Help With Running Please!!!!

Options
Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice, tips, help etc.

Bascially I have put in my application for Police Scotland and I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 14 mins comfortably.
I keep reading up and people are saying its easy and it is a jogging pace but for me it is hard.

I have a treadmill and have been running everyday but just do not feel like I am getting any fitter. I am trying to run the 1.5 miles and increase my speed slowly but the last couple of days I have been unable to even get to the 1.5 miles. I was noticing a difference at the start, I couldn't even run the mile in a half slow jogging but now I can do that no problems but I feel like I have hit a brick wall with my training.

I have no idea if it is because I am doing it every day or if I am not training the right way.

I just want to be able to pass this fitness test and would apprecaite any advice on how I should best train for this and how often.

Any help would be really appreaciated.

Thanks!

Replies

• leszek_d
    Options
    Hello mate,

you should consider runs with different intensity and different speeds if you want to run faster. Also remember that resting is very important part of the training, so a plan that looks like "run 30 mins each day" is not the best one. Describe in more detail how does it look like at the moment, how often do you train, how long are the runs and are these runs all the same or do you have some kind of plan.

Cheers,
    Leszek
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I would also ditch the treadmill and run outside.... the treadmill is a mind-numbing experience... all you do is keep checking checking time a distance.... just strap on your shoes go outside and run.
  • Stifler29
    Stifler29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thanks Guys!

It's funny cause that is exactly what I am doing running 30 mins everyday doing 5k. The first mile and a half I was doing in under 14 mins then jogging the rest.
  • kristypike
    Options
    I would also ditch the treadmill and run outside.... the treadmill is a mind-numbing experience... all you do is keep checking checking time a distance.... just strap on your shoes go outside and run.

I completely agree with this. The treadmill ALWAYS throws off my pace when I transition to running outside. I find that the treadmill helps with my motion, but there's nothing helping me when I'm outside.
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    It's funny cause that is exactly what I am doing running 30 mins everyday doing 5k. The first mile and a half I was doing in under 14 mins then jogging the rest.

It sounds like you're not getting enough rest. Unless you've been running for a long time, don't run more than once every 2 days; in other words, take a rest day between runs. You can walk on your rest day.

The other thing to consider is interval training. High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) is an effective way of increasing speed and endurance. The Wikipedia page is actually pretty good:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High-intensity_interval_training

Done properly, HIIT is unpleasant, but it is effective.
  • Muzica1959
    Muzica1959 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    I don't know what time frame you are working in but the C25K program is awesome. You only run every other day. On my off days I do Circuit Training. C25K is a 9 week program. Also, ditch the treadmill. It doesn't work the muscles that you need to pull you forward as much.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    It is going to be very difficult to build fitness with 15 minute runs.

For at least half of your runs, slow your pace way down and build more distance.

Also consider doing walk-run intervals, they are a great way to build run fitness.

Also agree with the others who suggest doing some cross training. Running is hard on the body, you have to build into it. Adding some cycling, swimming, elliptical - something that gets you cardio without impact - could help a lot.
  • ElliottTN
    ElliottTN Posts: 1,614 Member
    Options
    Just a side note: if the test will be conducted outdoors and you are just training on the treadmill, you might be REALLY screwed when test day comes.

Do you have access to a track anywhere? Running 400s (one lap) once a week is a great way to up some speed bc it will force your body to get used to running at the pace you need. Take the targeted pace you need for a mile and divide by 4. This will be your initial target time for a 400 meter run. Then subtract 15 seconds from that. This will help account for small elevation changes if you are running on the road vs a flat track. Now, do intervals with that time. 400 timed lap followed by 2 minute slow jog recovery to catch your breath/ rinse/repeat.

Start with a slow warm-up. Maybe a two lap jog with a few quick burst on the last lap. Do the 400s workout and then do a cool down slow lap followed by some stretching. First week try to aim for 2 intervals then add an interval or two the next week.
  • EastFork
    EastFork Posts: 25 Member
    Options

This.
  • walleymama
    walleymama Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Look for a "Learn to Run 5K" program online. Use that to gradually improve your fitness. After that, if you are not running that distance in the time you like, there is a "Learn to Run 5K Faster" program to up your speed. The beauty of these programs is they take you on a steadily increasing pace/distance at a rate that won't overdo it and cause injury down the line that will cause you to have to sit out for a few weeks (ask me how I know!).

And yeah, run outside. Treadmills don't get you using the same muscles as running on the ground. Because the platform is moving on a treadmill, you don't have to "push off" on your stride.
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    4161e835353f707134e9b886278fab8e.jpg
  • LoneWolfRunner
    Options
    919e23b12e177f26d6a4f9fb7382f9e5.jpg
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    I havr done the fitness test for Police Scotland at Jackton. It is made up of lapping the building, it includes up anddowns on the road. You also start with a half hour warm up inside and a couple of laps around the building.
    Like everyone else has said you need to do your main training outside. Maybe keep the treadmill for speed sprints when theres nothing on tv :)
  • Stifler29
    Stifler29 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tribesmamma since you have done the fitness test how do you think is the best way to prepare for this?

What does the warm up consist of?
  • jaegerks
    jaegerks Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    This may sound silly but don't forget some really great tunes with an upbeat tempo.
  • Tribesmama
    Options
    I basically marked out 1.5m path , i ran for time 2x week and slow distance 2x. Remember a warm up and cool down stretches ect. Like others are saying, REST is your friend

Warm up was 20mins jogging,stretches , various drills then laps of course outside. I will say the PE guy has one pace only , he doesnt like slow , u have to keep or beat him during warm up
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Bascially I have put in my application for Police Scotland and I need to be able to run 1.5 miles in 14 mins comfortably.
    I keep reading up and people are saying its easy and it is a jogging pace but for me it is hard.

OK, for the new entry test you need to be able to pass that, but when you get into Tulliallan you'll be running for longer, so I'd suggest aiming for the standard that you need to be running there, rather than the entry test. If you make probationer training easier to achieve from a phys perspective you'll make the academics and officer safety elements easier to achieve.

With that in mind I'd suggest getting a 5K training programme, that'll get you consistently running for 30 minutes, and within that you'll be able to do the fitness test quite easily. I'd suggest this podcast series on the NHS website; http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx

The 1.5mi/ 2.4km test is pretty standard in policing, military and the fire service, although 14 minutes is pretty relaxed. That's easier than my target, and I'm 44.

And get outside, a treadmill is not a realistic representation of the test. If you train on a treadmill you'll fail the test when you have to do it in the real.