Is it possible to be overweight and not have enought to eat?

Options
There was a recent article in a magazine about people who are going hungry, and can hardly feed their children. Almost every single picture had overweight or obese people in it. The article went on to say that these people are fat because although they don't have enough to eat, what they do have to eat is junk food, and junk food makes them fat. If it's just calories in vs. calories out, how is this possible. (not bashing people who don't have enough to eat, just found it odd)

Replies

• 6ftamazon
    6ftamazon Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Because junk food is highly caloric. They're getting enough calories, just not enough nutrients. It's very possible to be malnourished on a caloric surplus. It's two different things.
  • Mammawto9
    Mammawto9 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely true. If too many calories are cut out and don't feed the body the right nutrients or enough it will go into a starvation mode and store fat. Plus...for ME it's hard because the right foods are much more expensive than the bad foods. .. when I went to my Dr. He made it easy to understand...Example. .it may take 3500 calories a day to sustain my 270 lbs...so if I take in 1500 calories and my body us burning up a day you lose weight. And like you both said junk food is empty calories and way way heavy in fat. So 400 calorie cookie is way different on our body than 400 calories of fresh veggies fruit & proteins
  • moodyfeesh14
    moodyfeesh14 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Not having enough to eat puts the body into starvation mode which makes the body hoard every calorie it intakes which leads to increased fat stores beacuse it is biologically prepping itself for your decreased/inadequate calorie intake leading to obesity
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Under nourished and overfed. So easy to do when you live on cheap instant mac and cheese, raman noodles, Bar-S hotdogs and Little Debbie snack cakes.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    They have enough calories, and then some.

Just not nutrition.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely true. If too many calories are cut out and don't feed the body the right nutrients or enough it will go into a starvation mode and store fatPlus...for ME it's hard because the right foods are much more expensive than the bad foods. .. when I went to my Dr. He made it easy to understand...Example. .it may take 3500 calories a day to sustain my 270 lbs...so if I take in 1500 calories and my body us burning up a day you lose weight. And like you both said junk food is empty calories and way way heavy in fat. So 400 calorie cookie is way different on our body than 400 calories of fresh veggies fruit & proteins
    So all those starving kids in Africa are obese and storing fat because they are not getting enough calories. That makes a heck of a lot of sense /sarcasm
  • LazSommer
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely true. If too many calories are cut out and don't feed the body the right nutrients or enough it will go into a starvation mode and store fatPlus...for ME it's hard because the right foods are much more expensive than the bad foods. .. when I went to my Dr. He made it easy to understand...Example. .it may take 3500 calories a day to sustain my 270 lbs...so if I take in 1500 calories and my body us burning up a day you lose weight. And like you both said junk food is empty calories and way way heavy in fat. So 400 calorie cookie is way different on our body than 400 calories of fresh veggies fruit & proteins
    So all those starving kids in Africa are obese and storing fat because they are not getting enough calories. That makes a heck of a lot of sense /sarcasm

Well, duh. You think those bellies are from worms or something?
  • sjaplo
    sjaplo Posts: 974 Member
    Options
    No such animal as starvation mode. Further - rice, beans, veggies, quinoa, barley etc. are a lot cheaper than pre-packaged foods. The problem is that there should be food education in schools or at least food education for those on welfare. It's just easier to buy chips and pop.
  • hnsr1021
    hnsr1021 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    "Those bellies" are filled with fluid, not fat... The "african" kids y'all are talking about suffer from kwashiorkor which is from not enough protein. Look it up!
  • imaginaryplant
    imaginaryplant Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    No such animal as starvation mode. Further - rice, beans, veggies, quinoa, barley etc. are a lot cheaper than pre-packaged foods. The problem is that there should be food education in schools or at least food education for those on welfare. It's just easier to buy chips and pop.

YUP, sorry, starvation mode is a poo poo lie.

It's actually cheaper to shop at Trader Joes than Albertsons in my opinion. Healthier food at Trader Joes. They do accept food program cards also.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Wow. Just wow.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options
    Yes. Absolutely true. If too many calories are cut out and don't feed the body the right nutrients or enough it will go into a starvation mode and store fat. Plus...for ME it's hard because the right foods are much more expensive than the bad foods. .. when I went to my Dr. He made it easy to understand...Example. .it may take 3500 calories a day to sustain my 270 lbs...so if I take in 1500 calories and my body us burning up a day you lose weight. And like you both said junk food is empty calories and way way heavy in fat. So 400 calorie cookie is way different on our body than 400 calories of fresh veggies fruit & proteins

Good foods in bulk are very cheap.

In regards to weight loss, counting 400 calories in a cookie or 400 calories in fresh veggies/fruit/protein are exactly the same things when it's all said and done.
  • LazSommer
    Options

Wow. Just wow.

096ed6_4574676.jpg
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    Not having enough to eat puts the body into starvation mode which makes the body hoard every calorie it intakes which leads to increased fat stores beacuse it is biologically prepping itself for your decreased/inadequate calorie intake leading to obesity

So much anti-science in this that it gave me a headache.
  • RunMyOregonBunsOff
    RunMyOregonBunsOff Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    As others have said, more than starvation mode, it is a matter of high calories and not enough nutrients in their diets. I'm sure what you read was regarding people still in their own homes so they can actually store food and cook things so the do need more education on how to cook things like beans, rice and quinoa but if it was also about people that are in shelters or on the street that don't have a way of storing very much food let alone preparing it, they end up buying a lot of heat and serve, high calorie/low nutrient foods.
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    because 2 dollars can buy you 750 calories worth of mcdoubles.
  • imaginaryplant
    Options

Wow. Just wow.

096ed6_4574676.jpg

What do you suppose is an "ilerminaty" is?
  • jimrichardson00
    jimrichardson00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options

I'm going to go with the Illuminati and hope I'm not right. Your guess is as good as mine.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    You can consume a surplus of energy and not get enough actual nutrition which is what I think the primary issue is. I would also suggest that their overall diets are probably so poor that they're hormones, etc are out of whack which just exacerbates dietary problems...in that RE, things go beyond CICO
  • imaginaryplant
    Options

I'm going to go with the Illuminati and hope I'm not right. Your guess is as good as mine.

I think you are right...the sad thing is, these are kids...where are they learning this from? Ignorant adults. :(