Need to get my motivation back!

Options
Okay so long story short, in December 2010 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at the age of 23. In March of 2011 I decided to change my lifestyle and lose the weight. My starting weight was 368.... my highest weight ever. I cut out sweets, fast food & regular pop (switched to diet) and started using MyFitnessPal. My calorie goal was set by MFP and I stuck to it religiously. The fat practically melted off and by September 2012 I had lost 107 pounds. I was down to 261. And it was SO easy. It was like some magic switch had been flipped and I no longer even wanted or craved the sweets or fast food and I had no problem staying within my calorie goal.

THEN I got pregnant with our 5th child and gained back about 40 during that pregnancy. When he was 4 months old I got pregnant with our 2nd set of twins and gained some more. Now they are 8 weeks old and here I sit at 333.

I've been logging on MFP again but I'm really not doing too great with my eating. I've been eating junk and sweets again and I can't seem to stop! But I'm adjusting my calorie goal and I'm going to try my hardest to stick to 1800 calories from here on out. I've GOT TO get this weight off. I want to see it coming off again and feel good about myself!

It's just frustrating that it was so easy for me back then but now it seems so hard. Like I've lost my motivation and I can't seem to get it back.

Replies

• kncapitano
    Options
    Okay so long story short, in December 2010 I was diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes at the age of 23. In March of 2011 I decided to change my lifestyle and lose the weight. My starting weight was 368.... my highest weight ever. I cut out sweets, fast food & regular pop (switched to diet) and started using MyFitnessPal. My calorie goal was set by MFP and I stuck to it religiously. The fat practically melted off and by September 2012 I had lost 107 pounds. I was down to 261. And it was SO easy. It was like some magic switch had been flipped and I no longer even wanted or craved the sweets or fast food and I had no problem staying within my calorie goal.

THEN I got pregnant with our 5th child and gained back about 40 during that pregnancy. When he was 4 months old I got pregnant with our 2nd set of twins and gained some more. Now they are 8 weeks old and here I sit at 333.

I've been logging on MFP again but I'm really not doing too great with my eating. I've been eating junk and sweets again and I can't seem to stop! But I'm adjusting my calorie goal and I'm going to try my hardest to stick to 1800 calories from here on out. I've GOT TO get this weight off. I want to see it coming off again and feel good about myself!

It's just frustrating that it was so easy for me back then but now it seems so hard. Like I've lost my motivation and I can't seem to get it back.

First off... Congrats on your first initial weight loss. That is a GREAT accomplishment to lose over 100 lbs. So Kudos to you!

Second- Unfortunately, as the years go by our bodies change. We start to lose muscle mass and it becomes easier to store fat. However, just like you did before... you CAN lose the weight, it might just be a little more stubborn that last time. (Fat likes to be stubborn, but you can beat it. :smile:

My advice for you is to think deeper about your upcoming weight loss journey. Yes... you want to lose weight. But WHY? It is important to have real meaning behind any health/fitness goal. For some people, "Looking better in my clothes" might be all it takes to get someone motivated. But deeper meanings can help create more passion towards reaching your goals. You have children.. maybe one reason is to lose weight to set a good role for your kids? Or maybe so you can run around and play with them for long periods or time? or??? (Those are just some examples, not ones you should/need to have). Also you mentioned type 2 Diabetes. Another goal could deal with that. Maybe you have always wanted to try running in a 5k... that could be a goal.

This is going to sound cheesey, but I would really think about all GOALS you have (in fitness and nutrition), and then write them on a poster board and keep it somewhere you know you will see it.... then decorate it (Still cheesy, but it can help) Maybe if you paste a photo of your family on there it could keep you motivated? Under the Goals... try and provide a reason WHY you made that goal in the first place. I would also start with small goals. Since you lost over 100 lbs, you may say you want to do that again. It usually helps to make small goals and then add to them as you reach them. It won't seem like such a long milestone Baby steps can lead to great depths. :)

Also, think back to how amazing you felt when you lost the weight. Concentrate on feeling GOOD again rather than focus on a number the scale says. Didnt you hear? Scales are jerks :wink: :laugh:

If you focus on a healthy lifestyle and feeling GOOD about yourself... you will probably find yourself making healthier options and creating a lifestyle change. You can do it!!!! Have faith in yourself. :heart:
  • JenMarie8781
    JenMarie8781 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the great suggestions :D

First off... Congrats on your first initial weight loss. That is a GREAT accomplishment to lose over 100 lbs. So Kudos to you!

Second- Unfortunately, as the years go by our bodies change. We start to lose muscle mass and it becomes easier to store fat. However, just like you did before... you CAN lose the weight, it might just be a little more stubborn that last time. (Fat likes to be stubborn, but you can beat it. :smile:

My advice for you is to think deeper about your upcoming weight loss journey. Yes... you want to lose weight. But WHY? It is important to have real meaning behind any health/fitness goal. For some people, "Looking better in my clothes" might be all it takes to get someone motivated. But deeper meanings can help create more passion towards reaching your goals. You have children.. maybe one reason is to lose weight to set a good role for your kids? Or maybe so you can run around and play with them for long periods or time? or??? (Those are just some examples, not ones you should/need to have). Also you mentioned type 2 Diabetes. Another goal could deal with that. Maybe you have always wanted to try running in a 5k... that could be a goal.

This is going to sound cheesey, but I would really think about all GOALS you have (in fitness and nutrition), and then write them on a poster board and keep it somewhere you know you will see it.... then decorate it (Still cheesy, but it can help) Maybe if you paste a photo of your family on there it could keep you motivated? Under the Goals... try and provide a reason WHY you made that goal in the first place. I would also start with small goals. Since you lost over 100 lbs, you may say you want to do that again. It usually helps to make small goals and then add to them as you reach them. It won't seem like such a long milestone Baby steps can lead to great depths. :)

Also, think back to how amazing you felt when you lost the weight. Concentrate on feeling GOOD again rather than focus on a number the scale says. Didnt you hear? Scales are jerks :wink: :laugh:

If you focus on a healthy lifestyle and feeling GOOD about yourself... you will probably find yourself making healthier options and creating a lifestyle change. You can do it!!!! Have faith in yourself. :heart: