a decision to be healthy or make a decision to be unhealthy. Your choice.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    In looking at your diet I'd say UP your protein (change MFP settings), and UP your fat. Add more of both to breakfast and lunch and your snacks. (aka not just cereal)

What works best for me is to focus on high fiber, slow burning carbs (vegetables and REAL whole grains) with lots of good fats and plenty of protein.

And, of course, remember: you didn't gain it over night, you can't lose it over night. One pound a week is PLENTY. You don't need to starve yourself.

I'm fine with fitting the empty calories into your day...but probably not all the ones you just listed in each day... that doesn't leave room for nutrient dense foods, which your body actually needs.

Good luck!
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I agree with all the people who said 1200 calories is too low for you. I'm 5'3" 193 and I'm losing about a pound a week at like 1430 calories a day. Plus, I will drink (I like beer too) back some of my exercise calories. I go to the gym around 8:30pm when my little monkeys go to bed. It sucks and all I want to do is go to bed then, but if I want a beer I almost never have the calories for it without going to the gym. Funny thing is, I hate to eat after exercise so I usually just shower and go to bed. This helps with my night time snack attacks.
  • mswoodsy
    mswoodsy Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    All the advice on here so far seems right. PaytraB; lots of protein will keep you fuller longer. If you REALLY have a hard time with portion control/willpower you may just need to avoid buying things like beer and chips till you have a little more control.

If its boredum, engrossing yourself in something entertaining could make a huge difference. If its happening to you a lot after dinner, maybe try a night time routine that puts you in a "no more eating" mind set. For example after dinner or your last planned snack brush your teeth (we all should be doing this anyway lol). Let the fresh clean minty feeling remind you that your done for the day.

If you're partaking in 420 style extra curricular activities, you may just be screwed... I have no advice for that. Laugh it off? lol

Honestly though, not trying to preach, if your calories are low so is everything else. Your body requires a certain amount of nutrition, and if its not getting it its going to keep asking for more.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options

Trust me when I say that having a more moderate goal is going to take you further than a 1200 calorie diet. Now, I'm not knocking 1200 calories, but unfortunately, it's not appropriate for most people. I understand you want to lose weight fast, and let's face it, who doesn't? But being too aggressive and restrictive will backfire on you... and it looks like it already is. Your body is SCREAMING at you already to eat more, that's why you are inclined to eat more as soon as you get home. It's telling you it's not getting enough. What happens when you're too aggressive, is that it sends you into a binge cycle, and you'll end up yo-yo-ing nonstop. You restrict, then binge because your body is telling you to eat, then you try restricting again, and then it's right back to binging. Either that, or you'll end up quitting because you simply can't hack it anymore and you're tired of not losing weight and being unhappy. Stop all of that nonsense in it's track right now. The simplest and easiest solution to that, is to simply eat a couple more hundred calories. Start with something like 1400 calories + exercise calories. Eat the foods you love, in moderation, and within your calorie goal. You'll be happy, you'll be satisfied, you won't feel deprived, and bonus, you lose weight. It might not be 2 lbs/week, it might be. But you'll still be losing, and it will be sustainable, because you've set yourself up with moderate and easy deficit.