Options
Today, August 12, 2014 I am only able to run for five minutes. I signed up for a 5k on October 25. I NEED to be able to run it all, even though it is a run walk, it's my personal challenge to run it. I have a little over two months and I have no idea where to start other than C25k. Any advice would be much appreciated!!

Replies

• vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5k is perfect. I followed it back when I used to run and I went from 100% sedentary to doing the 5k by the end of the program. I wasn't fast but I could run the whole distance without stopping. I was also obese at the time.
  • tag624
    tag624 Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    I have done c25k too, I only made it to like week 5 lol, but I did do a color run in May and managed to run it in 33 minutes, couldn't run the whole time due to so many people in the way who were walking. There is so much adrenaline when you start that you just have the energy to run it faster than running home by yourself.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Yep, C25K will do it.

That said - a lot of people can't complete C25K in 8 wks and need to repeat weeks. So, you may not be ready to run the entire 5K. You may need to run/walk it.

You don't want to push yourself too hard when you start running or you can injure yourself and set yourself back weeks, if not months. If it hurts beyond normal tired muscles, you need to stop and fix the problem, not push through the pain.
  • KayBallin
    KayBallin Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    C25K is a great program. Do it.

When I first started, I could barely jog for a minute. I can now jog for 30 minutes.
  • meleileen
    meleileen Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I started with c25k, but never finished due to lack of cell service in the gym, but it was a great starting point. I would alternate between running and walking on the treadmill just like the beginning of c25k. My goal was to increase my run time each week. I started walking for 2 minutes then running for 3 for a total of 30 minutes. I now can run 6 miles:) I recommend building endurance, don't worry about how fast you run...I started at 4 mph walk and 5 mph run.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • parker313_99
    parker313_99 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    C25K is wonderful. Depending on what kind of phone you have, you can even download apps to time the segments for you. 2yrs ago, I used it to get back into running and eventually trained and ran a couple of half marathons.