I'm hungry. Bt that's ok.

Options
I am feeling hungry by 9 or 10pm each night. I am relearning that this is not a time to panic, and feed my face, but to make sure I have had adequate fuel through the day by checking my diary, realising I have, and then drinking some water / cup of tea.

Its a weird feeling being hungry when you're not used to it; this thought also makes me feel extremely guilty, there are people starving even here in the UK due to poverty.

How do you view the feeling of hunger? Do you enjoy it in a perverse way, as it shows your eating habits have changed, do you revel in it, do you just about cope with it, or does it make you panic??

Interested to hear other peoples views...

Replies

• CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Why let yourself be hungry. Plan ahead for a snack in the evening. There is no need to ever be hungry.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    To me, hunger is just another feeling. I never let it get in the way of my goals. That being said, unless I have been dieting for a prolonged period of time, I rarely get truly hungry. There are many things you can do to keep hunger at a minimum. Eating high volume low calorie food is the best way for me to stay full. Part of the problem many people have is confusing things that are not hunger for hunger. Boredom and dehydration can both be mistaken for hunger. If you are legitimately hungry all the time, you probably aren't eating the right food, your calories are too low, or both.
  • opalsqueak007
    opalsqueak007 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    Hi there.
    I have a physical job, and even so, I have had to get down to 1200 calories per day to see any weight loss. I am always hungry now, but that's not surprising, as I ate whatever I wanted before I started this journey. I have found the best way for me is to have a lot of small meals. I eat loads of fresh food now and feel better. I think I am getting used to feeling physically hungry. I think part of it is I have ditched refined white carbs, which I ate all the time before - I crave it, but it made me fat.
  • vismal
    Options
    Why let yourself be hungry. Plan ahead for a snack in the evening. There is no need to ever be hungry.
    That statement isn't entirely true. People experience hunger very differently. Some people have much bigger appetites then others. For some people, especially those with extreme goals, hunger may very well occur from time to time.
  • lizchic82
    lizchic82 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    'There is no need ever to be hungry'....I think that's part of the problem, to me and my mind set anyway - that its never ok to be hungry.

Actually I think its ok to get a bit peckish now and again, and NOT feed it. Its not crazy oh my god my stomach is growling and acid is going on, just a teeny feeling I would normally associate with being uncomfortable - arghh... quick, I'm gonna die, eat something!!! Where-as actually, it's not that uncomfortable, I am not gonna die, I just need to clean my teeth and go to bed...?!
  • vismal
    Options
    I would go so far as to say you never need to be undernourished. But again, hunger is a very personal thing and some people are going to be hungry from time to time even if they do everything right.
  • endermako
    endermako Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm hungry. I just find foods that are nutrient dense and very filling.
  • lizchic82
    Options
    I would go so far as to say you never need to be undernourished. But again, hunger is a very personal thing and some people are going to be hungry from time to time even if they do everything right.

I agree with your statement. I think part of the problem with society has something to do with the fact that we are so terrified of being hungry...for me anyway, I have always felt hunger, and thought 'its not an acceptable thing, so quick...must eat more!!'

I only finished my dinner 2hrs ago, so I am not in need of any more food, nor do I have enough calories to be snacking all the time, especially this late at night.
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    For a long time my brain and my eyes told me I was hungry when really my body was not. It's still a work in progress learning to differentiate between what is actual hunger and what is years of compulsive over eating and cravings trying to trick me.
  • megginanderson
    megginanderson Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    When you think about it, you should really make sure that your eating something light before bed, because your basically not eating for like 8 hours right?
    Personally, I am strength training and doing HIIT workouts a few times a week so I am eating 6 small meals a day. My last is usually Cottage Cheese and fruit around 10-11pm.
    But the previous comment is correct, you should not be hungry, so you may need to re-evaluate the quality of the calories your eating. Protein will keep you fuller longer.
    hope that helps.
  • lizchic82
    Options
    When you think about it, you should really make sure that your eating something light before bed, because your basically not eating for like 8 hours right?
    Personally, I am strength training and doing HIIT workouts a few times a week so I am eating 6 small meals a day. My last is usually Cottage Cheese and fruit around 10-11pm.
    But the previous comment is correct, you should not be hungry, so you may need to re-evaluate the quality of the calories your eating. Protein will keep you fuller longer.
    hope that helps.

My protein quoto is very high, so is my fats, so is my fibre. Thanks anyway, but I think you're missing my point. I also think that not eating for 8 hours or more is fine, seeing as I do intermittent fasting, this is really not an issue.
  • lizchic82
    Options
    For a long time my brain and my eyes told me I was hungry when really my body was not. It's still a work in progress learning to differentiate between what is actual hunger and what is years of compulsive over eating and cravings trying to trick me.

This. Thank you... you understand what I am trying to say. Obviously I am not eloquent enough to get my point across...
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    hope that helps.

My protein quoto is very high, so is my fats, so is my fibre. Thanks anyway, but I think you're missing my point. I also think that not eating for 8 hours or more is fine, seeing as I do intermittent fasting, this is really not an issue.

You specifically asked for people's views in your OP. You're getting them. I don't think she's missing the point here.
    Why so defensive?
  • RWilliams_Fit
    RWilliams_Fit Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Hunger usually is a human instinct... and means your body is hungry. Although yes it can be sneaky and make you feel you are hungry when just bored but i dont think it is something you should feel bad about. It is a normal thing and can be cured in many ways that wont hurt our health.

good luck with your journey
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options

I agree with your statement. I think part of the problem with society has something to do with the fact that we are so terrified of being hungry...for me anyway, I have always felt hunger, and thought 'its not an acceptable thing, so quick...must eat more!!'

I only finished my dinner 2hrs ago, so I am not in need of any more food, nor do I have enough calories to be snacking all the time, especially this late at night.
    I agree, people fear hunger like it's the plague. If you look at society from say 40 years ago, there were no bars or shakes or energy shots or Starbucks, a few drive-thrus, no one carried Big Gulps or even water bottles around. People didn't eat in cars and in business meetings. The snack aisle was a fraction of what it is now. The beverage aisle, too. People generally ate three times a day and that's it. Maybe a snack between meals but one, not one every hour.

From what I've read it's healthier to go to sleep on an emptier stomach. Your body is supposed to be resting those hours, not digesting.

Being able to tell what is real hunger helps. For most, it's not an on/off thing, it's more of a degree thing. If it's bedtime and I'm really hungry, like below 3 on a 1-10 satiety scale, I'll eat. Otherwise I'll go to bed. Usually I'm not physically hungry, I'm tired or just wanting more of something treat-like because I know I've got a deficit going and might feel like I 'deserve' it. :tongue:
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options

There's nothing wrong with being hungry now and again...we won't wither away.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I've been "I'm too broke to afford food" hungry. It sucks. When I'm hungry, I eat. The only time I don't eat is for a medical fast, which sucks more than being broke hungry.

If you can deal with or even prefer being hungry, then do it. I don't so I don't.
  • lizchic82
    Options

There's nothing wrong with being hungry now and again...we won't wither away.

• redversustheblue
    redversustheblue Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options

So much this. I definitely get "hungry" when I'm bored and it's a battle to recognize real hunger from just wanting something to do or eat because it's there.
  • lizchic82
    Options

I agree, people fear hunger like it's the plague. If you look at society from say 40 years ago, there were no bars or shakes or energy shots or Starbucks, a few drive-thrus, no one carried Big Gulps or even water bottles around. People didn't eat in cars and in business meetings. The snack aisle was a fraction of what it is now. The beverage aisle, too. People generally ate three times a day and that's it. Maybe a snack between meals but one, not one every hour.

From what I've read it's healthier to go to sleep on an emptier stomach. Your body is supposed to be resting those hours, not digesting.

Being able to tell what is real hunger helps. For most, it's not an on/off thing, it's more of a degree thing. If it's bedtime and I'm really hungry, like below 3 on a 1-10 satiety scale, I'll eat. Otherwise I'll go to bed. Usually I'm not physically hungry, I'm tired or just wanting more of something treat-like because I know I've got a deficit going and might feel like I 'deserve' it. :tongue:

Thankyou, again, saying more eloquently what I am trying to put across!!