first 5K - going to be extemely cold - advice?

Options
So I'm doing my first 5K this Sunday. Most of my training has been done on the treadmill, but I have done several outdoor runs of the full distance. The race is in Cazenovia, NY and we're getting a cold front in. Currently, the weather forecast for Sunday is a high of 2 degrees F. Generally, the cold doesn't bother me too much - I've run in 20 degree weather, but never that cold. Anyone have any tips/suggestions for me? Have you ever run in such cold?

Replies

• jchecks
    jchecks Posts: 133
    Options
    my BEST advice is to wear something that covers your ears. when i run in the cold my ears bother me the most! and just the basics...drink plenty of water and stretch out good before the race!!!
    GOOD LUCK!!!
  • DanOhh
    DanOhh Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Dress like its 20° warmer. Once you get to running you don't want to overheat with too much on.
  • ingeborgv
    ingeborgv Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I live in Norway, and those kinds of temperatures are not unfamiliar.

Best advice is not about clothing, but skin care: Make sure you don't wear a water based moisturizer! Ouch...
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    Hey, my first 5k is this Sunday too! I searched for advice for running in the cold a while ago and found this: http://www.running4women.com/winter-running-wear/
  • Leannek74
    Leannek74 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    Pace yourself (of course) a little slower than normal, if you run too hard you'll pull cold air deeper into your lungs and have a hard time by the end.
    And use vaseline on your lips!
  • shawnpine777
    Options
    When I go running in the cold I always where base thermal pants and a shirt. Then I have a neoprene ski mask that keeps the cold from bothering me.
  • Aeriel
    Aeriel Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    Dress in layers and wear something next to your skin that will pull away moisture, so you don't get a chill. If everything is zip up and you get warm, you can open up a layer to cool off. Make sure head, ears and hands are covered to keep heat in. Good luck. BTW, I live in Alberta, Canada and those temperatures are the norm here for winter. :laugh:
  • phyllisbix
    Options
    Get a hat and wear layers. Underarmour makes a really good hat that I have used when walking/running in the winter. Good luck!
  • bettertracie
    bettertracie Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    1. Ear cover good, even necesary, even possiby like a motorcycle or messenger bike face cover, I'm sure you've seen something that covers the botton half of your face. I would probably wear light colored lens sunglasses to protect my eyeballs from the frozen.

2. If you can afford it, invest in some cold weather running tights for a base layer, it will help keep quads warm and will sting a little less, I havent got a top yet, and I've worked it out with just layers... But my coldest run has still been in the 20's...

You can do it!! Good luck!!
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I get cold-induced asthma, so a hit on an inhaler would be top on my list. :ohwell:

Breath in through your nose as much as you can. It'll (somewhat) warm the air on the way to your lungs, at least more than breathing through your mouth.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Layers... I ran my 1/2 marathon and I was used to 70 degrees and it was 40. I wore a long sleeve t shirt over my regular t shirt and just took it off and threw it away during the race. Also do you have running tights? those are awesome to keep warm under shorts.
  • ruddyrunner
    Options
    Wow, thanks everyone for the advice and encouragement.

I do have a pair of running tights that I will definitely wear as a base layer. I think I might pick up a hood/balaclava.

I never thought about water-based moisturizers - good tip, I'll be sure to avoid that.

I'm glad to hear that others brave the cold too :smile: That makes me feel a little better about Sunday. Thanks!
  • NotAllWhoWanderAreLost
    Options
    . The race is in Cazenovia, NY and we're getting a cold front in. Currently, the weather forecast for Sunday is a high of 2 degrees F.

Hey there!!! :) I used to live in Caz!! I ran on Monday night in 6 degree weather and did fine... this is what i wore:

thin liner gloves under fleece "Livestrong/Nike" runners gloves
    a sports bra, l/s compression t-shirt, a tech material 1/4 zip shirt (zipped), a thin microfleece top, and a mid-weight polarfleece vest
    yoga pants under my (now loose!) hiking pants
    regular socks/sneaks
    fleece/tech material hat
    thin fleece neck gaitor --- up over mouth for first 1/2 mile or so, then pushed down on neck once i warmed up.

it WILL seem odd to be out in zero temps with such thin clothes and no jacket, but you will warm up (and go a bit numb in the thighs)

Good luck in your race!
  • bode1all
    Options
    I definetly reccomend getting gloves designed for out door running, they keep your hands dry and warm. I ran a 10K Thanksgiving morning with horrible gloves that absorbed all my sweat and left my hands nearly frozen by the end.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    I often run in cold weather....just not that cold...unless it's a race!

My advice. Is like the others. Neoprine Ski Mask that covers your nose and mouth. Not only does this keep your dome warm. It will help warm up, moistureize the air you breath. Then dress in layers with the closest layer being something that "wicks" away sweat. And layer the rest.

You will warm up, but your hands and ears will feel the brunt of the air flow. Take extra care in those areas.