diabetic

Options
I work in a crisis home and we currently have a client that is diabetic. I feel like we are giving him the same foods over and over. I like to cook and have no problems making foods that we can freeze that are healthier then frozen foods. Any ideas?

Replies

• BringingSherriBack
    BringingSherriBack Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    He should be able to eat the foods everyone else is eating just not the sweets and sweet desserts. Diabetics require meat, dairy, vegetables, fruit and grains just like everyone else.

My BF is diabetic and he eats pretty much eveything everyone else in our household eats except he has to stay away from the sweets and watches not to eat too many starches. He controls his with metformin and diet. No insulin needed at this point although he has been on insulin in the past when his weight was up.

Best advice is all thing in moderation. Meat and veggie based meals are best with starches as a side not the main dish.
  • ratherbeskiing
    ratherbeskiing Posts: 847 Member
    Options
    so what are some of his favorite meals? we are trying to do with food and meds (but we are a crisis unit we are not long term care) a lot of us have no idea about diabetic foods and so we are cooking a lot of chicken, burgers and eggs. I am sure he is going to get sick of that eventually. The doc wants him on 60 carbs a meal and 20 for 2 snacks a day. He is also very sneaky and tries to sneak food, which we are hiding.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Why don't you look at a diabetic support site. We have at least one here in the UK, I expect other countries will have them. You should find the GI index which will set out the foods of greatest issue. I can't remember if they have recipes as well but the information they hold with permit you to amend recipes you already know.

May I just say, this person you are helping to support is a very fortunate person because you are prepared to take more of an interest than the average person. I congratulate you. Thank you on his behalf I hope he comes to appreciate all the consideration you are giving him..

Spelling!
  • GlucernaBrand
    Options
    You could check with your local hospital or diabetes education program for information and suggestions for meal planning. The American Diabetes Association also is a good resource at www.diabetes.org ~Lynn /Glucerna
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    so what are some of his favorite meals? we are trying to do with food and meds (but we are a crisis unit we are not long term care) a lot of us have no idea about diabetic foods and so we are cooking a lot of chicken, burgers and eggs. I am sure he is going to get sick of that eventually. The doc wants him on 60 carbs a meal and 20 for 2 snacks a day. He is also very sneaky and tries to sneak food, which we are hiding.

He can eat chicken, burgers, eggs, bacon, sausage, fats, oils, leafy vegetables, other vegetables.
    Limit fruit to only once a day.
    Get rid of rolls, bread, rice, noodles, potatoes.
  • tosharenee7
    tosharenee7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm a registered dietitian and a certified diabetes educator. There's really no such thing as diabetic food. You know how many carbs he needs per meal. So just let him decide what he wants to eat and adjust his portions so he gets the correct amount of carbs. Diabetics can eat anything as long as they have the correct amount of carbs per meal. It just may not be the portion size they want, lol. Of course, they should limit unhealthy foods just like everyone else, but those foods can be worked in occasionally.