polar heart rate monitor puts heart rate at zero?

Hi I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue I have a polar heart rate monitor and chest strap. I'll be working out really hard look down at my watch to find it has my heart rate is at zero. Has anyone else had this issue with your heart monitor? To get it working again i either have to take the strap off and put water on it on sometimes it just goes back on its own. I have replaced the battery on the watch and strap a couple weeks ago. I bought the polar heart rate monitor about year and half ago so it would be out warrenty

Replies

• I have the exact same problem with mine and it's around a year old.
    I have to re-wet it or move it around to get it going again. From what I've heard it's pretty common. :(
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    how certain are you that you aren't already dead?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    I had to clean the strap. And then ultimately replace it. Twice.
  • FierceV_Phat
    FierceV_Phat Posts: 55 Member
    They replaced my sensor once before.......and yes it's doing the same thing again! Mine is getting closed to be out of warranty! Thinking about sending it to them or just replacing it with a different brand!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    I have the exact same problem with mine and it's around a year old.
    I have to re-wet it or move it around to get it going again. From what I've heard it's pretty common. :(

Re-wet it. Make sure it doesn't move around. I wear mine under a (tight) sports bra. It goes to zero when it loses contact....or there is a problem with the battery.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Hi I was just wondering if anyone else has this issue I have a polar heart rate monitor and chest strap. I'll be working out really hard look down at my watch to find it has my heart rate is at zero. Has anyone else had this issue with your heart monitor? To get it working again i either have to take the strap off and put water on it on sometimes it just goes back on its own. I have replaced the battery on the watch and strap a couple weeks ago. I bought the polar heart rate monitor about year and half ago so it would be out warrenty

Use a spit technology. Spit is thicker than water and some HRM Straps love spitting on them.

No kidding jus' try it next time.

ETA : Ohh!! And do you wash your strap often. If not wash it as directed in the manual. Most need to be air dried. Do not throw them in dryer.
  • mish24canada
    mish24canada Posts: 152 Member
    its just frustrating because most my exercise is exercising classes so to have stop and try to get it working again is annoying
  • annaskiski
    annaskiski Posts: 1,212 Member
    I agree with DavPul, check your pulse.....
  • SMFRN
    SMFRN Posts: 108 Member
    I am having that exact problem too! Mine is about 1 1/2 years old. I replaced the batteries in both, washed the strap numerous times, got a different strap, etc. I contacted the company and they said it was the transmitter. They replaced the transmitter but it doesn't work at all now. I'm mad and confused what to do next. I'm thinking of getting a new one but a different brand.
  • gerla_k
    gerla_k Posts: 495 Member
    It happened to my ft4- i replaced the batteries, and it worked.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    For me, it happens when the chest strap isn't on properly. So I re-wet it and put it back on. Then it works.
  • ThinLizzie0802
    ThinLizzie0802 Posts: 863 Member
    Make sure you rinse it and hang it to dry after every use. Wipe the connectors on the strap and the device down to make sure you get any sweat buildup off. Maybe tighten it up. I rarely have an issue with mine, but when I do there is usually salt buildup on the metal connector from sweat.

For some of the other commenters, it sounds like you just got a defective one unfortunately. In general, people have a high success rate with Polars.
  • roanokejoe49
    roanokejoe49 Posts: 820 Member
    You may need a smaller strap.
  • angieroo2
    angieroo2 Posts: 970 Member
    Mine just stopped connecting. So I gave up using it.
  • LAT1963
    LAT1963 Posts: 1,375 Member
    I've had this problem with multiple different brands. Contact issues just seem to be unavoidable.

Check batteries. Check strap. Clean equipment. Email customer support to see if there is a reset protocol.

I don't know what the life-span of these things is. Maybe it is best to consider them a consumable that must be replaced every N-years (or months?).
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Go buy yourself a Garmin device. All other devices are essentially toys.
  • howardheilweil
    howardheilweil Posts: 604 Member
    I was having an issue like that. It was either not giving me any reading, or was shooting up to 199 and just staying there. I read the directions and discovered that you need to wash the strap after every 5 or so uses. Not just rinse it... It makes a big difference. You also need to make sure that you have it in a good stable location.
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,866 Member
    I had this problem and returned it to Polar for a warranty repair. Warranty is two years. Just go to their website and send them an email describing the problem and they send back instructions for registering the repair and sending it in. I found customer service to be fantastic, and got my HRM back in two working days.

Apparently the transmitter is prone to damage. When I got my HRM back, Polar sent a note that I should be careful to store the transmitter detached from the strap and in a dry place. I used to just throw the detached transmitter, watch, and wet rinsed out strap in a bowl on the counter.

Prior to sending it in you could try the following: Wetting the strap, wearing the chest strap tighter, washing the strap, replacing battery in both transmitter and watch, wearing the watch on a bra strap (ie closer to the transmitter). I've heard people say conductive gel (as used for ultrasound tests) helps too.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    This probably isn't the problem in a class but sometimes they're affected by electrical interference, like a tv or high power lines.
  • itsjustmish
    itsjustmish Posts: 107 Member
    I had the exact same problem with my FT4. Replaced the batteries in the watch and transmitter. Still the same issue. Then I replaced the strap with a smaller one and it was fine for a week until I put it in the washing machine (as per the instructions), it went weird again for a few days but then sorted itself out and has been fine for over a week now. I'm too scared to put it in the machine again so have been rinsing it every day after use, and will just give it a good scrub by hand at the end of the week.