re weight gain after surgery

Options
Just to give a little background info I lost 53 pounds, 43 on mfp to get healthy and for total knee replacement. I weighed in at doctors before surgery and 3 days after surgery found myself up 14 pounds. The leg is extremely swollen and I know I received sodium chloride during procedure so I believe weight gain combination of water weight and fluid buildup. I kept to my calories after surgery, but know my activity has gone down. My question is twofold, do I log new weight or wait and see if it drops down in week or two. Second for any that has had this experience how long before excess weight will start to drop?

Replies

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    I personally would NOT log it. THere is no way you gained 14 pounds in 3 days (to do so you would have had to eat almost 50,000 calories above your maintenance calories). I would wait until most of the swelling has subsided before weighing again.

If you are sticking to your calorie goal, you won't gain, even if you don't exercise. The only thing I would recommend is make sure your MFP level is set to sedentary for the time being while you recover. Once you are up and moving again, you can readjust it to your correct setting (lightly active, active, etc.).
  • terriveller
    terriveller Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks, I forgot to change settings. I had planned on doing it but completely forgot.
  • terriveller
    Options
    Ty
  • orangpeel757
    orangpeel757 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happen to me after having surgery. It's fluid retention and it will go away. I think it took me a couple of weeks to get back to my pre-surgery weight. Just don't go crazy with the snacks as you recover and you'll be fine.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    My surgeon forgot to order they slow or discontinue my drip and the nurse didn't think to question it, so the morning after my surgery, when I was thinking semi-clearly, my body was so swollen. My skin was like pushed out. The surgeon showed up like a minute later and said he was going to stop the fluids. He laughed when I turned the thing off myself.

I'd gained I forget how much overnight with that. It didn't go down immediately because I couldn't poop for a while after all the surgery drugs, morphine and Vicodin. Very uncomfortable, but very common.

But two weeks later, I was lower than when I'd started. I ate nothing at all for 2-3 days and something pretty large was removed, so that may have done it.

No reason not to log it! You might see a bump up, but you'll point to that mark on the squiggle line later and say, "That's when I had the X surgery." :)

I like recording all the ups and downs. That's what makes each one unique. I'd bet that very few people go straight down.

But if you don't want to make it part of your permanent record, don't. Whatever you want - that's what's best. :)
  • evileen99
    evileen99 Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options
    You need to wait at least two weeks before weighing yourself.

I had a six pound fibroid removed and weighed four pounds more post op than pre op. That was 10 pounds of water weight, and it took about 3 weeks to all go away.
  • terriveller
    Options
    Thanks to all for the input. Just impatient to lose the water weight and the edema but I know it will drop.