Get colds after exercising?

Options
Whenever I really push myself with weight training, I feel like I get a cold within a day or two of the tough workout (this does not happen with cardio for me). Last night, I went to a barre class that I knew would make my body ache today, but I felt so proud. Then, I wake up not only with muscle soreness (which is fine/shows that it's working!) but also a sore throat, headache, stuffy nose, etc. And this isn't the first time that pushing myself in a workout has resulted in a seemingly bad immune response.

Does this happen to anyone else?!? It is the least motivating thing, because it means that whenever I feel like I'm on a roll with this whole weight loss thing, I end up spending two or three days in bed sick (which doesn't help me lose the weight).

Replies

• LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands after dealing with the general public.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    That happened to me when I used to cut too much.

You're probably not eating enough, try and be super accurate with your numbers and shaving 100 cals off your tdee everyday.

It's a lifetime journey!

You getting enough protein?
  • julieshul
    julieshul Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Oh I do wash my hands! I work in public health, so I am extremely careful about that.

I really think it is some link between my muscles working and my immune system, but I wish I could just stop it all.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Wash your hands after dealing with the general public.

I was thinking this too! Don't rub your eyes, put your fingers near mouth or nose. I have to be really diligent with this stuff as I'm a singer and if I get ill, I lose money straight away..
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    I lift weights regularly and eat right and get lots of nutrition....I haven't had a cold in over two years.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I take a long hiatus from lifting and then go back to it... the next day or two I get a bad sore throat and feel pretty crappy for the next couple days.

I've never understood WHY this happens... but it happens *every* time I take a break and go back to it.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    This happens to me when I take a long hiatus from lifting and then go back to it... the next day or two I get a bad sore throat and feel pretty crappy for the next couple days.

I've never understood WHY this happens... but it happens *every* time I take a break and go back to it.

Me too. I don't have a problem as long as I'm consistent.
  • julieshul
    julieshul Posts: 10 Member
    Options

Me too. I don't have a problem as long as I'm consistent.

Interesting. I think this might be my answer!
  • MrGonzo05
    MrGonzo05 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I really think it is some link between my muscles working and my immune system

LOL
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Try ramping up slower. For example, start by doing 1/3 of the Barre class, then 2 or 3 days later do 2/3 of the class, then do the full class in another 2-3 days. Don't let 4-5 days go by where you don't do some form of strength training. Post your results in a week or 2.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Are you taking rest days and getting good sleep? I haven't really been sick in at least a year, but any twinge of a sore throat and rest becomes my #1 priority, as well as eating well.
  • rogerOb1
    rogerOb1 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    If you don't already, try taking a good multivitamin, or an immune health booster like Echinacea
  • perrylam
    Options
    Weight training puts an enormous amount of stress on your system. If your body is already in a compromised state your immune system may drop allowing for a virus to take hold. You may need to take BCAA's to assist your immune system when under stress.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/3-main-reasons-you-need-to-use-bcaas.htm
    http://jn.nutrition.org/content/136/1/288S.full