diet coke alternatives

Hi all you wonderful MFP people. I want to find alternatives to diet soft drinks that actually taste good and are not has bad for you as diet pop is.

Replies

• Garthamatic
    Garthamatic Posts: 84 Member
    Cold water?
    Milk?
    Dr. Pepper 10?

Not sure where you're going here or what's wrong with Diet Coke...
  • newhealthykim
    newhealthykim Posts: 192 Member
    If you really want to stop drinking diet sodas (or any variation thereof), either start weening off of them or quit cold turkey. My summer trip to Paris, France last year had an added benefit of not having cheap regular access to diet sodas. After a week over there, I came back to the states and couldn't drink the stuff. It tasted awful. I switched to regular soda and that added on extra calories. I started weening myself off of them by drinking tea, crystal light, powerade zero, chocolate milk, etc. I would force myself to drink no more than a 20 oz.of soda. After that I had to pick something else. Eventually I didn't like the calories even those drinks added. I pulled out a water bottle I had with a straw, and I was amazed at how much more I was drinking. It's the taste of water I don't like, but my body needs it. A straw bypasses some of my tastebuds and helps me to drink more. I know that may sound crazy, but I can typically drink 3-4 more cups a day of water just by using a straw. Now I'm down to 8-12 oz of soda every 2-3 days. Eventually, I'm hoping to get off of it completely. I've already stopped buying them for myself at the store. I have plenty to last me till I get to the end.
  • sashafischang
    sashafischang Posts: 38 Member
    I have been drinking natural flavored carbonated water such as Dasani or La Croix sparkling water. They are delicious and something with flavor for when I crave it. Also, they are all natural and don't have any artificial sweeteners or calories.
  • TamGlo
    TamGlo Posts: 2 Member
    I love plain selter / sparkling water* with a few drops of flavored stevia. It comes in all flavors but try the cola or root beer. 5 drops in a glass should give flavor and sweetness without a glycemic load. I bought them at sprouts, but they're also on amazon.

*don't use club soda because it has added sodium in it that you may not want.
  • Wilbur_NOLA
    Wilbur_NOLA Posts: 120 Member
    MIO in a bottle of water
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Berry teas might be an alternative. The Lipton cold brew is great. They have all sorts of flavors (not all in cold brew), but they have a hint of berry flavors and then you can add a smidge of either sugar or artificial sweetener. The benefit is that you control how much stuff you put into it.
  • lasistin
    lasistin Posts: 2 Member
    I like Zip Fizz (fruit punch flavor). I still struggle with my craviings for a morning 44 oz regular pepsi but I add a tube of zip fiz to my 24oz water and it seems to be helping me.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Hi all you wonderful MFP people. I want to find alternatives to diet soft drinks that actually taste good and are not has bad for you as diet pop is.

What's wrong with a diet soda once in awhile?

If you're drinking lots of soda.....don't trade that habit for fake sugar plus water (Mio, Crystal Light, etc). You're still going to have the habit of something sweet all the time. Instead, try drinking more water (if you don't already). You can bump up the flavor with mashed fruit, add ginger slices or cucumber or mint. Keep your water refrigerated, and cut back on the flavorings after awhile.

One diet soda everyday replaces a "snack" for me. Because it's only ONE diet soda, I make it last. All things in moderation.
  • mygnsac
    mygnsac Posts: 13,413 Member
    Cold water (plain or infused with fruits), teas (iced, hot, herbal, green, black, ginger/turmeric, etc), milk (cow and nut) are my main beverages. I made myself step away from the daily sodas a couple years ago (diet A&W root beer was my fav). I like the Mama Chia drinks and Neuro Bliss (white raspberry, lightly carbonated) and Sleep (tangarine, non-carbonated) drinks, but I just sip on them throughout the week. A bottle of those will usually last me the whole week, if not longer.
  • bugaboo_sue
    bugaboo_sue Posts: 552 Member
    Flavored seltzer water.

I am not a fan of soda at all. The regular stuff is too sweet the diet stuff is too fake but I do like bubbles in my drink ever now and then so I do seltzer.

I've tried the Mio stuff and the other "flavors" for regular water and it was way too fake tasting for my liking. If I want flavor to regular water I throw in some True Lemon which is just dehydrated lemon.
  • conniehgtv
    conniehgtv Posts: 309 Member
    I was addicited to Diet Pepsi, am currently down to less than 12oz a day. I put 4 oz of water in a bottle with lemon,lime or orange slices. WhenI am ready to drink I add water. Th water stays cold and the frozen fruit seems to release miore flavor. Don't know if this would work for you,but it did for me.It is 3:36 pm and I have an unopened 12 can of Dp in my lunch sack.Good luck.
  • leahraskie
    leahraskie Posts: 260 Member
    If you're looking for alternatives you better read the bottles of everything. Most contain at least some type of artificial sweetener, which I assume is what you're trying to get away from. Food also contains them so you'll have to watch like a hawk if you want to cut it.

Teas and water are your best bet. Be careful with tea though, they have a lot of sugar that you wouldn't think was in it. Drink add-ins like mio and crystal light, unless otherwise specified on certain types, all have artificial sweeteners added to reduce calories.

Artificial sweeteners to look for: sucralose, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, saccharin are the most common.
  • 1911JR
    1911JR Posts: 276

Water
  • sherambler
    sherambler Posts: 303 Member
    Berry teas might be an alternative. The Lipton cold brew is great.

I agree. I love the cold brews. I also drink a lot of seltzer. I didn't love it at first, but now I prefer it to any soda (diet or regular). Plus, they're always coming out with new flavors so there's a lot of variety. Though I'm trying to cut back on the carbonated beverages because someone told me it can make your bones porous.
  • lstpaul
    lstpaul Posts: 2,013 Member
    I drink 1 mug of green tea every morning (for summer I've been drinking iced green mango - yum) for the caffeine (but started with black tea when I first quit diet pepsi), and then I have a bubbly flavored water like H2O at my desk - because I miss the bubbles in diet pepsi.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Diet Pepsi

You're welcome
  • KelGen02
    KelGen02 Posts: 668 Member
    Hi my name is Kelly and I am a former Diet Coke Addict... I drank over two 2 liter bottles of DC each and every day. I don't like regular soda, don't like the taste of it, nor do I like any other diet soda. I was a DC girl all the way. Obviously with all the recent studies of all the chemicals they put in these artificial sweeteners I decided it was time to stop killing myself so I quit cold turkey. It was hell and I now have a new appreciation for why drug addicts can't kick the habit. I literally went through the shakes, headaches, mood swings the whole nine of detoxing. It took about a week and 1/2 for the headache to go away and I finally began to feel human again. I drink a ton of water now, but do miss the fizz so I drink seltzer water. I find adding a splash of 100% cranberry juice makes it delish as well as cutting up fruit and putting it into a pitcher of water over night then drinking it the next day. I have fallen off the wagon a couple times and each time I did the DC tasted disgusting to me so it just made it that much easier to just let it go. I don't drink coffee, but i do drink herbal teas with lemon or raw honey in it.

I know people say everything in moderation is fine, but for me the chemicals that they put in the DC is just not worth it, after seeing what my body went through giving it up i can only imagine what it was doing to my body/brain all those years of drinking it. so I'll stick to my beer in moderation and let the DC be a distant memory... LOL

Good luck to you!! :drinker:
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Tea is usually zero cals, and there's a huge variety of flavors, and many of them are good cold without being sweetened, especially when you get into herbal tisaines in addition to true teas. I purchased an electric kettle for work, and now I just drink tea all day and maybe have a soda with my meal.
  • DownsizingAaron
    DownsizingAaron Posts: 127 Member
    Crystal Light. Not Diet Coke flavored at all, but lots of good flavors that are satisfying. I add more water than the instructions provide, which means a little lighter flavor and it goes further that way.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Might I recommend a
    11-1-2011-Miller64-12ozBottleHeroLR.jpg?1320181117