weight fluctuation everyday

Options
I've been paying attention and keeping record of my weight fluctuation on the scale from day to day and it seemed to make sense for awhile, but now it fluctuates like a whole pound and a half from one day to the next. Like when I first saw the 123 a few days ago I was so happy cuz that's my goal weight but then the next day it said 125 and today it's 124.3. I haven't pooped yet so maybe that's why cuz my gross husband weighs himself before and after pooping ever since we got the scale cuz he thinks it's funny to see how much he loses after a poop. So maybe that's where my extra weight is? I'm still happy because the scale said 123, even if it was only once, because that means I've lost almost al my weight.

I thought my scale was just a piece oF crap but I've weighed my 10 lb dumb bells and other things and they're always exact so I know it's not the scale. Jw, is this normal for a scale and someone losing weight?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I've been paying attention and keeping record of my weight fluctuation on the scale from day to day and it seemed to make sense for awhile, but now it fluctuates like a whole pound and a half from one day to the next. Like when I first saw the 123 a few days ago I was so happy cuz that's my goal weight but then the next day it said 125 and today it's 124.3. I haven't pooped yet so maybe that's why cuz my gross husband weighs himself before and after pooping ever since we got the scale cuz he thinks it's funny to see how much he loses after a poop. So maybe that's where my extra weight is? I'm still happy because the scale said 123, even if it was only once, because that means I've lost almost al my weight.

I thought my scale was just a piece oF crap but I've weighed my 10 lb dumb bells and other things and they're always exact so I know it's not the scale. Jw, is this normal for a scale and someone losing weight?

Yes - this is normal. High sodium = water retention. Sore muscles = water retention. Hormonal swings can mean water retention.

You can weigh everyday if this is not upsetting to you. Look for weight loss as a "trend" down in numbers. I weigh the same time of day.....after morning potty break...I am typically wearing PJ's (essentially the same clothing).
  • kncapitano
    Options

I agree with the above poster. Normal weight fluctuations occur every day and within every day. Sometimes those weight fluctuations can be 5 lbs for example. It all depends on the foods you are eating (Water Retention) like mentioned above, as well as the workouts you do (Some cause swelling and water retention), and yes the fact that you haven't gone to the bathroom can make a difference too). Sodium rich foods can cause you to bloat, and some fibrous foods can cause gas like bloat which can alter what the scale says. Also...time of the month in women makes a HUGE difference. If you are about to start your period you may notice a small weight gain. Don't fret, all of these things are usually temporary. I prefer to focus on measurements and photos rather than depending on the scale since it doesn't differentiate between fat, muscle, organs, etc. Best of luck! xo
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

I agree with the above poster. Normal weight fluctuations occur every day and within every day. Sometimes those weight fluctuations can be 5 lbs for example. It all depends on the foods you are eating (Water Retention) like mentioned above, as well as the workouts you do (Some cause swelling and water retention), and yes the fact that you haven't gone to the bathroom can make a difference too). Sodium rich foods can cause you to bloat, and some fibrous foods can cause gas like bloat which can alter what the scale says. Also...time of the month in women makes a HUGE difference. If you are about to start your period you may notice a small weight gain. Don't fret, all of these things are usually temporary. I prefer to focus on measurements and photos rather than depending on the scale since it doesn't differentiate between fat, muscle, organs, etc. Best of luck! xo

Measurements!^ ......yes I should have mentioned that.

The number on the scale can be a big fat liar.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    I track my weight along with my exercise the day before. Over time, I can see how my workouts (and diet) impact my weight. The fluctuations of a few pounds up and down are normal.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've tracked my TOM, when I eat lunch at the cafe at the office (instead of taking my own), when I go on a business trip, when I eat out and when I do more or less exercise than usual. All these things affect the number on the scale. After a while of really looking at the data, you can get a pretty good idea of what's normal for you and what the underlying trend is. For example, for me the scale number falls off a cliff for about 1.5 weeks after my TOM, and then completely flatlines, all with the same calories, exercise and water consumption (which is why I measure my monthly weight loss from TOM-to-TOM rather than on the calendar month).
  • julesg100
    julesg100 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Good info, Dopeysmelly!