Clean Eating -- What's That?

Options
Because so many folks have asked, here's the quick and dirty on eating "Clean."

"Clean eating" is a term most commonly referring to a diet that emphasizes whole, unprocessed foods and is low in saturated fat, added sugar, sodium, preservatives, artificial colors and artificial flavors. Foods included in clean eating are typically high in nutrients and fiber and are often (but not necessarily) organically grown and prepared. Many people are interested in clean eating for its health benefits, which include successful weight control and lowered risk of high cholesterol, heart disease, heart attack, stroke, high blood pressure, type 2 diabetes, cancer and other chronic diseases. Clean eating is healthy at any age. Its main ideas are simply basic nutrition guidelines that promote optimal physical health.

Step 1: Eat plenty of fruit and vegetables. A major tenet of eating clean is a focus on plant-based foods, which the American Cancer Society recommends. Fruit and vegetables are low-fat, low-calorie, high-fiber and packed with valuable vitamins, minerals and antioxidants that fight disease and keep your immunity strong.

Step 2: Choose whole grains instead of processed and refined grains. Whole grains provide fiber, protein and nutrients. Their unprocessed make-up means they are slow to digest and provide sustained energy rather than the extreme blood sugar spikes that often follow the ingestion of refined foods. A clean-eating diet includes plenty of whole-wheat bread, whole-grain pasta, brown rice, bulgur, quinoa and barley. Clean eaters are not afraid of healthy complex carbs, they embrace them.

Step 3: Eat lean sources of protein, advises the Mayo Clinic. Some clean-eating diets are partly or completely vegetarian, but not all of them are. Clean eating emphasizes plant-based protein sources such as beans, legumes nuts and soy. These proteins are much lower in saturated fat and cholesterol, and higher in fiber and certain vitamins and minerals, than meat. They also generally avoid the preservatives, added hormones or antibiotics and other additives people often find worrisome about store-bought animal products. Clean eaters do generally eat meat but choose to eat less of it and pick leaner cuts of meat, low-fat poultry and fish.

Step 4: Refrain from processed snack foods and sugary drinks. Eating clean means avoiding, as much as possible, low-nutrient foods such as chips, candy, pastries and soda. Instead, choose whole-food snacks such as raw veggies with hummus or un-buttered popcorn. To drink, opt for water and skim or soy milk rather than sugar-filled juices, sodas or blended coffee drinks. These choices keep you healthy at any age.

Hope that helps!

Replies

• rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Thanks for that! I have seen clean eating mentioned quite a bit and wasn't sure what it is. I am doing most of those things, which is reassuring.
  • zer0vital
    Options
    I'm doing pretty well on calories and fat, but horrible on sodium and I know it's the result of not eating clean. I'm trying to do better in small steps rather than adopt a new way of life I am completely unfamiliar with - this post will be on the back of my mind as I start making better decisions in the future. I bought a green smoothie app that contains lots of recipes for smoothies with vegetables (and most don't use yogurt). Going to start giving those a try tonight.
  • mrniceguy84
    mrniceguy84 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I will be printing this and going back to it til it sticks moreso. i am doing well by the looks of it...I would like to replace my meat intake with beans and soy...my question about the fruit is one i am a diabetic and two I notice when i eat alot of fruits, my sugar numbers are really high...so is vitamin c...im not fearful of vitamin c but what can i do to lower the sugar and still get fruits in???
  • TrainerRobin
    TrainerRobin Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info. I will be printing this and going back to it til it sticks moreso. i am doing well by the looks of it...I would like to replace my meat intake with beans and soy...my question about the fruit is one i am a diabetic and two I notice when i eat alot of fruits, my sugar numbers are really high...so is vitamin c...im not fearful of vitamin c but what can i do to lower the sugar and still get fruits in???

The best thing for you to do is to contact your doctor for specific advice.

Generally speaking (and this may not suit your individual situation, so check with your doctor) Diabetics' dietary approach can be challenging, and some diabetics worry they may not be able to enjoy certain foods, such as fruit. Fortunately, there are fruits which are lower in sugar, and generally safe for diabetics to consume in moderation.

Melons. Some melons, including cantaloupe and honeydew, are fairly low in sugar. Cantaloupe, for example contains 22 g of carbohydrates (sugar) per cup, and honeydew is just 12 g per cup. Try mixing these together in a fruit salad with oranges and strawberries for a low-sugar snack. Avoid watermelon, which is the highest, at 35 g of carbohydrates per cup.

Berries: Strawberries, raspberries and blueberries are all lower in sugar than other fruits. Blueberries contain 20 g of carbohydrates per cup, raspberries 14 g per cup, and strawberries contain just 10 g per cup. They are best eaten fresh, or added to cereals, yogurt or cream.

Citrus fruits, such as oranges, tangerines and grapefruit, are exceptionally low in sugar. Grapefruit, for example, only has 10 g of carbohydrates in one half. Oranges and tangerines only have about 15 g per fruit. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, these are the best choices for diabetics.

Peaches, pears and apples are also relatively low in sugar. Apples contain the most at 16 g of carbohydrates per fruit. But, both peaches and pears are only 10 g per fruit. Plums are even fairly low at 9 g for one plum. They each make an ideal quick low-sugar snack.

Fruits to Avoid. Unfortunately, there are some fruits which are just naturally high in sugar and should be limited or avoided as much as possible. These include prunes (31 g), bananas (35 g), and most tropical fruits (such as mangoes at 35 g and plantains at 51 g). Also, its often a good idea for diabetics to opt for fresh fruit over canned fruit or fruit juices which often contain added sugar. For example, one peach has about 10 g of carbohydrates, while 1/2 a cup of canned peaches contain about 51 g. An orange has 15 g of sugar, but a cup of orange juice has as much as 81 g. Learn to read the food labels. When purchasing juice or canned fruit, look for products labeled "no sugar added."

Mostly importantly, check with your doctor to see what his/her advice is. Your doctor may recommend combining certain foods to hold down their impact on your blood sugar. Always, it's best to get professional advice.
  • somigliana
    somigliana Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Thank you, Robin; that's a great summary.

Switching to "cleaner" eating and moderate exercise has wonderful benefits: my husband now controls his type 2 diabetes very well without meds, and I feel like a new person since changing lifestyles, too :)