French Onion Soup

Options
I just had left-overs for lunch today and thought I should share the recipe. It's so good! I serve it with half an arnolds sandwich thin toasted with 1 slice of Sargentos reduced fat provolone (100 Calories together). I also made this with no salt stock, but the nutritional info is with regular.

1 large spanish onion
2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
2 tbsp butter
1 tbsp dried rosemary
1 tbsp dried thyme
1 clove garlic
1 bay leaf
1 cup red wine
4 cups beef stock

Heat oil and butter in stock pot over medium heat. Slice onion into thin slices and add to heated pot. Cook slowly, stirring often until onions are caramelized (about 15 minutes). Add rosemary, thyme, garlic and bay leaf about 3-4 minutes before onions are done. Add wine and deglaze the pan (scrape the little browned bits off the bottom). After wine reduces, stir in beef stock, bring to a simmer and cook for about 10 minutes to meld the flavors. Remove bay leaf and serve with a cheesy crouton. Makes 4 servings.

Nutrition Facts (without cheesy crouton)
Serving Size 353 g

Amount Per Serving
Calories 197Calories from Fat 119
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 13.3g20%
Saturated Fat 4.9g25%
Cholesterol 15mg5%
Sodium 829mg35%
Total Carbohydrates 6.4g2%
Dietary Fiber 1.3g5%
Sugars 2.1g
Protein 3.4g

Vitamin A 5% • Vitamin C 6%
Calcium 5% • Iron 10%

Nutrition Grade D+
* Based on a 2000 calorie diet

Replies

• misshenn78
    Options
    Thank you!! I just had FOS for lunch, and have never attempted to make it myself!! Thanks for the recipe! :)
  • kianaik
    kianaik Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Love French onion soup.
    Bump!
  • Gary6030
    Gary6030 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sodium 829mg (35%)

That's half of the 1500 mg now recommended.

Maybe look for a low-sodium beef stock, or use sodium free bullion (like Herb Ox) to make your own stock. To stay healthy, especially heart healthy you need to watch sodium intake. Too much sodium leads to high blood pressure - something that affects 1 in 3 Americans.
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Sodium 829mg (35%)

That's half of the 1500 mg now recommended.

Maybe look for a low-sodium beef stock, or use sodium free bullion (like Herb Ox) to make your own stock. To stay healthy, especially heart healthy you need to watch sodium intake. Too much sodium leads to high blood pressure - something that affects 1 in 3 Americans.

I used no salt stock, but the nutrition calculator I used doesn't recognize that so I just know to take that number with a grain of salt (haha, get it?). Shout out to the kitchen basics no salt beef and chicken stocks! They are life savers in my cooking!
  • sarahbear119
    sarahbear119 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sound amazing! I'll have to try it.
  • abyt42
    abyt42 Posts: 1,358 Member
    Options
    wow....*bump*
  • dearestme
    Options
    Am I reading this correctly?

The name brand for no salt beef and chicken stocks is Basic Kitchens??
    Where can I purchase this? Sounds new??

Herb Ox has a sodium free bullion too?

Thanks!
  • mel_istheshit
    Options
    Am I reading this correctly?

The name brand for no salt beef and chicken stocks is Basic Kitchens??
    Where can I purchase this? Sounds new??

Herb Ox has a sodium free bullion too?

Thanks!

The brand is Kitchen Basics. I get it at Kroger, and I've seen it at Walmart too. Good luck finding it! I use it in everything.
  • Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I'm trying this recipe in my slow cooker for tomorrow. I'll let you know how it turned out!

Shannon