calorie calculations?

Options
:huh: does anyone know how to calculate calories burned during an activity like Zumba? If you've never taken it think....cardio kickboxing with salsa attitude. I'm interested to know because it's kicked my butt and I KNOW it was a bigger calorie burn than running 2 miles.

Replies

• TennVolsGal
    TennVolsGal Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Put it in as dancing....then I usually subtract about 50-75 calories to give myself wiggle room.
  • SarahBC
    SarahBC Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I totally agree.. I teach Zumba and have a few people in my class wearing heart monitors, their calorie intake ranged from400-800 calories within the hour...
    Zumba keeps you in your fat burning stage while using interval training with one fast song then one slow ... so it is really quiet affective... I cant state exactly what your own intake would be but if it helps that it ranges within 400-800 help???

Maybe even get a heart rate monitor they are great
  • sherrievil
    Options
    Only way to get an accurate calculation is a HRM! But on average it burns between 500-1000 calories per hour. My first time doing Zumba I burnt 500 calories, so you definitely can burn quite a bit in a Zumba Class depending on your ability to keep up with your instructor! Hope that helps a bit :))
  • jane77
    jane77 Posts: 489
    Options
    calories on a work out are head to judge. if you can get a heart monitor. if not ask someone in the class what their monitor is reading than ask did you work as hard as them and do you weight the same as them just because your out of breath doesnt mean your heart rate is up when i do a abb outwork it kills me and im groaning and moaning and its hard to breath but my heart rate rarly is in the zone
  • mscross32
    Options
    sarah -

is there a target heart rate to shoot for when zumbaing?
    (yes, I made up the word zumbaing)
  • mscross32
    Options
    ok sherri, i'm off to ebay land to see how much hrm's are going for ?

shouldn't they sell these in like ****s' sporting goods or something?
    :tongue:
  • jcsalsa
    jcsalsa Posts: 25
    Options
    I have one but I don't ever use it. I think i better start. I also want to get the Body Media (Body Bug) sounds like it will let me know everything.
  • mscross32
    Options
    well, went to ebay

got the hrm (check)
    its gonna take forever to get here...shipping from (**&!%$#) HONG KONG....

WELL IT WAS ONLY $10 I HOPE IT WORKS.

I'LL keep yall posted. :D
  • jcsalsa
    Options
    Does anyone know how to enter in Shoveling snow as an exercise? I can find it in the database but it won't let me add it to my exercise. Help please.
  • Dobsaya
    Dobsaya Posts: 235
    Options
    I added shoveling snow to my database where it says add an exercise to the database. I too couldn't pass up those 450 calories burned in an hour of shoveling.
  • jcsalsa
    Options
    I tried that and it said that it already exists so it wouldn't let me. I will keep trying.