Dear fluctuation .. You suck!

Options
Can someone elaborate on weight fluctuation... Do you go with the least weight you are or...? And also opinion .. What's a better work out .. 30 min treadmill with some arms and lunges and squats..or a 15-20 min abs, thigh, butt routine .. Or better to alternate?

Replies

• BombshellPhoenix
    BombshellPhoenix Posts: 1,693 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations do suck. Everything from water retention, sodium, lack of bowel movement, TOM, stress, etc can effect the scale. From morning to night it's common to gain up to 5 lbs. It's normal and frustrating. You're looking for an average over several weeks, as weight can go up and down 3-4 lbs from one day to the next, etc. You're looking for that magical downward trend.

It's why I like looking at how things are fitting, measurements, and mirror over what the scale has to say ;)

As far as exercise, weightlifting. Heavy. ;) but I'm not a huge cardio person outside of walking
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Here's a way to deal with fluctuations. Weigh yourself every single day at the same time (usually first thing when you wake up after you pee). After a week goes by average you 7 daily weights. After a month goes by, compare your averages. You should see a downward trend. Once you have several weeks worth of averages, the day to day fluctuations become much less significant.
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    I'll have to start doing that.. And stop weighing myself like 5 times a day... I can't help it and I know that it can go up depending on what I eat and drink and bodily functions and girly time, I just cannot stay away from the scale! And if I throw it out ill drive myself insane wondering if I gained. You think after loosing a large amount of weight I would feel at ease but now I'm even more paranoid.
  • michikade
    michikade Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I only weigh myself right after I wake up and go to the bathroom in the morning, before I've taken a shower (I always feel like the water in my hair is gonna weigh me down by like 10 lbs, as unrealistic as that is). I used to weigh myself in the evenings but with water retention and bodyweight fluctuations I'd get irritated.
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    Lol on the 10lb water weight in your hair after a shower .. I sooooo think the same thing!!! I just have to stop weighing myself then and then after lunch and then after I pee at some point in the afternoon and then after supper and then before bed. I can't wait to be completely content with myself in about another 30 lbs down!
  • Julibug86
    Julibug86 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was also obsessively weighing myself. Decided to move the scale into my spare bedroom that I rarely enter. We will see if this helps!
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    Hmmm I may try that as well .. I never go in the spare room but the bathroom I'm in often and the scale is right in front of the door .. Very hard to pass by without hoping on, especially with the obsession.
  • marissanik
    marissanik Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself every day at around the same time. The lowest number is the number I input. I don't input an increase in weight unless the scale has stayed the same for a week or two. Hope that helps!
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    Weighing multiple times a day is completely useless. Think of it this way, if you step on a scale and someone hands you 16 ounces of water what do you think will happen? What if they hand you a lb of broccoli?
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    I know I know .. It's like the worst habit to have. Ok I will not weigh myself for one week. And see what happens .. This will be harder then watching calories lol
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some scales are evil and out to get you. They go up and down for no good reason. They throw in a low number just to make you crazier when they go back up. They do it on purpose. If they were building-sized, they'd take over the world and case so much misery.

But they're small and their powers are limited. They can only throw you off so much.

Follow the trends. :)
  • sarahclarke122
    Options
    I agree! :)