Shakes, bars, and pills

Options
i see a lot of diet drinks and pills in the shops, that help weight loss, I've just bought some of the maxi tone sculptress pills, and they say they help people who are struggling to burn fat. So thought I would try them for a week.

Now I know you fitness guys will yell that they are all rubbish, but do any of these shakes, drinks and pills work ?

I generally eat a healthy diet and exercise 30-40 mins a day, so would any of the shakes etc help boost weight loss or tone me, or are they all a waste of money ? And that includes protein shakes would they ever help boost

Replies

• Simonscat
    Simonscat Posts: 249
    Options
    I asked the same thing about "Slim Fast" last night.
    And the responses i got were mainly negative ones.
    So yeah, they are a waste of money. It's just companies trying to sell these things.
  • Debx12345
    Debx12345 Posts: 210
    Options
    I thought that on the slim fast, was thinking more on the ones that you eat normal healthy diet, but add some thing like a protein shake or a maxi tone to in a way help you burn more fat etc.
  • Audi68
    Audi68 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I have been there and done that with alot of those shakes, bars, and pills, and have yet to find any that really to work. I have had more success by logging my calories in and out and making sure there is a deficite at the end of the day.

I do still partake in the occasional protein shake, mostly in the summer time when hot food is not really what I want to eat. I mix a scoop of protein powder with some frozen fruit and some unsweetened almond milk, it makes a nice quick togo breakfast.
  • HealthyChanges2010
    HealthyChanges2010 Posts: 5,831 Member
    Options
    I thought that on the slim fast, was thinking more on the ones that you eat normal healthy diet, but add some thing like a protein shake or a maxi tone to in a way help you burn more fat etc.
    It'll likely work as well as the toning shorts and T's that have recently come out:tongue: If you wear them even without working out your body is toning and losing fat? Ah...so they say to make a buck!

They know there are desperate gullible souls out there and they know the words to toss out there to snag us and make big bucks on selling regular workout clothes that don't tone your body for you unless you wear them while working out doing the work yourself is what's causing the toning, not the clothes. :noway:

It's all hype Hon...how can a shake make you lose fat, it's the healthy way you eat and exercise time you put into your day that will help you tone up and lose body fat, not products, shoes, clothes, eye of newts, magic potions...nah... Stick to eating healthy and workout, if there's any magic involved that's what it is 'healthy choices'!!:flowerforyou:
  • jnchorn
    jnchorn Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    Hi there. I drink protein shakes everyday with skim milk. I think its a good way to get nutrition with less calories and fat. I drink Unjury products. They don't have stimulants or appetite suppresents and contain 20 grams of protein before adding milk. I wish you the best of luck!

Charity
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    When I"m in a high protein phase I find a protein shake to be easier that downing tons of chicken or a dozen eggs whites. Protein Bars, especially Clif Builder's Bars which have mostly organic ingredients help with my sweet tooth. Same calories as a Snickers bar but the Clif bar is a better choice, i hope.
  • Enigmatica
    Enigmatica Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I think trying to base a "diet" around them wouldn't be very healthy, but I use Fiber One and Zone Perfect bars pretty regularly because I like them and they keep me away from the candy.
  • pgp_protector
    Options
    Personally (For me, YMMV) Slimfast has helped me, in breaking the habits I had, I'm running in the morning and can't really cook for lunch at work, so both those meals used to be Fast food. So for almost 2 weeks now I haven't had fast food (Mc D, TB, BK,ect) for Breakfast or Lunch.

Now I know they're not a permanent solution, but they can help bridge over the transition period.
    I'm already starting to cut back on them for lunch use, but for breakfast one & a bottle of ice tea does get me going still.
  • JustVibeWithMe
    Options
    I have a hard time with breakfast in the morning so I have a cold glass of water when I first wake up (because they say it helps boost your metabolism from 5-10% and I believe that to be true.) Then a short while later I have a Carnation instant breakfast essentials drink. ( I use soy milk sometimes instead of skim milk and I add a touch of cinnamon to the vanilla flavored packs for a slightly different taste from time to time because I get bored easily). I haven't been working out because I have been so busy but buy eating 3 square meals a day (which includes the shake in the morning) and heather choice foods and snacking I have lost some.

Here is the link in case anyone is interested... I buy this in bulk at BJ's: http://www.carnationbreakfastessentials.com/Public/Default.aspx
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    The short answer is "NO". None of the drinks, shakes or pills will help burn fat. There's only one way to burn fat and that is to have a calorie deficit.

There is absolutely no scientific evidence that you'll burn more fat with any of these pills or supplements. And the anecdotal evidence is highly suspect.

There are some drinks and shakes that can help you along if you use them sensibly. Not to burn fat, but they can help you add protien to your diet and to control your calories. I often use a 100 calorie protien drink for my mid-morning snack. It's fast, easy and I don't have to worry about the calories because it's premeasured.